Telly Talk's Favourite TV Characters

THE SPIN-OFF

Dynasty and I: A 23 years old watches Dynasty for the 1st time

tommie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was Catherine Oxenberg really a fan favorite or is this just wishful thinking by some of her few loyal fans? Amanda was part of the unpopular Moldavia storyline and even in pre-internet days everybody knew about and witnessed her bad acting.
To be fair - the Moldavia storyline only became unpopular in season 6 because it became directionless. Up until the wedding non-massacre, there doesn't really seem to be major complaints about it.

colbyco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was Catherine Oxenberg really a fan favorite or is this just wishful thinking by some of her few loyal fans? Amanda was part of the unpopular Moldavia storyline and even in pre-internet days everybody knew about and witnessed her bad acting. After Dynasty Oxenberg did some tv movies like any other soap actor would, but it's not like Hollywood was waiting for this so-called fan favorite. I think replacing Krystle, Dominique or Sammy Jo with another actress in season 7 would have been a much bigger shock for fans than this Amanda recast.
- when "STAR" asked in 1987 which Dynasty star did you miss most Amanda was named second after Sable - and I have the papers to prove it ;)
also in Germany she got a tv award only PSM got before ...
thanks to her royality, her beauty and her storyline (it was her season the show ranked number 1) the show got a lot of publicity and magazine covers ... she was the bride of the year, her marriage was the marriage of the year
- after Dynasty Hollywood wasn´t even waiting for Collins or Forsythe!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From a soap point of view I think the only interesting thing about Amanda is her sexy affair with Dex.
I understand that romance is an important of soap but they didn't give me a good reason to care for these new characters Amanda and Prince Michael, let alone their relationship.
It certainly looked the part, especially in reference to Princess Diana, but overall it was a bit of a snoozefest.
Then we got the spectacular cliffhanger (but that had nothing to do with Amanda herself) and then the never-ending Moldavians in Denver "story". I think it's even worse than the infamous season 7.2.
There was also the paternity issue which was the complete opposite of the exciting paternity issues in THE COLBYS. Because in the spin-off it actually had an effect on the story and the characters involved.

I agree with @Monzo that the recast didn't bother me that much, however, somehow they managed to make Amanda look even less interesting. In a weird way, that's almost an accomplishment.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
The Carringtons weren't just obsessed with nazis -- it seems to have worked the other way around as well.

It's well-documented that Hitler's pal and right hand man, Rudolf Hess, spent his time in Spandau Prison watching his favorite shows, DALLAS and DYNASTY until he died at age 92 in 1987.

So, see? Season 7 was so bad it actually killed Rudolf Hess... One wonders how he might have felt about the revelations of Season 9 if he'd lasted that long... I don't think they had cable in Hell yet.

We don't know how long Hitler survived. But rumors that he escaped that bunker in Berlin for a life in Argentina suggest he didn't make it past the mid-'80s. Which would also imply Season 7 killed him, too.

colbyco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Carringtons weren't just obsessed with nazis -- it seems to have worked the other way around as well.

It's well-documented that Hitler's pal and right hand man, Rudolf Hess, spent his time in Spandau Prison watching his favorite shows, DALLAS and DYNASTY until he died at age 92 in 1987.

So, see? Season 7 was so bad it actually killed Rudolf Hess... One wonders how he might have felt about the revelations of Season 9 if he'd lasted that long... I don't think they had cable in Hell yet.

We don't know how long Hitler survived. But rumors that he escaped that bunker in Berlin for a life in Argentina suggest he didn't make it past the mid-'80s. Which would also imply Season 7 killed him, too.

- Hitler died in Berlin ... the Russians have found his body their and brought his skill to Moscau ...

colbyco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
----------------

Some of the soldiers thought the body wasn't Hitler. And others felt it looked like his security double.

But who knows?
- I saw various documentaries. The russians and later some experts of the film team compared the teeth with the records of Adolf´s dentist ...
it was him.

