• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dynasty and I: A 23 years old watches Dynasty for the 1st time

The2ndLostSonOfAlexis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
As the title of the thread already indicated, I'am watching Dynasty for the first time and this my first post on this forum.

First of all, let me introduce myself. I'am 23 years old and of course wasn't even born when Dynasty first aired in my home country Germany (commonly known as Denver Clan in Germany ), nor the re-runs aired on TV. But somehow I discovered Dynasty while I was looking for something to mentally escape these dreadful times of endless lockdowns and coronavirus news.
I wouldn't describe myself as a typical viewer of Tv series who does binge watching, one series after another. I don't even have Netflix or Amazon Prime because I cannot simply watch a series because I need something to watch. I kinda need to relate on a mental level to the characters and plots. Otherwise I'm not interested at all. However Dynasty and I matched in early February of this year. The concept of wealth, glamour and ridiculous plots appealed to me, so I ordered the first three season. In the next two days I'm going to finish Season 6.

In this thread I want to share my personal first impressions and I'm looking for for many more discussions. I hope that my written English is acceptabl. Sorry for the mistakes and I’m sure there will be plenty but I haven’t written a full English text in ages.

Starting with the Season 1. As I said I expected a uber-campy, glitzy, glamour tv show. When I heard that Season 1 wasn't even close to this, my first thought was Its going to be dull and boring and I have to get through it until Alexis/Joan arrives in Season 2. However I was surprised how much I loved the first season of Dynasty. It is certainly very different if you compare it e.g. with season 5 and 6. It reached a certain level of profundity that none of the following Seasons reached. Steven critizing the excess of the wealthy and powerful, Krystle not feeling comfortable in this world of money & power, Matthew trying to get this share of the American Dream. Not the mention the excellent cast, especially Al Corley as Steven and PSM as Fallon. Oh, how much I miss these two.
Steven struggling with his sexual identity came across as heartfelt and truthful until they completely castrated the charachter.

I get why may think this is one of the best parts of Dynasty (It had a plot at least) while at the same people don't like because it's a far cry from glamour-heavy seasons that followed.
But I have to agree that Dynasty needed a little spice and Fallon wasn't enough to carry the entire show on her shoulders.

Season 2
From my perspective one of the best seasons. The show got a new dynamic with the Alexis-Blake-Krystal triangle , Jeff&Fallons rocky marriage, touching issues like abortions. Alexis & Cecil becoming a couple. And this season ended of course in one of the most iconic bitch fights in TV history.
There are only minor things I can criticize, mostly Steven. Instead of marrying Sammy-Jo he should have had a drunken one night stand with her and no marriage. Steven wanting to become a race car driver.....Really!? And the Logan/Cecil Story was kinda useless.

Season 3
This is where the show lost a bit of potential. Killing Cecil Colby was certainly a mistake. Alexis&Cecil vs. Blake&Krystle could have given Us great storylines. The reintroduction of Steven (Jack Coleman) to the family is one of my favorite Dynasty scenes but the searching of Steven way to long. I loved the introduction of Adam while at the same time got quickly annoyed by Kirby.

Season 4
The last season with PSM and you could fell how much this once great character lost all of her edges. The idea of introducing Helmut Berger was interesting but worked only partially. Jeff & Fallon reunited, Kirby finally left, the introduction of Dex & Dominique are things I really enjoyed
Mark Jennings was killed at the end of the season. For whatever reason they kept him so long, he never served any real purpose throughout S4. At least we finally ended up in Court again in Season 5 which I enjoyed

Season 5
One of my favorite season:
- I love a good Court scene and Dynasty really delivered when it comes to that
- the introduction of Amanda.
- the Moldavian Plot
- Steven being gay again with Luke Fuller
- even more glamour

There are only minor things I would have changed that are coming into my mind while I‘m writing this:
- Prince Michael could have been a bit more interesting. He was really stiff
- Lady Mitchell could have been more fierce
- killing more people at the wedding like King Galen&Prince Michael
- Fallon should be death instead of being replaced
- couldn’t care less about Jeff & Nicole. He should have been a playboy instead of going to Bolivia (?) and hunting for a statue

Season 6
6A was certainly problematic. I probably would have disliked it more if had to watch only one episode per Week instead of 2 episodes each day
- I loved the first couple of episodes post-Moldavia: Alexis not being there, Steven grieving the death of Luke and Blake supporting him (one of my favorite Scenes)
- the introduction of the Colbys. They should have used them more throughout Season 6A
- they could have done a kidnapping plot however not with a doppelganger and definitely not 15 or more episodes long
- Joel Abrigore is an interesting character but they could have done so much more if it hadn’t been for the Rita/Krystle Storylines. A psycho kidnapper who blackmails Blake perhaps!?
- Now to King Galen & Michael: I still asked myself what the writers had in mind with this storyline. How they would have ended this plot if it had been done for the entire season !? They should have died during the weeding. At least they wrote them out. Byyyyeee!

