Filming Locations

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No, it is actually "17462". I first thought it was "7462", but if you look closely again in the closest shot at the end of the zoom, you will notice the "1". I think the lettering was quite old and the "1" might have lost its once glossy surface.
Now I see it, sorry. :eyes:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.26 "New Lady in Town":

The stock shot of New York City (establishing the bar scene with Steven) is from 5th Avenue. On the right, we see the luxurious Bergdorf Goodman department store at
754 5th Avenue, New York, NY. This shot is a disgrace because the grainy and dirty film quality is not up to par with the newly filmed segments of the show.
4.26-01-7545thAv,BYC.JPG

I don't know where they filmed the interiors of the bar in New York City. It was apparently somewhere on local location in L.A., of course.

No idea either about the exteriors of Patrice Massenet Couturière (where Fallon's wedding gown is tailor-made). I think the name was borrowed from one of the show's camera operators, by the way.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No idea either about the exteriors of Patrice Massenet Couturière (where Fallon's wedding gown is tailor-made). I think the name was borrowed from one of the show's camera operators, by the way.
Which is quite ridiculous because Patrice is a french male name ! So it should be "Patrice Massenet Couturier" or "Patricia Massenet Couturière".

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.27 "The Nightmare":

Morgan Hess (in the scene with Sammy Jo) apparently lives in Claudia's former apartment now. The establishing shot is from the building at 1438 Peerless Place, Los Angeles (which we first saw in # 2.16). One of the old establishing shots is reused, so the zoom on the same window like back then suggests she lives in the same apartment in that building, indeed.
The whole area has been rebuilt since filming. That place is now within a gated community.
4.27-01-1438PeerlessPalce,LA.JPG

Ravissante (Alexis and Krystle's beauty salon):
Exteriors and reception were filmed at the Century Club (screen grab 1). This charming building was located at 10131 Constellation Boulevard in Century City, CA. It was demolished in 2006, and it has taken an awful long time to redevelop this block. Construction work on the site is still ongoing.
The other interior shots of the salon were made at Georgette Klinger Salon (screen capture 2), which used to be located at 312 North Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, CA. I don't know exactly when that salon went out of business, but the structure was rebuilt and has been housing Dolce & Gabbana for many years.
4.27-02-10131ConstellationBl,CenturyCity.JPG

4.27-03-312NorthRodeoDr.BeverlyHills.JPG

The nightly outdoor scenes in the rain on the driveway of the Carrington Mansion and the garage complex were filmed on the grounds of what used to be the McMahon Residence at 2 Oakmont Drive, Brentwood, CA. All structures on this property were demolished approximately in 2017, and a new mansion is supposed to be built on that lot now.
4.27-04-2OakmontDr,Brentwood.JPG

Not sure where they filmed the car chase (Jeff following Fallon), but I assume it was near the McMahon Residence in Brentwood.

The exterior shot of the Denver Detention Center might be stock footage from the real facility, but I'm not sure. I think the jails in Denver have been remodeled since, and I'm not familiar with them.

The interiors of the Denver Detention Center, however, are clearly the famous Alcatraz Cell Block (a replica) on the stage at GMT Studios, 5751 Buckingham Parkway, Culver City, CA 90230.
4.27-07-GMTStudios-AlcatrazCellBlock.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 5.01 "Disappearance":

The courtroom (Alexis' bail hearing) is the usual standing set at GMT Studios in Culver City that was rented for this purpose; it was slightly redressed.
5.01-01-GMTStudiosCourtrm.jpg

Not sure about the Denver Carrington oil field, but it might be the same location again that they already used for the Lankershim - Blaisdel drill site in season 1.

The Denver Airport scene (Sammy Jo, Danny and Adam) was filmed at Los Angeles International Airport:
5.01-03-LAX.jpg

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 5.02 "The Mortgage":

The Denver Lawlor Bank (exteriors) was filmed at 119 Larchmont Boulevard in Larchmont Village, Los Angeles, CA. Although some of the surrounding buildings have changed, this one is pretty much like in the old days of filming (the awnings removed though).
5.02-01-DenverLawlorBank.jpg

The morgue where Jeff and Krystle check if the dead body might be Fallon is actually the Raulston Memorial Research Building at 2025 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles (on the USC campus). It was rebuilt since.
5.02-03-2025ZonalAv,LA.jpg

I don't have any idea about the two establishing shots of the different police stations (one night shot, the other one photographed in daylight)

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 5.03 "Fallon":

Not sure if the establishing shots (stock) of Portland, OR feature that very city because I'm not familiar with it, but the alleged Portland stock shots below are from Pepperdine University. I don't know where the actual scenes with Jeff at the Spruce Hostel were filmed though.
5.03-02-PepperdineUniversity.JPG

5.03-06-PepperdineUniversity.JPG

Billy Waite's residence in Caracas / Venezuela does not look familiar to me, so I don't have any clue where to look for it unfortunately.

