Filming Locations

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
IMDb lists "14255 Kittridge St, Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California, USA" as a filming location for this episode. This seems rather odd to me. I can't find any matching scene. It's also a bit irritating that IMDb doesn't say which place the alleged location was supposed to portray. It's probably as incorrect as their listing of the alleged Colbyco building where they keep listing the wrong one of the two sister buildings. Unfortunately, IMDb has no good standards of fact checking.
GillesDenver, do you happen to have any production documents, indicating a deleted scene that might have been shot there? Thanks.
I've noticed this as well. It's not something that I added. I tried to figure if it was not something from another episode but I don't see anything that looks like this house in season 4.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.13 "The Ring":

The establishing shot (stock footage, of course) of Rio de Janeiro is from said city, indeed:
4.13-01-Rio.JPG

The Copacabana Playa Hotel is a actually the Hotel Caleta (San Martin 325, Las Playas, 39390 Acapulco / Mexico). The first establishing clip is stock, too.
4.13-02-HotelCaleta,Rio.JPG

I'm not sure where the second establishing shot of the "same" hotel, a night shot, at around 9 minutes into the episode (PAL speed) comes from. The architecture of the balconies does not match, so I think it is stock from elsewhere.

The little bungalow on the hotel grounds where Blake & Krystle spend their second honeymoon is actually a private residence at 4922 West 8th Street in Hancock Park in L.A.
4.13-03-4922W8th,LA.JPG

This establishing shot of Denver, most likely shot during the pilot, shows Ferril Lake with the City Park Pavilion in background:
4.13-05-FerrilLake,Denver.JPG

The scene with Claudia and Danny at the park was filmed at Harold A. Henry Park in the Hancock Park neighborhood in L.A. The playground was (and still is, albeit remodeled) at the corner of West 9th Street and Windsor Boulevard. The street address of the house you can see in the background of this screen grab is 4325 – 4329½ Francis Avenue.
4.13-06-HaroldAHneryPark.JPG

The use of awkward establishing shots continues: They now feature the Qwest Tower at 1801 California Street, Denver, CO again instead of the usual location in Century City, CA. I'm not entirely sure, but we might have seen the Qwest Tower in that rôle before.
4.13-07-QwestTower,Denver.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.14 "Lancelot":

It seems that more establishing shots of downtown Denver are used this season.
This episode opens on the Daniels & Fisher Clock Tower:
4.14-01-Daniels&FisherClockTower,Denver.JPG

The Capitol in Denver:
4.14-02-Capitol,Denver.JPG

The race track scenes for this episode were filmed at Santa Anita Park, another race track, located at 285 West Huntington Drive, Arcadia, CA.
4.14-04-SantaAnitaPark.JPG

Interiors and exteriors of the florist were filmed at a real flower store at 23 Huntington Drive, Arcadia, CA. It's no longer a florist, but the bulding is basically unchanged.
4.14-05-23HuntingtonDr,Arcadia.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.15 "Seizure":

The bar in Powder Valley (Alexis & Dex):
This is an establishing clip used on various TV shows in the 1970's and 1980's, including "Charlie's Angels", "The A-Team", "The Fall Guy", "Falcon Crest", "Dynasty" and others. I've been trying to locate this for over two decades and never realized that this "Dynasty" episode has a longer shot than the others with the camera panning before zooming in on the bar.
Does anyone have any idea where this might be located? It's apparently stock footage from the early 1970's, maybe even older (just look at the car models). Although the camera is panning fast, I think the cars have California license plates (although these could have been easily dressed for whichever production this was originally filmed).
Legible signs on the shops are: "Bicycles", "Lee's Restaurant", "Guppy's / Guffy's / Duffy's (?) Glad Rags" and "Earl's Restaurant Cocktails".
If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Thanks!
4.15-01a.JPG
4.15-01b.JPG
4.15-01c.JPG
4.15-01d.JPG

The interiors of the bar were filmed at what used to be the Handlebar Saloon, which is nowadays T. Boyle's Tavern, at 37 North Catalina Avenue, Pasadena, CA:
4.15-02-37NCatalinaAv,Pasadena.JPG

Alexis & Dex's motel: Deano's Motel (i.e. the real name as it is visible in the stock shot) is still pretty much unchanged and located at 3868 Sepulveda Boulevard in Culver City, CA:
4.15-03-3868SepulvedaBl,CulverCity.JPG

Last edited:

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No, it's Voit Ranch (Hidden Valley). I don't have the adress as I guess the owners must have changed since 1983.

The Fontana West is this one ?

I always wondered whether the Hidden valley scene is when Pamela Sue had a melt down with stress and said I can't take this anymore. John James replied 'Hit me!' You can hear the story in the Hallmark interview special with the cast and they mention filming in the Valley.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ventura Farms was also in the Hidden valley so it can be there as well. But I don't remember if these two had a scene together in the Carrington barns in season 4.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Update on # 4.15 "Seizure":

A friend just pointed me in the right direction for the exteriors of the bar (Dex & Alexis) I've been looking for for so many years.
he suggested this might be Victorville — and was right. It's 15555 7th Street (West Historic Route 66), Victorville, CA. It still looks pretty much the same although the other buildings around have changed. Even the shape of the sign is still like in the old days!

