• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Favorite veterans in 2021

Who are your favorite veteran characters on daytime soaps in 2021?

• Maggie Horton Kiriakis

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Monica Quartermaine

• Julie Olson Williams

• Nikki Newman

• Bobbie Spencer

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Victor Newman

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Marlena Evans Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Esther Valentine

• Doug Williams

• Abe Carver

• Victor Kiriakis

• Christine Blair Williams

• Brooke Logan

• Eric Forrester

• Jill Fenmore Atkinson

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Some actors have been on soaps for decades. Many of them are no longer front burners, but they are still fan favorites. Who are your favorite veteran characters on daytime soaps in 2021?

46 years Suzanne Rogers as Maggie Horton Kiriakis
44 years Leslie Charleson as Monica Quartermaine
42 years Susan Seaforth Hayes as Julie Olson Williams
42 years Melody Thomas Scott as Nikki Newman
41 years Jacklyn Zeman as Bobbie Spencer
41 years Eric Braeden as Victor Newman
39 years Deidre Hall as Marlena Evans Black
39 years Kate Linder as Esther Valentine
38 years Bill Hayes as Doug Williams
38 years James Reynolds as Abe Carver
35 years John Aniston as Victor Kiriakis
34 years Lauralee Bell as Christine Blair Williams
34 years Katherine Kelly Lang as Brooke Logan
34 years John McCook as Eric Forrester
34 years Jess Walton as Jill Fenmore Atkinson

Doug Davidson is excluded from this list, as Paul Williams has not appeared yet on The Young and the Restless in 2021.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me it’s Victor Newman. He’s one of my favorite daytime characters ever. It’s a complicated character to say the least. He’s always had his flaws yet his intentions are usually good. His wars with Jack Abbott over the years are legendary. Their feud drove the show for many years. Even now, if Victor is on the show, it feels important. His scenes mean something. I just wish he was on more, but the fact that he is in the background more often than not now does make his scenes feel more special.

My second choice would’ve been Nikki Newman by the way. I consider her and Victor to be the first couple of daytime. Without them, to me there is no Y&R.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I especially like Victor Newman for his interaction with children. He's so good at it, whether it's nice family celebrations or tragic hospital scenes. When Victor cries over a grandchild, my heart melts every time!

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I especially like Victor Newman for his interaction with children. He's so good at it, whether it's nice family celebrations or tragic hospital scenes. When Victor cries over a grandchild, my heart melts every time!
That’s the beauty of Victor really. He can be so warm and caring one minute yet so ruthless and conniving the next. That smile can give way to that serious look and hot temper at any time.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've come to adore Dr. Monica Quartermaine on General Hospital, even as GH has limited Leslie Charleson's screen time over the years. She, along with Kin Shriner and Genie Francis (neither of whom are on this list, likely because they've left and returned several times over the decades) are the characters I will always stop to watch, no matter which characters they're interacting with.

Monica's never been a saint, but she's the rightful matriarch of the Quartermaine clan, a family of wacky characters whose fights with one another are almost as much fun as when they close ranks against outsiders. Monica's decades of sparring with sister-in-law Tracy are legendary, especially when Monica gets to throw Tracy out of the mansion. "It's my house...Alan gave it to ME!" She's snappy and sarcastic without being mean-spirited, but certainly nicer ("cordial") to Carly and Sonny than they deserve. Just once I'd like for her to exact some sort of meaningful but amusing revenge on S&C, but the writers would probably say she's too classy for that.

Though I like Jackie Zeman, Bobbie barely appears on the show any more, and when she does it's to prop up daughter Carly, a character I despise most days. Bobbie hasn't had scenes about Bobbie in years. A few years ago, it appeared she was going to get her own independent storyline when Bobbie discovered she had Type 2 diabetes. But just as she poured her heart into scenes with her friend/fellow nurse Epiphany, they started discussing the latest diabetes drug (holding up the product!), how Epiphany had been using it for years and how Bobbie's prognosis was good. Her "story" was a ^&$% product placement ad, and no one has ever mentioned Bobbie's (or Epiphany's) diabetes since.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I also admire Monica and Bobbie, but miss a love life for both of them. What happened to Monica and the judge? And Bobbie's last relationship with Scott wasn't particularly deep.

It's sad that older women rarely have a love life on soaps, while older men never can stay alone, Eric Forrester being the perfect example. Jack Abbott even received a standalone episode for his loneliness recently. He enjoys pouring his heart out to Tracy, who in recent years was not allowed to experience more than an unrequited crush on Cane. The only cougar on soaps is Kate Roberts, while there are plenty of men with younger women, but obviously that's exactly what the audience wants to see, right? Or not?

