Falcon Crest Season 9 Redo

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here’s an idea of what could have been heading into Season 9 without Angela or Maggie:

Season 9 Falcon Crest Alternative . . .

Begin with Maggie kidnapped from the home.

An English nanny arrives with the boys at Falcon Crest. Angela gives them a story of their mom being away with their dad on business and tucks them in at night.

Somber Angela is besides herself in her study. She looks over a letter and seems grief stricken.

In a conference room in prison Angela meets with Richard who has no intention of being civil and is frantic about Maggie. “Listen to me. I don’t have time for this whole I’m not your mother you’re not my son thing. There’s nothing you did I wouldn’t have done to get Falcon Crest except one last thing.”

“And what’s that?”

“I’m still breathing aren’t I?”

“Don’t think I did t think about it.”

“I know you did. Yet you didn’t. But that’s water under the bridge. I need you. No one loves Julia and Emma and much as we do. And I believe you care for Lance and Christopher as well. And there’s your two boys. And if . . . Well things aren’t different but I don’t have time to deal with that now. I’m going to Greece to take care of some things.”

“What things?”

“I’m dying.”

“What?”

“You can’t tell anyone. They can’t handle it. But you can. I’ve got you a full pardon. I’ve also got some friends helping you with smoothing things over with the SEC. I need you to step in. Lance won’t be happy but he can’t manage Falcon Crest. And Chao-Li is going with me.”

“This can’t be happening.”

“It is.” She hands him a large, stuffed envelope. “Despite everything, Richard, you are a Gioberti, your are my son. And I love you.” Angela turns to walk out, tears in her eyes. Richard turns her around and hugs her.

Richard arrives at Falcon Crest and the boys run into his arms. Thrilled to see him. They ask about their mom and he tells them she’s still away working.

Lance stands there. “Richard.”

“Your grandmother explained things to you?”

“She did. She also managed to buy Cole and Vicki out and arrange for Pilar and i to move in to the old Geoberti House. Frank’s going to oversee me running the winery and you’re going to oversee the running the businesses and moving in here.”

“That’s what I’m told. I was also told she acquired the Agretti property.”

“And Chao-Li is going with her. What’s going on?”

“Your grandmother doesn’t think you can hand it. I disagree. Emma and Julia, I agree. But not you. I spoke with Christopher before I came here and told him. She’s dying. Cancer. She’s fighting it, but . . . My mother’s dying.”

“Oh my God. And Maggie?”

“I’m trying to figure that out. And Emma. Honestly Lance I need you. I’m the one who can’t handle this. I can’t handle it all. It’s too much.”

“I can’t imagine. We’ll deal with it. I promise you we will.” Lance hugs Richard.

Daniel drives his car through the winding streets of the Tuscany Valley. A simi pulls right in front of him. He crashes into it and his car explodes.

Richard holds Emma at the funeral as she mourns her husband. Lance and Pilar spread his ashes in the lake.

Richard receives a call from the police.

Ricard identifies Maggie’s body.

Richard cries in his bed at Falcon Crest. Emma tries to console him.

Out in the hall Lance assures Emma he and Pilar will stay as long as she needs them.

The next morning Richard sits in Angela’s study meeting with Frank, Lance and Pilar. He talks about his holdings, what’s left of them as Channing Enterprises and to consolidate control of the Global. Then he talks directly to Pilar about Angela’s holdings. He wants to consolidate them into a business called the Geoberti Family Estates, with its primary focus the wine business including Falcon Crest and the Agretti Vineyards. He wants a massive undertaking to expand. Secondary assets including the Spa, Tuscany Bank and Trust, race track, into a subsidiary company, Tuscany Holdings. Then he says to a Lance, “I don’t know what Angela’s will says, but I believe we can share such a business.” The phone rings. Richard answers it. “Yes. . . . . Really? . . . Yes. Send him up.”

Lance asks, “Who was that?”

“Dia Chi.”

“Chao-Li’s brother. Why would the Chairman of Winston Matheson travel all the way from Hong Kong when he must know Choa-Li isn’t here?”

“Good question. I’ve heard they’re massively diversifying considering in less than ten years Hong Kong returns to China.” Richard gets up and walks to the entry. “He was just in Japan where Winston Matheson bough several car businesses. He’s on the board of the Hong Kong Tokyo Banking Company too. Which apparently holds a lot of Angela’s debt.”

Lance follows him. “You think that’s why he’s here.”

“No. You must know what’s up with Chao-Li.”

“What do you mean?”

“He takes care of Angela but is the oldest son in the Chi family from Honk Kong.”

“I don’t really know. Some agreement between his father and Grandmother’s father which lead to the Chi’s pushing out both the Winston and Matheson families for control. Chao-Li came here to practice his faith and look after Grandmother.”

“I don’t like surprises.” Richard opens the door and greets the older man, slightly younger than Choa-Li.

The man says. “Nice to meet you. This is my associate, Abigail Cunningham.”

She holds out her hand. “Abby, please. Nice to meet you.”

End of Episode 1.