Compared to the mess of Season 6A, 6B was nothing short of perfection for me
- The comeback of Alexis vs. Blake/Krystal and ColbyCo vs DC.
- Amanda being a great and interesting character with her affair with Dex and the row with Alexis
- Ben & Caress are simply great
- Steven & Bart
- It was even more glamourous and over the top than season 5 and I loved it
- While I was watching season 6 I noted how I didn’t miss Jeff. He is certainly a nice guy but the is merely a good looking human punching bag for the female characters.

So far I’m really enjoying Dynasty despite some ridiculous plots and wasted potentials. Its the campy, glitzy that even after 40 years brings me joy. I hope the next seasons will deliver (I’ve already read that they aren’t really that good but I hope that I will like them)

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was also watching DYNASTY when I was 23.

I hope the next seasons will deliver (I’ve already read that they aren’t really that good but I hope that I will like them)

You'll like Season 9, I'm pretty sure.

The2ndLostSonOfAlexis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Thank you for the nice welcome wishes!
I‘ve already read a little bit about Season 9 and I‘m already anxious whether I will like this season. I already know that Krystle appears only in a handful of episodes, as well as Alexis. I have to see how this works because these two along with Blake are Dynasty for me.
Furthermore, I’ve read that the glamour and camp level was trimmed by David Paulsen. I know that many people criticized Dynasty for the fact that is was over the top (especially season 4-6) and more style over substance. But the aesthetic is part of the reason why I love Dynasty even though is over 40 years old.

I’ve also read that Sable plays a more prominent role which I will certainly like because I loved her in her tiny parts during season 6

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Starting with the Season 1. As I said I expected a uber-campy, glitzy, glamour tv show. When I heard that Season 1 wasn't even close to this, my first thought was Its going to be dull and boring and I have to get through it until Alexis/Joan arrives in Season 2. However I was surprised how much I loved the first season of Dynasty. It is certainly very different if you compare it e.g. with season 5 and 6. It reached a certain level of profundity that none of the following Seasons reached. Steven critizing the excess of the wealthy and powerful, Krystle not feeling comfortable in this world of money & power, Matthew trying to get this share of the American Dream. Not the mention the excellent cast, especially Al Corley as Steven and PSM as Fallon. Oh, how much I miss these two.
Steven struggling with his sexual identity came across as heartfelt and truthful until they completely castrated the charachter.

Absolutely. I've said it before, but season one of Dynasty is more like something you'd expect to see on cable today rather than the plot-heavy and over-the-top campiness of the later seasons. It's certainly an ambitious product especially when you compare it to its contemporaries that aired at the time; on the other hand perhaps it was too ambitious considering that it featured a huge plot point that they would rarely touch upon in the coming seasons (Krystle's rape). Bizarrely, it comes up in the much-maligned Rita plot in season six.

Season 6
6A was certainly problematic. I probably would have disliked it more if had to watch only one episode per Week instead of 2 episodes each day
I think it helps watching season 6A in as quick of a succession as possible, because as you said the storylines become very repetitive real fast. I don't mind the Rita plot as much as other people do, but I watched it in daily reruns and not weekly stretched over several months. Hell, when I watched Knots Landing the other year, there was a Karen kidnapping plot that lasted like four or five episodes and it ended up getting on my nerves. I think it's just in the nature of kidnapping plots - because either you resolve them quickly or you have to think up ways to keep the status quo, which usually involves a lot of fake-outs. Krystle should've been in the attic for three episodes max.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I‘ve already read a little bit about Season 9 and I‘m already anxious whether I will like this season. I already know that Krystle appears only in a handful of episodes, as well as Alexis. I have to see how this works because these two along with Blake are Dynasty for me.

Krystle is gone after the eighth episode of Season 9, but her exit is poignant and regal and her presence looms over the remainder of the year. And while Joan is in about two out of three episodes, her appearances, disappearances and re-appearances are well-structured, and in many ways Alexis is better used in Season 9 than she had been in years.

Furthermore, I’ve read that the glamour and camp level was trimmed by David Paulsen.

That's always been overstated, even before Season 9 aired. I'd say Paulsen brings them under control so they make more sense; Krystle, Alexis and Sable are still dressed to the nines, as it were, and the camp (like Krystle throwing plates) is now more character-based.

But let us know how it hits you when you watch the final season.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To be fair, I'd say that the whole "glamour" thing started getting toned down as early as season 7. Seasons 1-2 were still kind of 70s hangover while season 3-6 sort of were the height of the "glamour" factor. If anything the last season tried to bring Dynasty into the next decade (which of course didn't happen), while The Reunion tried to drag it back to the glory years (which didn't work since shows need to move forward).

