Fire Walk With Me

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1627867233398.png

Oh...my goodness!
Sheryl Lee has acted the hell out of this movie and turned it into a soul scraping event.
1627867573456.png

I wonder if the experience has affected the actress in some way. I felt completely sucked into the psyche of Laura Palmer and somewhere in the back of my mind I heard a little voice saying "but you know her". I do?
How very Log Lady of me.

No Big Ed's Gas Farm, no The Great Northern or any of the Hornes, no mill and no Packards, no Hawk or Shurff Truman - and Donna was recast (probably a good idea).
Chris Isaak, I must say it didn't look very promising although something interesting happened in the trailer park.
According to the youtube comments it's connected to one of the Lodges and in the scene there's also emphasis on the electrical circuit outside, with the numbers on it.
Now, I'm not even going to try to figure out what it means and besides, I interpreted that scene very differently.
I assumed it was a poor attempt to cover up his shame or justify his whereabouts, as if he was surprised by his emotions.

Then there's Kiefer Sutherland and David Bowie, talk about stunt casting just for the heck of it. Ha!

I wonder if Laura got the chance to write Annie's message in her diary, it could be an angle for season 3.
Here's one of the many same faces of the talented Ray Wise.
1627868684471.png

Ah! The Little Man is Philip "Mike" Gerard's arm. That makes sense.
The old lady and her grandson from the meals on wheels episode also feature in this movie, with a creepy gift for Laura.
1627872186300.png

I wondered if BOB would open that door and crawl out of the picture (something like that happened in THE RING).

I'm feeling a little wiped out. Time to tuck myself in and have pleasant dreams about Knots Landing laserdiscs or something.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
David Bowie's scene was confusing but the rest wasn't so difficult to follow?
The disappearance of Chet Desmond (and Sam Stanley?) wasn't adddressed in the series, I think, maybe they'll pop up in season 3!

It's amazing but somehow I've managed to avoid all season 3 spoilers. Or was it not heavily discussed on the internet?

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it is no doubt but i don't really know that many other than to say season 3 does actually pick up right where season 2 left off. i do know how it ends and some love it some hate it but i haven't seen it yet so i dunno how i feel about it ya know? as for the film yeah what did happen to Chris Issac for one? if memory serves me right there's more footage of him and Kiefer Sutherland as well that was cut and i think David Bowie had more footage as well i do have a disc that came with my gold dvd box set and it's got an hrs worth of deleted scenes from fire walks with me no joke.

as for the show itself? i've always said that the only one that show makes any kind of sense is David Lynch himself

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i do have a disc that came with my gold dvd box set and it's got an hrs worth of deleted scenes from fire walks with me
no Hawk or Shurff Truman
I just read on wiki (it's a fascinating read) that many of the series' actors have done scenes for the movie, but these scenes were also cut from the release.
Personally, I think it was a wise decision eventhough it may not have been the preference of everyone involved.
FWWM feels like forbidden, unearthed footage and it probably wouldn't mix with the series' off-beat humour. It's about everything we didn't see in the series, the torment of the enigmatic and beautiful Laura Palmer, homecoming queen in a picture-perfect American small town.

Sheryl Lee totally nailed it and the atmosphere is just perfect for this movie. The colours are not as warm and autumnal as the series but that makes sense because it's about the darkest side of Twin Peaks, the raw and nightmarish stuff, and too many cameo appearances could have hindered the flow of the movie.
Pete "she's dead, wrapped in plastic" Martell is a great character but he has nothing to do with Fire Walk With Me.
Norma Jennings is in it but you have to use a magnifying glass to see her, haha. I think she had her hair cut.

I kinda like it that the film has a few spots here and there, it adds to the obscurity and grittiness of the movie. The 1950s theme seems more exaggerated in some parts and yet it looks as if it's made in the 1970s, but with a strong sense of 1990s psychedelicism. That's not art, that's a miracle.

But now I also need to see THE MISSING PIECES, the spin-off of the spin-off movie (oops, only available on bluray. dammit dammit dammit!)

James from London

Telly Talk 20+ Years
LV

Reaction score
Awards
FWWM feels like forbidden, unearthed footage and it probably wouldn't mix with the series' off-beat humour.

The colours are not as warm and autumnal as the series but that makes sense because it's about the darkest side of Twin Peaks, the raw and nightmarish stuff
Yeah, the film really leaves the soap opera homage/parody aspect of TWIN PEAKS behind -- as symbolised by the first shot of the first scene: an axe going through a TV screen. And that continues with Season 3.
But now I also need to see THE MISSING PIECES, the spin-off of the spin-off movie (oops, only available on bluray. dammit dammit dammit!)
I went through the very same thought process.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It just cannot be coincidence that I found this in my youtube suggestions yesterday.