Isn't it great that a Jill recast has been around for 34 years? Many would consider Brenda Dickinson the only Jill and even Deborah Adair did a fine job, but Jess Walton is the one that stayed for good.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Isn't it great that a Jill recast has been around for 34 years? Many would consider Brenda Dickinson the only Jill and even Deborah Adair did a fine job, but Jess Walton is the one that stayed for good
I never thought I would warm up to a recast of Brenda Dickson. She was my absolute favorite daytime vixen back then but I have to say that I have enjoyed Jess Walton in the role. She did make it her own and dare I say her chemistry with Jeanne Cooper was almost just as good as Brenda’s. Deborah Adair did a fine job as well; perhaps very underrated as an actress. But despite liking all three actresses that have played Jill over the years I do think the role will always belong to Brenda. She was so camp and over the top but she was so much fun to watch. And a most beautiful woman I might add. I love the character but to me it was never the same without Brenda doing it.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So many of the longtime cast members of the various soaps have "incomplete runs"--leaving, coming back, getting fired and re-hired---that it's rarer to have folks like most of those on this list who took the job and never left. I can say with fair certainty that Deidre Hall doesn't belong on this list for that reason, since she left Days a couple of times. Lauralee Bell, like Doug Davidson is on so irregularly that I would not have her on the list, either. Jackie Zeman and Jess Walton were missing from their shows for long periods, as well. I think Davidson and Zeman would gladly appear more if they actually wrote for them (and could afford them), but Walton lives in Oregon or Washington State or somewhere far from LA and doesn't want to commute unless they have something substantial for "Jill" to do.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Deidre Hall joined Days in 1976 and left in 1987. After some primetime experience (including her short-lived drama "Our House") she returned in 1991. In 2009 she and Drake Hogestyn were fired, but super couple John & Marlena returned in 2011, so it's actually 39 years for Deidre Hall.

Lauralee Bell hasn't had a storyline of her own in a while, but Christine has turned up every now and then to catch up on the latest developments in Chance's undercover storyline.

Due to her (recently pubished) real life drama Suzanne Rogers wasn't on air for eight months, other actors take a summer break, but still are a part of the show, unfortunately Doug Davidson is no longer. Genoa City PD is not the place to be anymore, so viewers don't need to see the police commissioner, whose children are all out of town or dead.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The current financial climate in soapland doesn't exactly foster sentimentality about veteran actors (or characters). Y&R especially has been dragged through the mud in the soap press for their unwillingness (sometimes steadfast refusal) to continue paying their veteran actors the large salaries they've negotiated over their decades of tenure. A string of stories of Y&R veterans leaving due to contract negotiations "breaking down" over the years has made the actors on other soaps wonder if they're next, since Y&R is the only soap left that has a decent budget. While the newer actors might not get a raise, most of the vets were actually told to take pay cuts or else not have their contract renewed. Too often, veteran actors end up being viewed by their producers as a financial drain, but they fire those fan favorites at their own peril.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Only three actors stayed in their roles longer than Suzanne Rogers as Maggie Horton Kiriakis and all three are from As The World Turns:

50 years Helen Wagner as Nancy Hughes
50 years Don Hasting as Bob Hughes
47 years Eileen Fulton Lisa Grimaldi

Helen Wagner and Eileen Fulton weren't on ATWT all the time, but Don Hasting was.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recall reading a wonderful story about Helen Wagner. In her off-time, she volunteered at an information desk-type job at a famous NYC museum (I want to say Museum of Modern Art, but I'm not sure). Anyway, people would be shocked to see "Nancy Hughes" sitting at an info desk giving people directions to the bathroom or whatever, but she took it all in stride because she never had that "actor ego" thing going on. She even dressed pretty much like Nancy would on TV, though I doubt they had her pouring coffee for guests like she always did on ATWT.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
As Abe Carver is a popular veteran, here are some excerpts from James Reynolds' 40th anniversary interview he recently did with Soap Opera Digest.

Digest: In 1981 there was a marked paucity of Black characters on daytime television. Tell me how you experienced that as a newcomer to the genre.