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
- Now to King Galen & Michael: I still asked myself what the writers had in mind with this storyline.
It definitely made more sense when Fallon's portrait changed faces... At least I understood why they cast Michael Praed - fresh from his Robin Hood success in the UK in which he was neither stiff nor dull. But the writers had absolute no clue to deliver something that appeared a tiny bit royal. Helmut Berger would've been probably a better King Galen, it would have been enough if he copied his Ludwig II. performance.

The2ndLostSonOfAlexis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Absolutely. I've said it before, but season one of Dynasty is more like something you'd expect to see on cable today rather than the plot-heavy and over-the-top campiness of the later seasons. It's certainly an ambitious product especially when you compare it to its contemporaries that aired at the time; on the other hand perhaps it was too ambitious considering that it featured a huge plot point that they would rarely touch upon in the coming seasons (Krystle's rape). Bizarrely, it comes up in the much-maligned Rita plot in season six.

You are absolutely right. What really surprised me was that Dynasty touched more or less controversial issues during its first season. I didn’t expected a gay character and a character that struggled with her mental health. The way it was executed was also really dignified and without the stereotypical cliche one would normally expect. I completely forgot that Blake raped Krystle during the end of Season 1. But It had no effect on the plot.
After Season 1 Dynasty didn’t really touched social issues anymore. Perhaps in Season 2 when Fallon wanted an abortion.

I think it helps watching season 6A in as quick of a succession as possible, because as you said the storylines become very repetitive real fast. I don't mind the Rita plot as much as other people do, but I watched it in daily reruns and not weekly stretched over several months. Hell, when I watched Knots Landing the other year, there was a Karen kidnapping plot that lasted like four or five episodes and it ended up getting on my nerves. I think it's just in the nature of kidnapping plots - because either you resolve them quickly or you have to think up ways to keep the status quo, which usually involves a lot of fake-outs. Krystle should've been in the attic for three episodes max.

I think the Rita/Krystle Plot really took the monument away the show had after the the royal wedding. While the viewer got a lavish plot between an oil rich Dynasty and an Eastern European Monarchy in Season 5, we were supposed to enjoy Krystle being looked up in the attic for 15+ episodes !? I will never get why they settle on this plot. Still, I don’t really hate this plot like many other o, but I also didn’t really it.
It is even more mind-boogling that after Rita/Krystle they came with the great Season 6B.
I wished the entire season 6 was more like season 6B which I really enjoyed with Alexis Vs Blake, Amanda vs Dex vs Alexis and of course Ben and Caress being part of the cast.

When I went through his forum I discovered that Dynasty was very prone to retooling. As far as I have seen they retooled season 2, season 6 and season 7? The retooling of season 6 being the most publicized.

To be fair, I'd say that the whole "glamour" thing started getting toned down as early as season 7. Seasons 1-2 were still kind of 70s hangover while season 3-6 sort of were the height of the "glamour" factor. If anything the last season tried to bring Dynasty into the next decade (which of course didn't happen), while The Reunion tried to drag it back to the glory years (which didn't work since shows need to move forward).

Unfortunately ABC decided to cancel the show after Season 9. I would have been interesting how a possible Season 10 and maybe 11 would have looked and felt under David Paulsens creative leadership. I think I read somewhere, maybe it was this forum too, that Sable was supposed to be even more prominently featured in a possible Season 10 and Alexis might have left. Linda Evans already left during season 9. We will never know.

If my impression is correct, based on the reactions I read, that most people consider The Reunion to be Dynasty‘s lowest point.

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Welcome to the forum. Most of your observations are spot on and the majority agree with you.

Season 7 is considered to be the series low point rather than the Reunion where people tuned in out of curiosity and it was meant to wrap up the series.

even Joan Collins admits with season 7 that’s when the series started to lose its sparkle.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But did Krystle conceive as a result of that rape -- the baby Alexis then finished off??
1620077129711.png

The monsters!

But I have to agree that Dynasty needed a little spice and Fallon wasn't enough to carry the entire show on her shoulders
Who Shot JR? is the most iconic cliffhanger, but Enter Alexis is the biggest game changer in the history of prime time soap.
The mini-series feel with all its authentic grandeur (as opposed to the semi-glamour of glittery dresses in cardboard hotel rooms) suggested a definitive ending.
One could argue that the killing of Ted Dinard wasn't just about Blake's anger towards the man who "degraded" his precious son, it was a climax of all the feelings of betrayal: Steven, Krystle, Matthew, Cecil, Fallon - and maybe it's all rooted in that fateful big betrayal from many years ago.
It was the ending of the Carrington dynasty and the Blaisdel family, it simply couldn't get worse.
But instead of ending the story with a few final scenes, they changed it - and the funny thing is, we didn't even know how.
They took the focus away from the inevitable ending and started a new chapter. And that's what made Alexis so important, not because she was going to be Dynasty's answer to JR Ewing because at that time we had no idea what kind of person she was.
Alexis entered a disaster scenario in its final stages - she un-cliffhangered Dynasty while simulteanously giving us a teaser preview that something new and very interesting was going to happen. But what could it be ?