I think he's Dale Cooper's nephew, Emmerdale, who replaces his uncle in season 4. I suggest the Double R puts porridge on the menu.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
the thing about fire walk with me is there's so much of that film that was cut that it needs to be it's true length to make any kind of sense. it's not a great film but than it's not a horrible one either I enjoy it for what it is. yes the entire cast pretty much shot scenes for the film and a lot of it was cut. there are films out there that had stuff cut for a reason that's true but than there are films cut like Fire walk with me which if i recall Lynch was forced to cut by the studio and i think it hurt the film cause it bombed when it came out and i get why too. there is a fan edit i don't have that a fan made that has all the footage put back in i want a copy of that just to see how good it is or how bad?

some movies need that extra footage that was such as the film Promethus that Alien Prequel that i have no idea how to spell i have a fan edit of that which i haven't really watched all of yet. the theatrical cut was hated so much because it had character development cut from the film and it explains why characters did this or that that Ridley Scott said yeah i know my spelling is awful tonight uh sorry about that, well he pretty much said we don't need that we need the action uh no man you need to give reasons why people do this or that. so it's a lot longer cut and it should have been in the theatrical cut to begin with. but this is just my own opinion i haven't seen the theatrical cut of that either.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
the thing about fire walk with me is there's so much of that film that was cut that it needs to be it's true length to make any kind of sense.
Hmm...I'm not sure I agree with that.
Just watched the last MISSING PIECE - I found it on...eh, "above the convenience store" *wink, wink* - and even though there are more scenes with David Bowie it still doesn't affect Laura Palmer's journey. Apparently, Philip Jeffries and "Judy" was a potential angle to further explore BOB's world in an another Twin Peaks project (according to wiki).

Chet & Sam weren't even supposed to be in this movie, that was caused by Kyle MacLachlan's demand to be in the film as little as possible.
It doesn't really matter what happened to them because it only served as an angle to get into the Twin Peaks story.

THE MISSING PIECES is a must-see because there are quite a few gems in it and I wouldn't object to the idea that some of them had been included, but at the same time I don't think any of these scenes were crucial to the plot.
It's great to watch it as FWWM Extra Time, for those who can't get enough of it.
My favourites are all scenes with Sarah Palmer (especially "Norwegian lesson"), Laura & the Haywards and the brilliantly funny scene between Lucy and Sheriff Truman.
They weren't in the movie but we get to see them anyway!

The only part that definitely should not have been in the movie is Annie's hospital scene. What happened in Laura's bedroom is exactly enough, imho.

Chris Isaak, I must say it didn't look very promising
I'd like to explain why. He did what he had to do but it turns out that a good singing voice is not the same as a good acting voice. He sounds terribly weak and uninspired. Kiefer Sutherland's role was even smaller and yet he did it so much better.
Where was the "tear" and temperament of BLUE HOTEL?

i've always said that the only one that show makes any kind of sense is David Lynch himself
Maybe you shouldn't watch it as a puzzle that needs to be solved because then it becomes a bit of a task.
I honestly don't think that the surrealistic scenes serve as clues - that would be totally overestimating our intelligence - but if you go with the flow and simply enjoy the beauty of it then it still makes sense. A scene with Cooper in the black lodge could be one of Laura's dreams because the series had already established some kind of telepathy between these two characters.
The mere fact that David Lynch creates these scenes is intriguing enough, I don't need to know why. It allows the movie to become a very individual experience.
Knowing what the story is about I sense the horror and tragedy in the most mundane stuff rather than the graphic and shocking scenes, because the very idea that some degree of normality can exist on the outer edges of this story is downright nauseating, imo.

James from London

Telly Talk 20+ Years
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it's not a great film
I think it is. For whatever it's worth, it's one of British film critic Mark Kermode's favourites and I'm not sure he's ever even watched the TV series. He calls it a misunderstood masterpiece and one of the greatest horror films of modern times.

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
there's a lot of people out there who also feel the same as i do, some really hate it i don't hate it i think it as i said really suffers cause so much was cut out of it.
the film is a mismash of things. it wasn't nearly as bad as the Original Dark Shadows films from the 70's where they were so badly edited you could easily tell shit was missing. where in the 1st Dark Shadows film one character was on the good side the next i think he had been i think bitten by a vampire next time we see him and is killed. never said how he got that way or why. and the 2nd one makes even less sense both the studio forced Dan Curtis to cut his films but he was a young guy who had never made a film before at that time and did such a piss poor job at it he might as well had the studio do it for him. no Fire walks with me isn't that badly edited

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Mark Kermode's favourites and I'm not sure he's ever even watched the TV series.
He mentions some categories of viewers and I feel I'm not in any of them.
I honestly can't say if I would love the movie as much as I do if I hadn't watched the series first. Simply because I don't know what it's like not having watched the series.
But when I watched the movie (well, re-watched, but it was ages ago) I was never thinking of the series. It's too mesmerizing to think of anything else.

I'm not going to choose between them, it's a psychological horror movie versus a quirky crime-soap opera.