DYNASTY '69 : Trailer 3

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Rewriting history, Dynasty '69 is an alternate universe which imagines what could have transpired between some of the characters in 1969.

FOR ANYONE NEW TO THESE TRAILERS THEY NEED TO BE WATCHED IN ORDER.

Trailer 3 picks up right where the second one finished. Sable and Frankie's mother comes to California for Jason's funeral and to meddle in her daughter's lives. The investigation into Jason's death gets under way and it all becomes too much for Frankie. Meanwhile in Denver, Alexis decides she's not giving up Blake without a fight.

This turned out to be a long one! There will also be a final trailer but it will be shorter, as this one was a lot of work. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Just fabulous, as usual. Anyway, I can´t help feeling sorry for poor Liz. Oh and wasn´t Horman Mess (or whatever he was called) in it too?

However, Miss Piggy is angry because her part ended up on the cutting room floor...!

"So. Shall I appear in the DVD deleted scenes...at least?"​

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just fabulous, as usual. Anyway, I can´t help feeling sorry for poor Liz. Oh and wasn´t Horman Mess (or whatever he was called) in it too?

However, Miss Piggy is angry because her part ended up on the cutting room floor...!

"So. Shall I appear in the DVD deleted scenes...at least?"​

Thanks Toni!

Well, Liz had it coming.

I do need a stunt double for Stephanie Beacham in trailer 4 if Miss Piggy would be available?

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks Toni!

Well, Liz had it coming.

I do need a stunt double for Stephanie Beacham in trailer 4 if Miss Piggy would be available?

She asked me to make a statement for her, saying that she "doesn´t do" stunts, but thank you anyway.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Agatha Scott is such a bitch, telling the court that Frankie was an unfit mother. If she had gotten custody of Jeff she would only use him to negotiate a deal with Andrew Colby.
"Your son (Jason) must marry my daughter, or you will never see your grandson again". Clever Agatha was betting on two horses because she also tried to persuade Zach Powers to marry Sable, apparently she had no idea that this was his intention all along.
And then Cecil outsmarted her when he convinced Frankie to give Jeff to him, hence Frankie's nervous breakdown.
Yes, it all makes perfect sense now. Thanks, Richard!

My goodness, what a viper's nest!

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Once again Richard you have outdone yourself. These trailers are sublime. You manage to tell a story in such a short piece. I love the dark undertones to these trailers and your choice of music is spot on. I keep saying there is a story just waiting to be unleashed surrounding Alexis and her early years in England, then America and back to Europe after she fled Denver.

10/10 :clap:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can´t help but wonder...is Alexis´s battle with the ants (a nightmare, I guess) going to be featured in another trailer...? It could be kind of "origin story" to why Alexis became such a viper...because of the ants´ symbolic sting in dreams?

upload_2018-7-15_12-43-13.jpeg

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Agatha Scott is such a bitch, telling the court that Frankie was an unfit mother. If she had gotten custody of Jeff she would only use him to negotiate a deal with Andrew Colby.
"Your son (Jason) must marry my daughter, or you will never see your grandson again". Clever Agatha was betting on two horses because she also tried to persuade Zach Powers to marry Sable, apparently she had no idea that this was his intention all along.
And then Cecil outsmarted her when he convinced Frankie to give Jeff to him, hence Frankie's nervous breakdown.
Yes, it all makes perfect sense now. Thanks, Richard!

My goodness, what a viper's nest!

I like you're interpretation Willie! We are kind of on the same page with some of it but as a lot of what goes on is kind of ambiguous so it is certainly open to interpretation.

The trailer hints at things but there's a lot we don't know. How much does Sable know? What did she find in her dressing room after the explosion? She certainly seems to have her suspicions, but we don't know for sure what she knows. Same goes for Connie, although Connie seems to know a lot. What does Philip know? There was a lot of things that get touched on that I would have loved to have expanded on but the trailer kept getting longer and longer as it was.

I'd like to have explored Zach/Sable more, I did plan a scene where he's putting the moves on her but it didn't come together in the end. Sable/Frankie, I did have a scene where they confront each other but decided to leave it out. I thought it was better to leave things more ambiguous. Frankie/Philip, again it would have be interesting to see where they were at with all that was going down, but there wasn't time.

Anyway, Agatha. Yes she is a bitch. Not only is she drinking champagne with Zach with Jason hardly cold in the ground, she's trying to arrange a marriage between him and Sable without seeming to be too bothered that he may be the number one suspect in Jason's murder. I watched a scene recently between Jeff and Sable in season 9 where he accuses her on coming to Denver and sniffing around Blake in search of 'a new coat of arms' and this motivation is very much what I had in mind for Agatha. Someone who seeks power and status for herself and her daughters no matter what the cost. We know that she knew about Jason and Frankie since trailer 1 so she's probably not Jason's biggest fan and is quite happy to get Sable married off to another millionaire asap.

Frankie's breakdown I saw more as a result of A. Getting dumped by Jason and then him dying. B. Possibly being found out by Philip and losing him as well at the end of the last trailer? But nothing was clarified. C. Having to hide her grief from her sister and her husband while also being under the constant risk of being exposed by the police investigation.