The2ndLostSonOfAlexis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Titanic
I have now watched all episodes of season 7 and here are a just a couple of my thoughts:
- I can say with full certainty that season 7 is not gonna be my favorite Dynasty season. In fact it’s the season I enjoyed the least.
- I’m probably gonna get crucified for that opinion but I enjoyed the second half of S7 more than first half, because most of the things I liked happened in the later part. And here is why: S7A tried to build on the great dynamic of 6B with Blake losing DC and trying to rebuild his empire , Alexis owning DC, CC and the Carrington Mansion. What might sounded great on paper didn’t worked on screen. Alexis felt lost in the mansion since they didn’t capitalize on fact that she was now the owner. Instead of letting her celebrate her achievement like an roman emperor with endless balls, partys and toy boys she was just there. At least we got the Black&White Ball. I never got why never got her any toy boys when she wasnt married. It would certainly underlined her image as a strong and powerful, yet playful woman.. It would have added the much needed campy element which was almost totally absent in season 7 and which I loved so much in the previous seasons. (Probably the second point why I’m gonna get crucified :D ). Blake trying to rebuild his empire was okay but could have been more existing.

(+) the introduction of Leslie and Dana is definitely the most positive fact about Season 7. I even think they should have introduced Dana in S6 and saved us from that Adam&Claudia Drama. Leslie in tandem with Clay works better for me than SJ& Clay because they both seem to be on the same intellectual level.
(+)The Krystina Drama: I liked the family drama around Krystina’s Health. It was a welcome changed from the more business heavy plot of S7A
(+) S7 turned Adam into my favorite Carrington child. The Adam/Michael Drama might be a bit far fetched so many season after his introduction in Season 3. The reintroduction of Neil McVane as his nemesis probably contributed to this feeling of being far fetched cause I already forgot he existed and McVane was only focused on Alexis in S3-5. However the way Gordon Thomson played Adam with an identity crisis really elevated that! He was my personal highlight of S7.
(+) NewAmanda left! Bye Bye! Auf Wiedersehen! Au revoir! I didn’t miss her a single bit after that.
(-/+) Dex is an angel. But apart from the failed marriage proposal here isn’t much about him in S7
(-) Carress leaving. She didn’t really contribute much to S7 in comparison to S6 but I still loved her dearly
(-) Alexis in the second Half felt as if she was sidelined. Furthermore, I don’t think she should moved into the Carlton. It gave me aging—starlet-vibes. Like Marlene Dietrich in her last years but Alexis still left the room. She should have gone back to the penthouse for sure! Alexis isn’t made for a rustic atmosphere like the Carrington Mansion or The Carlton, at least for longer periods of time.
(-/+) Steven & SJ. After Gay Steven (S1), Straigt Steven (S2-S4) and Gay Steven (S5-S6), Steven is straight once again. While I must admit that the reconciliation between SJ& Steven due to Danny was good plot at least for me, moving together, kissing and playing happy family is a bit too unrealistic after what went on, especially with regards to S5&6. Just stick with him being gay! If the writers really didn’t know what they should do with him, write him out with a BANG:

While I was wandering through these forum someone proposed a plot line with HIV/AIDS and I think this would have been something for many reasons, especially for the ailing season 7.

First of all, Would it have been too much? I wouldn’t say so even though it was the 80s. Dynasty already touched on controversial issues before e.g. abortion, mental health, having a gay son and I think they always did it respectfully. Second Dynasty had a lot of other, ridiculous controversies. Why not have a thoughtfull controversy his time. It would fitted the long list of family tragedies that are a part of the Dynasty DNA.
It would have certainly made waves...and maybe pushed the ratings.

But I‘m aware that ABC might have pulled the plug on this story early on due to pressure from their advertisers, the overall opinion it was too much for the average viewer and the social circumstancea of the 80s
I’m still convinced it would have been much more highly regarded in retro perspective than the more ridiculous plots like Rita/Krystle and UFO-Fallon.

The Plot would be something like: Steven meeting a new guy while going out due to having another identity crisis, they talk, talk talk and they ended up in bed together (obviously behind closed doors for the average 80s viewer). Steven falls ill and it turns out he‘s got HIV. While his health deteriorates over the course of the season, we would see how the Carringtons would reacted. Blake&Adam having no compassion and understanding for Steven, while Krystle, Alexis and Dominique would have stood by his side until the end. It would have led to a lot of family drama and many tears. Last scene would have been Blake attempting to make peace with Steven after Krystle (and maybe Fallon) begging him to do so. But it‘s too late.