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.16 "A Little Girl":

Not sure about the establishing clip of the cocktail bar. The street sign on the left is not clearly legible. It might read "Hudson Ave." or "Madison Ave." I know several Hudson and Madison Avenues all over L.A., but I don't think any of them had / has this kind of exquisite street candelabra. Any ideas where this might be?
4.16-01-HudsonOrMadison.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.17 "The Accident":

Tracy Kendall's apartment building: The establishing shot comes from the The Wilshire Thayer in Wilshire Corridor (10550 Wilshire Boulevard in Westwood, CA.):
4.17-01-WilshireThayer,Westwood.JPG

The little shopping street Jeff drives along (and makes a phone call from his car) is Larchmont Village. You can see street number 133 in the second screen grab, which is 133 North Larchmont Boulevard in L.A. where the famous Jurgensen's Grocery used to be. The neighborhood looks pretty much the same today, but some buildings were remodeled.
4.17-03-NLarchmontBl,LA.JPG

4.17-04-NLarchmontBl,LA.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.20 "The Voice - Part 1":

Hotel Tahuantinsuyu in Peru (Claudia) was filmed at Mission San Gabriel Arcángel at 428 South Mission Drive, San Gabriel, CA 91776.
4.20-01-428SMissionDr.SanGabriel.JPG

4.20-02-428SMissionDr.SanGabriel.JPG

The establishing shots of Jeff & Fallon's hotel in Aspen, CO is actually from Vail, CO. These stock shots feature what is nowadays Lancelot Restaurant (exteriors slightly remodeled) at 201 East Gore Creek Drive, Vail Village, CO 81657. I think this footage originated while shooting "Hart to Hart" # 1.06 "Downhill to Death", an episode of the crime drama filmed almost completely on location in Vail.
4.20-03-201EGoreCreekDr,Vail.JPG

The establishing shot of Hong Kong (also stock) is a view from Victoria Peak over Hong Kong Island filmed towards northeast.
4.20-04-HongKong-VictoriaPeak.JPG

The establishing clip of Blake's Hotel, The Peninsula in Hong Kong, is actually a stock shot of the real Peninsula in Hong Kong located on Salisbury Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong.
1642336165280.png

No idea where the stock footage of aerials with some forests comes from (superimposed: "The Jungles of Peru").
The actual scene with Claudia, Steven and the local officials was filmed at the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden at 301 North Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, CA in their "Prehistoric Forest" Garden.
4.20-07-LACountyArboretum.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.21 "The Voice - Part 2":

This time, the stock shot of Hong Kong is a day equivalent of the previous episode's night shot over Hong Kong Island from Victoria Peak:
4.21-01-HongKong-VictoriaPeak.JPG

Blake's suite at The Peninsula in Hong Kong is a set, of course; and so is the hallway. In fact, I think the hallway is their redressed hospital interior set from this season.

The restaurant at the Peninsula seems to be a real place though, but I don't know where it is.

I cannot identify this street either, which was used to establish Bismark, ND. It is apparently stock footage from elsewhere. I'm positing this because someone might have an idea about the location.
I'm pretty sure I've seen it on a different show before, maybe a crime series, such as "Kojak" or anything similar. I'm sure this was filmed in New York, which seems to be confirmed by the old yellow / orange license plates on the cars.
4.21-05.JPG

The cemetery where Kirby visits Alicia Anders's grave is Glendale Memorial Park at 1341 Glenwood Road Glendale, CA 91201. The distinct wall around the cemetery gives it away. The wall is still there; some parts have been updated, but there are still many parts that still look the same.
By the way: Is the family's last name spelled Anders or Aynders? The headstone seems to suggest "Anders", but I think I've seen "Aynders" before. Or am I misremembering?
4.21-06-GlendaleMemorialPark.JPG

Can't identify the scene with Dex at the payphone. Not enough background to recognize anything distinct.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.22 "The Voice - Part 3":

This is a difficult episode. The one location that bothers me is the Downtown Gun Shop where Kirby is shopping. The street number is legible when the camera zooms on the entrance: "17462". I don't recognize the store and a quick Google research didn't give me any viable results either. Any ideas anyone?

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember trying to locate it but being unable to find it. You can see "Regal 1hr cleaners" in front of the shop but it did not help me either.
That being said, the number is "7462", not "17462".

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2015-11-01-21h34m58s750.jpg
    vlcsnap-2015-11-01-21h34m58s750.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I remember trying to locate it but being unable to find it. You can see "Regal 1hr cleaners" in front of the shop but it did not help me either.
That being said, the number is "7462", not "17462".

No, it is actually "17462". I first thought it was "7462", but if you look closely again in the closest shot at the end of the zoom, you will notice the "1". I think the lettering was quite old and the "1" might have lost its once glossy surface.

There's still a Regal Cleaners at 10631 West Pico Boulevard, but that's not the location.

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.23 "The Birthday":

Reston Medical Center: The sign is a prop. The highrise looks vaguely familiar to me, but I'm not sure.

From Rashid's cable to Alexis, we learn that the fictional address of Colbyco is 100 Colby Square, Denver, CO 80221.

The Target Range where Kirby practices her shooting skills was filmed at the real place by the same name at Street, Van Nuys, CA; it still looks pretty much the same.
4.23-04-16140CohassetSt,VanNuys.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.24 "The Check":

I think I forgot to mention that, when Krystle's office at DenverCarrington was featured for the first time, it was pretty obvious that it is the redressed set of Blake's office, of course. Her desk was moved to the side window near the door, and a movable wall was placed across from the door, so we wouldn't see the rest of Blake's office, including his desk. Sorry I didn't post this in the first episode where Krystle's office was shown.

No idea about the bank interiors (Mark and the check).

The establishing shot for Sammy Jo and Ed Linden's place in New York City is stock footage featuring the apartment building at 820 5th Avenue, New York, NY:
4.24-02-8205thAv.NYC.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.25 "The Engagement":

The bank (scene with Blake and Jeff) ist established by a stock shot of the U.S. Bank Tower at 950 17th Street, Denver, CO:
4.25-02-95017thSt,Denver.JPG