The establishing clip of Seattle is, in fact, Seattle, WA as you can see from the Space Needle in particular. It is stock footage from a film library, of course.
5.03-07-Seattle.JPG

I don't know anything about the church and the church yard where Jeff speaks to Brother Leo.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 5.04 "The Rescue":

The stock shot used to establish the Sheriff Department in Seattle, WA is from the former police department in Malibu, located to the left of what used to be the Malibu Courthouse (now Malibu Public Library on Civic Center Way):
5.04-01-MalibuCourthouse.JPG

Not 100 % sure, but I think the alleged Fallon's funeral was filmed at Inglewood Park Cemetery (720 Florence Avenue,):
5.04-03-InglewoodParkCemetery.JPG

The establishing shot pf Hollywood is stock footage of Mount Lee:
5.04-04-MountLee.JPG

The restaurant scene with Steven and Sammy Jo was filmed at Stefano Family Restaurant (exteriors and interiors) at 776 Vine Street, Los Angeles, CA. It was rebuilt since and is under different ownership now.
5.04-05-776Vine,LA.JPG

As legible on the street sign, the nightly establishing shot of Hollywood was filmed at the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and North Las Palmas in Avenue in Hollywood:
5.04-06-Hollywood&NLasPalmasAv,LA.JPG

SammyJo's motel in Hollywood (TraveLodge) ist the actual Vermont - Sunset TraveLodge at 1401 North Vermont Avenue, Hollywood, CA. It has been remodeled, but is still there:
5.04-07-1401NVermontAv,Hollywood.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 5.04 "The Rescue" (cont'd):

Aunt Bessie's house is a private residence at 550 North Beachwood Drive, Los Angeles, CA:
5.04-08-550NBeachwood,LA.JPG

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was there at least a preview that you saved and that maybe could help?
Only the first page with the dates (but no interesting location). It's a shame because Billy Waite's residence is really a location that I would like to find. Of course, the winter palace of Moldavia is still number 1 on my list of the locations that I'd like to find out.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 32
K

Karin Schill

# 4.13 "The Ring":

The establishing shot (stock footage, of course) of Rio de Janeiro is from said city, indeed:
View attachment 34023

The Copacabana Playa Hotel is a actually the Hotel Caleta (San Martin 325, Las Playas, 39390 Acapulco / Mexico). The first establishing clip is stock, too.
View attachment 34024

I'm not sure where the second establishing shot of the "same" hotel, a night shot, at around 9 minutes into the episode (PAL speed) comes from. The architecture of the balconies does not match, so I think it is stock from elsewhere.

The little bungalow on the hotel grounds where Blake & Krystle spend their second honeymoon is actually a private residence at 4922 West 8th Street in Hancock Park in L.A.
View attachment 34025
I think it's hilarious how both Mexico and LA stands in for Rio de Janeiro. My guess is that if they had flown to Rio to film there they could have used the Copacobana beach to film. The fact that they didn't shows they were never in Rio.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I think it's hilarious how both Mexico and LA stands in for Rio de Janeiro. My guess is that if they had flown to Rio to film there they could have used the Copacobana beach to film. The fact that they didn't shows they were never in Rio.

It's the typical thing for most TV shows due to the budget. Just take the "Mission Impossible" series, for instance. They basically went to a different country (as per the storyline) in each episode, but they hardly ever left the lot of Paramount Studios, except for very few local location shots in L.A. It's the magic of Hollywood!

"Dynasty" and the other shows at the time would never have had the budget to actually travel somewhere outside the usual 30-mile studio zone. Everything beyond that distance is "distant location" and not "local", which means they would have to pay the cast and crew a per diem, airfare or other means of transportation, etc. "Dynasty", pretty much like all the other shows around that time, had a budget of approximately $ 1 million per episode, which was a lot of money back in the day. The cast probably got around less than $ 200,000 per episode (the total for all players), so around $ 800,000 was not a lot for the production and the crew salaries, particularly considering "Dynasty" spent more money on wardrobe than any of the other shows. This is one of the reasons why there are a lot less exterior shots on "Dynasty" if you compare it with the Lorimar series, for instance. "Dynasty" has been quite an interior show simply due to the to fact the budget didn't allow for more (local) location shots.