This would have been the grand arc of season 7 according to my imagination. I’m aware that the execution of such a taboo issue would have been hard but I’m also convinced that they would have done it with respect and dignity.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would have hated to see Steven dying of AIDS, but having a former lover telling him he got AIDS and Steven panicking and questioning his homosexuality (to point of being straight again for a while ?) would have been nice. Also, it might have been more acceptable for ABC.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
The Plot would be something like: Steven meeting a new guy while going out due to having another identity crisis, they talk, talk talk and they ended up in bed together (obviously behind closed doors for the average 80s viewer). Steven falls ill and it turns out he‘s got HIV. While his health deteriorates over the course of the season, we would see how the Carringtons would reacted. Blake&Adam having no compassion and understanding for Steven, while Krystle, Alexis and Dominique would have stood by his side until the end. It would have led to a lot of family drama and many tears. Last scene would have been Blake attempting to make peace with Steven after Krystle (and maybe Fallon) begging him to do so. But it‘s too late.

I've had this in mind for Season 8 ever since Season 8. There could be some issue about how Steven contracted it since he and Bart ("Fox") had diligently practiced safe sex... Was it Ted Dinard, before the virus was outed? Was it Chris Deegan, who's now dying of the disease? We could follow Deegan's deterioration that season, thus motivating Steven to leave Denver for special medical treatment elsewhere.

However, I see Blake being very supportive, realizing that the son he's often rejected is on borrowed time. Conversely, Alexis shuts down emotionally --- the once 'supportive' parent unable to handle it (which I've heard of happening) leading mother and son to engage in a tragic passive-aggressive series of non-conversational conversations, when they speak at all.

Remember her gushing "I can't" call her daughter to patch things up?

To me, that's more interesting.

I picture autumnal Alexis-Steven moments like Mary Tyler Moore attempting to talk, albeit shallowly, to Timothy Hutton in ORDINARY PEOPLE -- and it going badly:

Last edited:

The2ndLostSonOfAlexis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Titanic
I would have hated to see Steven dying of AIDS, but having a former lover telling him he got AIDS and Steven panicking and questioning his homosexuality (to point of being straight again for a while ?) would have been nice. Also, it might have been more acceptable for ABC.
I understand your point of view. While Steven#1 was a more emotional deeper character than Steven#2, the later is responsible for two of my favourite Dynasty scenes ( The Homecoming & the grieving about Luke).
Killing him/ writing him of would have been a very hard decision, also for me as a viewer.
My proposal was mostly based on two reasons:
First, the lack of a consistent storyline for Steven. Gay, not gay, married, not married......
Second, the aim trying to light a fire under an ailing tv series with a highly controversial story.

I agree that your proposal was possibly the furthest they could go and would have been easier to realise than my more outlandish and controversial proposal.

tommie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I understand your point of view. While Steven#1 was a more emotional deeper character than Steven#2, the later is responsible for two of my favourite Dynasty scenes ( The Homecoming & the grieving about Luke).
Killing him/ writing him of would have been a very hard decision, also for me as a viewer.
My proposal was mostly based on two reasons:
First, the lack of a consistent storyline for Steven. Gay, not gay, married, not married......
Second, the aim trying to light a fire under an ailing tv series with a highly controversial story.

I agree that your proposal was possibly the furthest they could go and would have been easier to realise than my more outlandish and controversial proposal.
I agree - as hard as it is to kill off a long-running character, I think it would've been the shot in the arm that the show needed and would've acted as an umbrella story as it would've inevitably affected the entire cast. If they wanted more "emotional" family storylines (hence the Krystina transplant storyline) that could've been it. Of course ABC would've never in a million years allowed it and considering that Jack Coleman seemed to have a stick up his butt with Steven's sexuality at that point I'm not sure if he wouldn't have thrown a fit and tried to sabotage the story in every way possible.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree - as hard as it is to kill off a long-running character, I think it would've been the shot in the arm that the show needed and would've acted as an umbrella story as it would've inevitably affected the entire cast. If they wanted more "emotional" family storylines (hence the Krystina transplant storyline) that could've been it. Of course ABC would've never in a million years allowed it and considering that Jack Coleman seemed to have a stick up his butt with Steven's sexuality at that point I'm not sure if he wouldn't have thrown a fit and tried to sabotage the story in every way possible.

What of waste of a stick.