Reynolds: Well, as an actor, you experience it all the time. I mean, that was and is constant, although it’s infinitely better than it was. Back in those days, unless it was a character [specifically described as Black], you pretty much weren’t going to get in to read for the role. It was pretty bad. In daytime, most shows had one Black character, and eventually most had two Black characters because they brought on a love interest, but that was it. And those people were usually gone within their first contract. It was, for actors of color, a really difficult time. We were caught, in many ways, between the paucity of characters for actors of color in the ’50s and ’60s and ’70s on television, although soaps had started to bring on a few characters of color in the ’70s, but hardly the number that’s around today. We were in that middle, and those of us who were [working then] were part of the foundation we see now, in the 21st century, where you have eight characters on a show that are actors of color. I was grateful to Betty, and later to Ken [Corday, EP], for supporting this character over the years, and keeping Abe around and keeping him supported. I think that’s another thing; as shows transition into having a broader ethnic spread on their show and characters that were more diverse, I think a lot of shows didn’t have the courage that Ken showed over the years, in difficult times, to show support for that. I have been and always will be appreciative of that.

Digest: DAYS experienced a huge surge in popularity in the ’80s. What was it like to ride that wave?

Reynolds: You knew it was a special time, and it really was a special time in that genre of TV. It was kind of the loudest roar before that roar began to die down into more of a loud hum. But you felt it all the time. I mean, we literally had rock star moments. We were appearing in front of crowds in the thousands at that point. I remember doing a tour in Canada and going from one city to another and by the time we got to the next city, there was already a crowd waiting for us, people jumping on cars. These kinds of things were common in the ’80s! It was just a love affair that was going on with the fans at that time.

Digest: In 2003, Abe became the first “victim” of the Salem Stalker. At the time, you didn’t know that your DAYS journey would have another chapter. What was that like to live through?

Reynolds: It was difficult. It was tough for a lot of reasons. In the beginning, like anybody when they get the news that their job is disappearing, you feel a sense of loss, especially when it’s something that you care about and are so passionate about. At that point, I had lived with Abe for 20 years or more. Characters become part of who you are. I mean, I don’t walk around being Abe Carver, but when I put on Abe’s wardrobe, I enjoy entering his world. So when that moment came, it was not only a shock but it was a difficult thing to get used to. You think, “Oh, man, where do I go next?” You have to embrace what happened, and that takes a little bit of time. You miss the friendships, the relationships. It was very much like going through a divorce, or at least a trial separation. So, it had its downs and not a lot of ups. It was not something I’d like to go through again.

Digest: Over the past few years, we’ve seen Abe’s family expand, and we saw you on the Emmy podium accepting the Lead Actor Award. What does it mean to you to still be such a vital part of the canvas, and to see Abe treated as one of the patriarchs of Salem?

Reynolds: It means a great deal. You know, I can think one thing, but if everybody else isn’t thinking what I’m thinking.... To be honest, it has been a great source of frustration to me over time. There have been moments and days and months and years that have been extremely frustrating. But as I mentioned earlier, through all the ups and downs I have recognized that I’ve had the support of Ken, and I’ve lobbied for a broader canvas of characters, that we have more people of color on, and by that I don’t mean Black characters alone. And I should mention how important Albert Alarr [co-executive producer] has been in diversifying both in front of and behind the camera. He has made a huge difference with casting, but also in the more inclusive crew. It is so important that shows look like America behind the camera. But I’ve always been listened to; and what I’ve found the last few years is that Ron Carlivati [head writer] has just been tremendous in his commitment to diversifying stories on DAYS. I have had a great sense of the importance of Abe to this show, and the importance of Abe to the stories and to the entire picture that makes up DAYS OF OUR LIVES. I’m very appreciative of that.

Digest: Abe is the longest-running Black character on television. How does that sit with you on a personal level?

Reynolds: It really does mean a lot. It’s meaningful to me, personally, and meaningful to my family, but I also hope that something about the presence of Abe on television for lo these many years is meaningful to others. I’ve spoken to people who are going through things and watching DAYS helps them through their day. I’ve spoken to people who learned English from watching DAYS. What a wonderful thing, to be part of creating something that is so important to people. We aren’t curing cancer, but we are helping people. We are bringing comfort to people. To be able to do that for 40 years, to be able to look back in my memory and think of the thousands of people I’ve interacted with around the world, walking down the streets of Amsterdam with my son and every 20 feet someone stopping me and going, “Hello, Abe!” I do get overwhelmed with that sometimes. I grew up in a town of 800 people and then to be someplace where strangers feel comfortable talking to me, gosh, what an astounding feeling that is.