So I guess that's be enough to give anyone a breakdown, and also I wanted Frankie to get her comeuppance. Mistresses getting their comeuppance being a bit of a theme for this one. In the scene where she says he's not dead I don't know if she's really losing the plot or she actually somehow knows Jason is not dead, but either way it's enough to get her sent to the loony bin. The scene where she's being taken away in the ambulance (also, who's hand touches the window, Philip? Or Jason?) originally had Agatha's voice over it saying 'I think you will have a hard time making people believe you' which would imply it was her who had her committed. And why? Cause she wants to get custody of Jeff so she can hand him over to Cecil who can mould him into the kind of ruthless businessman that he is. I haven't ruled out a scene in trailer 4 where this happens, but I'm not sure if it will or if there'd be suitable footage. Most of trailer 4 is already mapped out but not all of it.

So anyway, that's my take on the Agatha/Frankie scenario, or my thinking behind the scenes, but nothing's really set in stone so it's all open to speculation.

Last edited:

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And what about "Alexis: The high school years"...?

Ah there's so much that could be done with Dynasty's past if I had the time and the inclination, but I think after the next trailer I will be retiring from trailer making for a while! It's very time consuming and also there are other soapy projects I want to get working on.

Also, when making these trailers one thing that was difficult was portraying a young Alexis, as Joan didn't really start to play bitchy characters until the mid 70's. So there isn't really footage of her making bitchy remarks, throwing shade and dishing out acidic put downs. So it was a challenge, especially in this trailer where I knew she was gonna have to take down Liz's character somehow, (in the last one she was with Blake and for the most part getting what she wanted so it wasn't an issue) but I didn't really have footage of her being the bitch I knew she would need to be.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He even manages to use clips where the names match!

I got really lucky a couple of times. I found a TV show from 1969 where Peter Mark Richman plays a lawyer called Andy, and then I also found an old episode of 'To Catch A thief' with Bette Davis with a 'Mr.Powers' in it. The quality wasn't great so I couldn't use any scenes from it but that little piece of audio came in very handy.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Once again Richard you have outdone yourself. These trailers are sublime. You manage to tell a story in such a short piece. I love the dark undertones to these trailers and your choice of music is spot on. I keep saying there is a story just waiting to be unleashed surrounding Alexis and her early years in England, then America and back to Europe after she fled Denver.

10/10 :clap:

Thank you Rove. The music is something I spent a lot of time searching for to get it right. There were 4 different pieces needed and I spent a long time listening to a lot of movie scores!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ah there's so much that could be done with Dynasty's past if I had the time and the inclination, but I think after the next trailer I will be retiring from trailer making for a while! It's very time consuming and also there are other soapy projects I want to get working on.

Also, when making these trailers one thing that was difficult was portraying a young Alexis, as Joan didn't really start to play bitchy characters until the mid 70's. So there isn't really footage of her making bitchy remarks, throwing shade and dishing out acidic put downs. So it was a challenge, especially in this trailer where I knew she was gonna have to take down Liz's character somehow, (in the last one she was with Blake and for the most part getting what she wanted so it wasn't an issue) but I didn't really have footage of her being the bitch I knew she would need to be.
If I remember correctly, she turned a little bitchy aways into SEVEN THIEVES but I haven't seen it in a long time -- although Joan would love you to believe she was in school in 1960.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
These are so additive, almost intoxicating. Will we learn why Jason faked his death? And did Elizabeth fake her suicide?

Did anybody ever come up with a name for Taylor? "Lady Queen Countess Fountainella" is just so complicated...

K

Karin Schill

Another excellent trailer. :clap:

I really enjoy the creativity of these and I can see you've put in a lot of work on it. Although I must say that it helps not knowing which movies the clips are from as I find myself getting distracted by the Elizabeth Taylor clips since I know which movies they are from. So that's a type of intertextuality that I could do without in this circumstance! :cool1

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Will we learn why Jason faked his death?

I don't think so. Actually as things stand at the moment this trailer is the end of the line for the Colbys/California story lines. The focus will be on Dynasty characters and Denver for the finale, with one or two Colbys characters making an appearance. Originally this trailer, like the last one, was supposed to be the final one, so Jason's resurrection was the final scene for the Colbys characters. But who knows, while I'm working on these things they tend to take on a life of their own and go in directions I hadn't thought of. Anyway, that's not to say there isn't plenty in store for the final trailer, which should be pretty epic if all goes to plan.

Off the top of my head I'd say perhaps Jason, knowing that someone wanted him dead, decided it would be safer to stay dead until they found out who the killer was. I assume people got that it turned out to be Cecil? (who then pulls a gun on Connie when she confronts him about it) It's hard for me to know if what's clear to me is actually translating and people get it. Like when the car blew up at the end of trailer 2 it became clear from people's feedback that they didn't realize it was Jason. And I guess why would they as I'm not likely to kill off someone who's actually alive in the real show in the 80's. Before trailer 2 got divided up into trailers 2 and 3 my aim was to create a whodunnit scenario with various suspects but it didn't really work out, as a quick scene here or there with the various characters isn't really sufficient to set that up, plus it didn't really translate that Jason was in the car. Which he wasn't anyway.

Did anybody ever come up with a name for Taylor? "Lady Queen Countess Fountainella" is just so complicated...

Nothing was decided but she definitely needs one as she's ended up having quite an important role.