The dramatic close-ups remind me of Dr. Rossi's (pre-)trail in Peyton Place.
1620080527747.png

As for the rape, I'm not going to say that it is different when it happens in a marriage, but the wife may not always perceive it as an attack.
And Blake and Krystle's dysfunctional relationship had that "Beauty & The Beast" kind of vibe, there was always the tantalizing question: when is too much too much?
This dilemma continued with her nemesis from hell, Alexis Morell Carrington. As much as I love the iconic cat fight, it never quite reached that kind of emotional climax again. The lily pond fight looks good too, but it's impossible to watch it without a feeling of "encore".
In hindsight, stepson from hell Adam could have been Krystle's next challenge, and he'd certainly know how to test our beloved heroine. Oh my god, when I think of all the possibilities, and the many many tears that Krystle could have cried during that psychological war.

I loved the introduction of Adam while at the same time got quickly annoyed by Kirby.
I found her more difficult to like than Mark Jennings. Maybe because she was more important and somehow it never really worked.
Krystle should've been in the attic for three episodes max
30 episodes, at least! It was the Twin Peaks of DENVER.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dynasty at its most lush when they do a Mansion Walkthrough accompanied by a dramatic score.
1620087591373.png

It's also interesting times for Alexis, who doesn't know yet she's going to be the villain of the piece.
Here, she's just woman. Looking around, touching her hair. But Krystle knows evil and she's going to nip it in the bud.
As if!

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Who Shot JR? is the most iconic cliffhanger, but Enter Alexis is the biggest game changer in the history of prime time soap.
The mini-series feel with all its authentic grandeur (as opposed to the semi-glamour of glittery dresses in cardboard hotel rooms) suggested a definitive ending.
One could argue that the killing of Ted Dinard wasn't just about Blake's anger towards the man who "degraded" his precious son, it was a climax of all the feelings of betrayal: Steven, Krystle, Matthew, Cecil, Fallon - and maybe it's all rooted in that fateful big betrayal from many years ago.
It was the ending of the Carrington dynasty and the Blaisdel family, it simply couldn't get worse.
But instead of ending the story with a few final scenes, they changed it - and the funny thing is, we didn't even know how.
They took the focus away from the inevitable ending and started a new chapter. And that's what made Alexis so important, not because she was going to be Dynasty's answer to JR Ewing because at that time we had no idea what kind of person she was.
Alexis entered a disaster scenario in its final stages - she un-cliffhangered Dynasty while simulteanously giving us a teaser preview that something new and very interesting was going to happen. But what could it be ?
Yes, Alexis "saved" the show in many ways - all in all, season one feels more like an Ending of a Dynasty rather than the beginning of one - the walls were literally crumbling around them. Krystle also wouldn't have stayed if the status quo of season one hadn't changed in such a significant way by Alexis entering the show - there was little reason for her not to bolt and take up with Matthew and eventually cause everything to go crashing down. Ironically, Alexis was what saved the Carringtons from that particular faith while also trying to take them down herself.

As for the rape, I'm not going to say that it is different when it happens in a marriage, but the wife may not always perceive it as an attack.
I think it's worth to remember that a lot of states at the time hadn't outlawed marital rape, so Krystle might not even had a case against Blake depending on the laws in Colorado at the time. Add that soap operas tended to treat rape as ambigious (due to broadcasting standards) and either they'd cut off before it would become too obvious what happened or do the whole "give-in-to-passion" thing. Afterwards the female character would just act like she had a sudden onset of a mood disorder. So for Dynasty to at the time do it in an umambigious way was rather - and still is - shocking.

Of course then we have the ways how they treated rape in the following seasons.

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 7 is considered to be the series low point rather than the Reunion where people tuned in out of curiosity and it was meant to wrap up the series.
- The Reunion was the low point. Evans: "We never had as much trouble as with this script" - Collins: "An awful idea. This really killed the show."

Welcome @The2ndLostSonOfAlexis ! And yes S6.B is really great! Ben & Caress and the big fight DC vs Colbyco + this epic cliffhanger ...

talking about prince Michael: it seems it was original planed to pair him with Sammy Jo before they re-tooled S6

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My opinion, and mine only : The Reunion is the low point. So low that I deny its existence. In my head it's non canon, it's an alternate pathetic universe I want to forget.