Falcon Crest reshuffled into a new series post Angela Channing but enough of the old to feel like a continuation and a link to another soap favorite:

Richard Channing - running Falcon Crest, Geoberti Family Estates and Channing Enterprises

Lance Cumson - Richard’s nephew and right hand

Pilar Cumson - Lance’s wife and Richard’s lawyer

Gabriel Ortega - Pilar’s young adult brother who returns to live with her and Lance after graduating from college to work for them, with plans of his own (based on Bud Fox from the movie Wall Street where Dia Chi is Gordon Gekko)

Dia Chi - powerful enemy (based on the ideas of Nobel House and Ian Dunross, except Chinese with English partners)

Yang Chi - Dia’s young adult granddaughter, whom he wishes to be involved in American acquisitions (based on Lili from Lace)

Abby Cunningham - Richard’s love interest and schemer in her own right who consults with Dia Chi regarding American acquisitions

Olivia Cunningham - Abby’s young adult daughter who falls for Gabriel

Brian Cunningham - Abby’s teenage son smitten by the older Yang

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Steve your redo of season 9 is interesting. The new honchos away back in 1989 could have been doing with you, on their creative team.

I realise long running shows do need freshening up but you still need the sense of familiarity. The freshening up of FALCON CREST for the final year was just too jarring. There were parts of season nine that I enjoyed but the majority of it was as I said a million times before; just darkness overkill, the droll humour was diluted and those St. James brothers had a lot to answer for.

With the leading women gone that we were used to i.e. Maggie and Angela out of it most of the time, Pilar took centre stage and it was just too much. Oh yeah Lance's new wife was very easy on the eye but sometimes you need more than beauty. Come back from the dead Melissa, all is forgiven. Emma got reinvented a bit and I clapped so hard my hands were nearly falling off (on 1st viewing), at her giving evil spouse Charley St. James his comeuppance.

Angela and Chao-Li are enjoying their tea, in the Falcon Crest dining room. They talk about Angela being hospitalised in a coma, at the hands of blaggard Charley St. James, (a scene from season 9, 1989-'90):

Angela: "Oh it was like a dream but it was so real. Everybody was there; Maggie and Chase, Stavros and all the fighting and bickering was all gone. Everything was filled with laughter. Ah well, I'm back now and we have a lot of work to do!"

Richard arrives for a bit of a yarn.

Gioberti84

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It is good @stevew you have included members of Chao-Li's family, from Asia. They were always under represented in the show proper.

Very funny @Jock Og ref your comment when you watched Emma shooting bad boy Charley. He was a loathsome creature, wasn't he? I like the Blog's theme tune variatio. The new theme for TV season 9 wasn't great at all.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It is good @stevew you have included members of Chao-Li's family, from Asia. They were always under represented in the show proper.

Very funny @Jock Og ref your comment when you watched Emma shooting bad boy Charley. He was a loathsome creature, wasn't he? I like the Blog's theme tune variatio. The new theme for TV season 9 wasn't great at all.
Loathsome in capital letters.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Steve your redo of season 9 is interesting. The new honchos away back in 1989 could have been doing with you, on their creative team.

I realise long running shows do need freshening up but you still need the sense of familiarity. The freshening up of FALCON CREST for the final year was just too jarring. There were parts of season nine that I enjoyed but the majority of it was as I said a million times before; just darkness overkill, the droll humour was diluted and those St. James brothers had a lot to answer for.

With the leading women gone that we were used to i.e. Maggie and Angela out of it most of the time, Pilar took centre stage and it was just too much. Oh yeah Lance's new wife was very easy on the eye but sometimes you need more than beauty. Come back from the dead Melissa, all is forgiven. Emma got reinvented a bit and I clapped so hard my hands were nearly falling off (on 1st viewing), at her giving evil spouse Charley St. James his comeuppance.

Angela and Chao-Li are enjoying their tea, in the Falcon Crest dining room. They talk about Angela being hospitalised in a coma, at the hands of blaggard Charley St. James, (a scene from season 9, 1989-'90):

Angela: "Oh it was like a dream but it was so real. Everybody was there; Maggie and Chase, Stavros and all the fighting and bickering was all gone. Everything was filled with laughter. Ah well, I'm back now and we have a lot of work to do!"

Richard arrives for a bit of a yarn.
I liked the opening too. When the two main women from the original leave, then was not the time to "techno" the song.

I felt Lance and Richard as partners in crime was a good way to go but they had to have Falcon Crest to do it, not Sharpe. The problem to me was they wanted Shape, who came from no place, to be on top of everything. Didn't work. Angela's will should have split FC 3 ways, Julie (controlled by Lance with some mention for Father Christopher, I hated family disappearing never to be hear about again), Emma and Richard. Still a lot of drama in that. And sure, why not have Richard and Lance on the same page, working together instead of family fighting. With out Angela and Maggie this was no time for family fighting. Kind of simple thinking for how to move forward if you ask me.

The whole guy out of the wood work was terrible. So in your opening credits I say replace Sharpe with someone Asian as in a relative of Choa-Li's (certainly plausible that Choa-Li's family are wealthy and powerful and Choa-Li sought out peace and meditation in the Valley with the Gioberti's away from his family, who without Angela have arrived to claim FC). And replace Maggie with his young sexy daughter, someone to come on a stir up a bit of Melissa memories. And I'd keep a picture of Angela somewhere in there but replace the first credit with Donna Mills, a familiar face, a familiar person, with two already established Children, coming to the value to add to the drama. Anyway, it's fun to think what if.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nice work Steve.
Thank you. Right now I'm working on a story where Dallas meets Falcon Crest meets Knots Lansing in Washington D.C. It's been kind of fun ripping off the current headlines with John Ross, Richard Channing and Greg Sumner.

Gioberti84

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you. Right now I'm working on a story where Dallas meets Falcon Crest meets Knots Lansing in Washington D.C. It's been kind of fun ripping off the current headlines with John Ross, Richard Channing and Greg Sumner.
Have you any of the story posted yet. I am looking foward to it.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Have you any of the story posted yet. I am looking foward to it.