Esther Shapiro and Sallie Patrick throws SHADE at TNTDallas

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You put a lot more effort in it than the writers
Of course I don't know how the writers intended it to be (do we ever know for sure?), I just put it the way I saw it happen on screen.
But my view is not more "right" than yours.
hence why they gave him that pointless race car storyline
But it was related to his methane energy, and the fuel service contract with the DCT. It wasn't car racing just for the fun of it.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But it was related to his methane energy, and the fuel service contract with the DCT. It wasn't car racing just for the fun of it.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Who cared?

This is the main character! Hot top! No way he's getting written out! And he's... errr... a race car driver who uses fuel that might be related to the main plot?

Come on. Christopher was useless. Kill him! Kill him! Kill HIM!!!!!

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish they'd fixed dreadful nuDALLAS instead of cancelling it.

All they had to do was fire Cidre. Or have a competition where the viewers win a chance to set her on fire.
What bugs me is that after that execs will forever say "well, we tried the revival and it didn't work," not "we hired people who had no clue and, amazingly, it tanked."

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He surprised me the most. I only knew of Josh from his brief appearance on Desperate Housewives. It was a calculated risk selecting Josh to reprise the role of John Ross rather than have Omri Katz return. Omri owned that role as a youngster.

I had seen him on FX's "Over There" before anything else, and he was dynamite.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All they had to do was fire Cidre. Or have a competition where the viewers win a chance to set her on fire.
What bugs me is that after that execs will forever say "well, we tried the revival and it didn't work," not "we hired people who had no clue and, amazingly, it tanked."

Say what you will about nuDynasty, but it's obvious that the new writers have actually watched the show. Cidre seemed to almost take pride in not having watched the source material. It was baffling - I mean, I understand if she wrote the pilot and didn't have had time to watch everything, but by season three surely you would have just had some sort of desire to at least watch the show out of curiosity?

Even if Dallas had been a complete reboot with a new JR and Bobby, you'd think you would want to see, as a writer, what the original did right and what they did wrong? It's like doing an Alice in Wonderland movie out of cliffnotes.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Say what you will about nuDynasty, but it's obvious that the new writers have actually watched the show.

I completely agree. Then again, in theory the Shapiros are also involved.

Cidre seemed to almost take pride in not having watched the source material.
I think she made it a point not to. She did not care for the genre, period. She wanted to do her own show, with the drug cartel and what not. She put together what was necessary for the show to be greenlit, like the Ewing and Barnes names, some core characters, and then she proceeded to Frankenstein the hell out of it.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think she made it a point not to. She did not care for the genre, period. She wanted to do her own show, with the drug cartel and what not. She put together what was necessary for the show to be greenlit, like the Ewing and Barnes names, some core characters, and then she proceeded to Frankenstein the hell out of it.

As I've said before - for people who enjoyed her TNTDallas they should watch her short-lived show Cane. It's virtually the same show but without the Dallas baggage.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A fun show?
Yeah that sounds like something I would have loved to watch. :)

I haven't watched the nuDynasty pilot so I have no opinion on it. But on paper that show doesn't interest me at all.

The 1950s period piece prequel about Blake and Alexis on the other hand... *sigh* I think that's the worst part about the nuDynasty. It's not the show we or the Shapiro's wanted and once it flops it will ruin the Dynasty brand and all chances of getting the prequel show, which I know could have been great. So it's a shame really. :(
I to would like to have seen a prequel regarding Dynasty set in the 50's. In fact, I believe this TV Show lends itself to that era. It would also benefit from that 3 generation aspect that works in these kind of series. Would be interesting to see Alexis first introduction to the Carrington family. I picture Blake's grandmother to be prudish, rules the Carrington family and mansion with an iron fist.
If done in, say, MAD MEN style, it might work. It's got to be better than a nuDynasty remake.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And if they'd only explained certain things -- does Cliff have a brain tumor, maybe? But nothing was ever explained.
Right. In most cases there was a way to get "here" from "there" if only they'd laid a bit of groundwork.
this is also an issue of continuations/reboots. The new actors have to be good from the start.
Good point.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If a Dynasty prequel was set in the 50's at least we the viewer could suspend belief that an upper class existed. The problem today is those reality shows (especially those Housewives of whatever) have destroyed any distinction of class. They believe their classy but just trailer trash. It's the same feeling I've been getting from those CW Dynasty trailers. I thought we were meant to believe this was the 1% of the 1% mega rich people.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing is - Jesse Metcalfe is a mediocre actor. He could've never sold the whole "I'm adopted here's my real brother thing". It would've fell flat.