• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dynasty third-season episode "La Mirage": TV Guide ad and listing

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From TV Guide, the New Hampshire edition for the week of Dec. 11, 1982: ad and listing for O-R Dynasty third-season episode "La Mirage", OAD Wed. Dec. 15, 1982 on ABC...

dynastylamirage1.jpg

dynastylamirage2.jpg

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the La Mirage opening could've been more scandalous than it was.

Are you saying you think it was too tame?

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Or just Kirby... Face down in the pool. Would have been nice.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
That awful count could have been found dead in the pool.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Or just Kirby... Face down in the pool. Would have been nice.

Everybody always wants poor Kirby to die.

That awful count could have been found dead in the pool.

I always think Count Pierre du Chalon should have taken the place of Peter Devilbus. At least the smarmy Count isn't quite as repellant -- and that could have gradually led us into the Moldavia plots, with the Count and Prince Michael contemptuous cousins.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for sharing that old TV Guide add. It's interesting to see how they tried to market the show way back when.

Not a problem! Television marketing in general, IMO, was far better way back when.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not a problem! Television marketing in general, IMO, was far better way back when.

The producers and ABC really wanted DYNASTY to supplant DALLAS as TV's #1 show, such that they placed a big ad in nearly every issue of TV GUIDE for nearly every episode of Season 5 during the 1984-85 year -- far beyond the normal amount.

And, with a little help from Donna Reed, it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The producers and ABC really wanted DYNASTY to supplant DALLAS as TV's #1 show, such that they placed a big ad in nearly every issue of TV GUIDE for nearly every episode of Season 5 during the 1984-85 year -- far beyond the normal amount.

And another thing-- I especially loved the old-style NCI captioning icon in many TV Guide ads (and on-screen promos) way back when (that was also in a few opening title sequences way back when as well).

Here's an example of an on-screen notification sequence of such, from ABC in '85:

And here is that old-style captioning icon on a title card, from Nightline in '88:

abcnightline1988cc.jpg

K

Karin Schill

You know call me naive but I've never realized before now that the TV Channels paid money for those ads.:oops:
For some reason I thought they were just in TV Guide as information/teaser for the audience. You know the fact that I don't even think of those ads as "commercial" proves that it worked. I guess advertising was a bit more subtle back then.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Before the internet where we can find spoilers ad infinitum, the TV Guide was the place to get teasers and fun ads such as the ones posted. The internet has provided a lot, but when it comes to t.v. I miss the days where it was just the TV Guide

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
:crazy:

Well, thanks Miss Reed, at least for that. She really was a blessing for my all time favorite Soap. :lol:

Last edited: