Farfetched but plausible.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Of the four big prime time soaps, which plot do you think was the most farfetched but the show made seem plausible? For example, the Knots Landing Valene/Verner Ellers/baby kidnapping story stretched the limits of credibility in places, but it still was plausible. The Cathy Geary story with Gary's faux death was much less likely, but the way the show delivered it never felt ridiculous.
Over on Dallas the Harleysville story and JR's marriage didn't ring the least bit true at any point at all.
On Dynasty the most unlikely thing that felt organic and possible was Alexis moving into the studio and having the run of the mansion. (Blake could run her out of Colorado but not keep her out of his house?)
Anyone have any other examples?

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Good subject for a thread!

Dallas: Bobby and Pam being 2 years separated despite being still in love (seasons 5 to 7). Sue Ellen spending long periods of time sober without going to AA or a shrink (seasons 4 to 5, 9 onwards). JR remarrying Sue Ellen knowing everything would start again (cheating, drinking, etc).

Knots Landing: Jill turning psycho and wanting Val dead. Val becoming a bestseller writer. Abby "forgiving" Gary for his betrayals with other women. Paige obsessed with a man old enough to be her dad... for years and years.

Falcon Crest: Long-lost relatives coming out of nowhere. Chase neglecting his pregnant wife for not knowing the baby was his. All the corporate crime storylines. Melissa´s on/off craziness.

I´ll pass on "Dynasty" because I found nothing plausible in the whole pack...

:danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
One that sticks out in Dynasty to me, and there are many by the way! Is Dana attending the same high school as Adam, and the two even having met then and had a one night stand. That has Dana obsessed with Adam, to the point she goes to work at Denver Carrington I guess having read that Michael Torrence is Adam Carrington. It's not said that's why she works there, but why else would she leave Montana for Denver? For a secretarial job? And then Adam has no recollection of Dana whatsoever. Though we are lead to believe that Dana has been in love with him since she was a teenager.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Man In the Ironic Mask
Laura Avery's decision to leave Knots Landing to die. She left a husband who adored her, who had endless resources to find possible treatments for her illness, and a newborn daughter, the daughter she had wanted so desperately for years. Obviously, there were also her two sons and a host of friends to think about. They gave lip service to the idea that she'd already gone to doctors and been told her brain tumor was inoperable, but Greg's resources would have allowed him to do a much deeper dive into possible treatments. Would an independent-minded person like Laura choose to go into hospice care to "spare her loved ones seeing her decline and die"? Yeah, maybe....but plots where "the miracle cure is discovered in the nick of time" is the bread and butter of soaps.

Oh, dear....maybe someone forgot to tell her she was living in a soap opera?

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fallon and the UFO. At the time one of the most bizarre things I had ever seen, even by 1980s standards, but the explanation actually helped it make sense imo.

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Hayleyville storyline on Dallas was stupid. There is no way a man as rich as JR Ewing would not have sought vengeance upon these hicks.

In an interview, Linda Evans hated that Krystal/Rita storyline. I hate doppleganger stories myself. We are suppose to believe that some person is made to look like you are resembles you and is able to impersonate you for days and weeks with your loved ones don't notice anything strange. No can know everything about you to make that work. I remember in school, a classmate had this twin and they decided to play a prank and switch places. My teacher knew right away it was not her. Now a teacher has limited access to you and if this person can tells the difference, people who have unlimited access to you should be able to as well.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Man In the Ironic Mask
The idea of the doppelganger fooling everyone into thinking they are the person they replaced is always the part everyone rolls their eyes over in frustration. Balancing it out, however, are the scenes where the doppelganger struggles to understand that person's life--or openly mocks it. Sometimes they take the opportunity to make some meta comments about the show itself. I've heard two different Head Writers (one at As The World Turns and one at Another World) say in interviews that those scenes are the ones that get the most positive feedback from fans.

ATWT's Lily Walsh had a twin Rose D'Angelo who decided to take over Lily's life. Rose had a series of scenes where a friend "coached" her on information about Lily's in-laws, which resulted in a hilarious bit where Rose was horrified to found out that because of an adoption situation, Lily's mother-in-law was also her grandmother, and Lily's husband Holden was technically both Rose and Lily's uncle. The Head Writer said fans enjoyed seeing an "outsider" react the way most people would when she learned of that family tree issue.

Another World
's Rachel had a lookalike named Justine who was certifiably insane. The scenes where Justine-as-Rachel interacted with Rachel's numerous children and friends were done with no subtlety at all, with Justine rolling her eyes behind people's backs and making catty remarks under her breath. Most memorably, after a short meeting with Rachel's touchy-feely best friend Felicia, Justine shuddered "Must she TOUCH everyone???" Linda Dano (Felicia) famously DID touch everyone, as she is a huggy/kissy type IRL and this behavior rubbed off on Felicia. Again, an outsider who reacts the way many others would if they meet a "real" Felicia-type.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The only doppelganger story that wasn't cringy was Knots Landing's Ciji/Cathy story because they played it differently. The focus was on the characters who knew she wasn't the real Ciji, but were affected by her presence anyway. There was a lot that was far fetched (Cathy's husband manager contacting Abby to see of she could use a Ciji lookalike), but KL made it seem plausible
The Krystle/Rita storyline was embarrassing, but I did like Krystle's ferocity when she fought Rita.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The only doppelganger story that wasn't cringy was Knots Landing's Ciji/Cathy story because they played it differently.
Actually I thought it was cringy, but in a way it should be.
The Krystle/Rita storyline was embarrassing
Rita seemed a little out her depth, both as the fake Krystle and the murderer as per Joel's instructions. I think there were also moments that she forgot that she wasn't Krystle and I found it delightfully bizarre.
But even so, that was only half of the storyline. I just loved watching Sammy Jo plotting evil schemes.
but I did like Krystle's ferocity when she fought Rita.
To me, that was the silliest part because Rita didn't strike me as someone who would engage in a physical confrontation therefore it looked like a fight between Linda Evans and Linda Evans which ruined the context of it all.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually I thought it was cringy, but in a way it should be.

Rita seemed a little out her depth, both as the fake Krystle and the murderer as per Joel's instructions. I think there were also moments that she forgot that she wasn't Krystle and I found it delightfully bizarre.
But even so, that was only half of the storyline. I just loved watching Sammy Jo plotting evil schemes.

To me, that was the silliest part because Rita didn't strike me as someone who would engage in a physical confrontation therefore it looked like a fight between Linda Evans and Linda Evans which ruined the context of it all.
I think as the plot evolved the characters' personalities started flowing into each other so they didn't know who was who at certain point. Sort of like Robert Altman's Three Women.
Or maybe not.:)