The2ndLostSonOfAlexis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Titanic
I've had this in mind for Season 8 ever since Season 8. There could be some issue about how Steven contracted it since he and Bart ("Fox") had diligently practiced safe sex... Was it Ted Dinard, before the virus was outed? Was it Chris Deegan, who's now dying of the disease? We could follow Deegan's deterioration that season, thus motivating Steven to leave Denver for special medical treatment elsewhere.

However, I see Blake being very supportive, realizing that the son he's often rejected is on borrowed time. Conversely, Alexis shuts down emotionally --- the once 'supportive' parent unable to handle it (which I've heard of happening) leading mother and son to engage in a tragic passive-aggressive series of non-conversational conversations, when they speak at all.
Maybe it was you who inspired me, if you already posted this idea here :)
If the writers had gone for his story it needed meticulous planning. Season 6 could have laid the ground work for this and needed only minor alteration according to my imagination:
- Luke obviously dies in Moldavia and Steven can’t handle it. He is left alone in his grieving process. Krystle is maybe the only one he opens up but only reluctantly. It would give us some good Krystle&Steven scene just like in good old S1
- Steven starts to go out more after his work days in need of distraction . He stops while the Bart&Steven plot gains traction. Unlike in the real S6 Bart tells Steven that he originally had feeling for him but he has his eyes on a another guy or something like this
- Steven feels emotionally betrayed, alongside his grieving. He meets another guy (the one!) at the end of S6
- The beginning of S7 marks the start for the plot to take off: He’s catches HIV, is too ashamed to open up, becomes ill and is more and more incapable to fulfill his role as an employee at ColbyCo and his role as father. At first he tries to hide it but it all becomes public. Then the family drama starts with those who try to stick with Steven (definitely Krystle, Dominique and Fallon) and those who reject him (definitely Adam).
- I think Blake would have rejected Steven at first but after Krystle made him clear he’s losing another child and therefore he’s slowly changing behavior towards Steven
- Alexis would probably be an emotional mess since she’s so devoted to her children. She tries to give Steven emotional support at first while at the same time is in need of emotional support too (“Hello Dex it’s your turn”). While his health deteriorates even more Alexis either shuts down emotional completely and turns away from Steven as you mentioned already @Snarky Oracle or she devotes herself even more to Steven.
- We can say at least it would have opened about huge potential when it comes to storytelling and the emotional development of the characters.
- Last scene would be something like Blake holding Stevens hand in the hospital while he realizes it’s too late. End of S7.

You’re totally right! ABC would have never allowed such a story to be the grand arc of a major prime time tv series. Second, Jack Coleman would have probably refused to do it because it was already too much for him to play a gay character in the 80s.

Even If they settled for such a plot, I could have been a make or break for the show. If the execution would have been good with tense storytelling and emotional scenes it would have been a shot of adrenaline for the show in its last years. I bet public controversy would be inevitable, dividing the public into “How dare they show something like this?” and “What an emotional and brave story”. A bit of controversy is never too bad for show...

However if they had butchered this plot, (Coleman, the producers sabotaging), S7 would probably have been the last season of Dynasty. I don’t know why but I’m think if Al Corley still had been Steven, he would had the guts to do it. In the end there are more risks than benefits if you look at it from an 80s perspective.

Nonetheless I would have made great television If they had the bravery to do it and I think it would be among those iconic moment like the cat fight and the Moldavian Massacre.

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes Al Corey wanted to play a gay character. Jack Coleman resented that. Both actors are straights. But only one was brave and/or confortable and confident enough with his own sexuality to play character from the other team.

colbyco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes Al Corey wanted to play a gay character. Jack Coleman resented that. Both actors are straights. But only one was brave and/or confortable and confident enough with his own sexuality to play character from the other team.
- Al wanted to play the part because it was different. Jack wanted to play the part because Dynasty was a number 1 show!

The2ndLostSonOfAlexis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Titanic
I‘ve watched the first two episodes of season 8 and let me say.... I’m a bit perplexed! Speechless so to say...
UFO, Matthew Blaisdel returning after 7 seasons as a reincarnated Guerilla warlord!
This makes the Moldavia Massacre looks like it was written by Shakespeare himself.

The writers must have been on some very heavy stuff around this point of the series. They should have listened to Nancy Reagan’s Mantra “Just say no!”