Lorimar, in contrast, had other preferences, at least in two of their shows: "Falcon Crest" and "Dallas" had this continuity nightmare of filming most of the exterior footage (usually) for the first ten to twelve episodes per season on distant location, i.e. Northern California or Dallas respectively. This was more like how you produce a movie, and they had additional location budgets, which came on top of their usual per-episode cost. If you break it down to the per-episode cost, "Falcon Crest" had an episodic budget of $1.25 to 1.5 million around 1986, which is the reason why the visual impact was so much better. "Dallas" actually even filmed in Hong Kong at some point. But it's always a matter of where the showrunners put their preferences.

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Only the first page with the dates (but no interesting location). It's a shame because Billy Waite's residence is really a location that I would like to find. Of course, the winter palace of Moldavia is still number 1 on my list of the locations that I'd like to find out.

Is there a possibility to find out who bought it? I think the world of "Dynasty" fans who go to such lengths as buying a shooting schedule is probably an equally small circle as in the "Falcon Crest" universe... Maybe you can contact the seller and ask him to put you in touch with the buyer, so you might get a scan at least, and the buyer can make some money on that. Just an idea.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 3.21 "The Vote":

Am I wrong, or has the family room in the Carrington Mansion gotten bigger and refurnished at some point in season 3? I don't remember the oriel-like windows from earlier episodes. By the way, one of the studio lights and cables are hanging from the greenbeds in the upper left corner of the frame!
View attachment 33844

Unfortunately, I don't have the faintest idea where the charming building across from Alexis' penthouse is located (Morgan Hess looks down from her balcony and sees the observer). I'm not even sure this was filmed specifically for the series. It may be footage from elsewhere.

I also don't recognize Christopher R. Deegan's house.
This is another set, this is what they called the conservatory. The living room set has the fireplace on the opposite wall and has a different fireplace. The living room set doesn't have the bay windows, and has the French doors at either side of the fireplace, with Fallon's portrait above it. In season 4 or maybe season 5 they expanded the conservatory set by adding arched built in bookcases at either end of the room, to the side of the French doors. I think the bookcases were recycled from the arched doorways that were used in the bedroom Claudia stayed in at the mansion in earlier seasons.

The living room set had a dark green silk chinoiserie sofa with a large gilt framed oil painting above it. And across from that they had cream sofas in front of the fireplace. Its the room Alexis and Krystle have their first scene in. You can't see that dark green sofa, as it's where the "fourth wall" would be. The Living room is clearly the same set as Blake and Krystle's bedroom redressed.

Here you see the Conservatory is a very different looking room. Fireplace on the opposite wall, doors in different places and different panelling/wainscoting. You can't tell really from this clip but the two kidney shaped sofas in front of the fireplace in the conservatory are a pale green, not cream. There is also another long cream sofa in front of the lacquered screen. This furniture was used in season 1 in the great hallway set that was more faithful to the actual Filoli mansion.

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Is there a possibility to find out who bought it? I think the world of "Dynasty" fans who go to such lengths as buying a shooting schedule is probably an equally small circle as in the "Falcon Crest" universe... Maybe you can contact the seller and ask him to put you in touch with the buyer, so you might get a scan at least, and the buyer can make some money on that. Just an idea.

i 've been searching that filming location for years ! never found it an never seen it in others shows, would be so great to find out

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was years ago. I contacted the seller (whom I know because I bought a lot of scripts and shooting schedules) but he did not want to give me the name of the buyer.
I also missed the shooting schedules of "Danny" and "Peter de Vilbis" which were sold at the same time.

Attachments

• Schedule buyer.JPG
    Schedule buyer.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 23

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 5.05 "The Trial":

I have no idea where the Camden Towers were filmed — the apartment building across from Alexis' penthouse where Steven parks in the flashback and sees Mark fall to his death from the triplex's balcony. Needless to say it's not across the real location used as Alexis' triplex (The Longford in Wilshire Corridor, L.A.). You can see number 131 on the awning of the "Camden Towers" entrance. I first thought this might be on the studio lot, but Warner Hollywood (The Lot) is a rather small lot, and I think they dont have enough buildings for one of them to be numbered 131 unless they have an awkward way of numbering them. Any ideas on this location?
5.05-01-CamdenTowers.JPG

Also, has anyone ever checked and verified this...? I think Mark's fall from the balcony (Steven's flashback) is the same footage "Dallas" later licensed for Nicholas Pearce's fall from the balcony. Right?
5.05-Flashback-Mark'sDeath.JPG