LV

Reaction score
Awards

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't like how each actor has been photographed separately and then photoshopped in. I know there could be some Covid-19 restrictions in play but give me a proper group photo any day.
Sadly, this seems to be the standard procedure for almost all cast photos since Adobe Photoshop got cheap and decent enough at editing. Editing people together in a group shot used to be tedious and expensive, which is probably why they preferred to arrange them like that back in the day, while today it's just faster and more effective to shoot everyone seperately if they don't need to interact in a photograph. It's been this way since the mid-late-00s I feel.

But I agree, I prefer when group shots means actual group shots and not just photoshopping them together.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Same clothes but the colours are a bit different shaded.
Wow. Great pick up there. This image emphasizes my point and could explain in part why the cast of new Dynasty have never quite gelled. I would expect at some point in filming a number of the actors would be on set, heck the Carrington clan have had enough parties during it's short run to include a photographer on set to take a group photo. This latest shot illustrates how really cheap The CW publicity department is...if it exists at all.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The photoshopping also makes it impossible to get photos where actors are touching one another to indicate character ties. It would look more realistic for DA/Cristal and LG/Fallon to have their hands on Blake's shoulders or somehow touching him (indicating their wish to maintain strong contact with him, perhaps hint that the two are in competition for his attentions) rather than their "pose-y" hands-on-hips thing that makes them look like paper dolls. Similarly, if they had a "real" group photo they could have actors looking more at one another than everyone looking straight ahead.

Another of the giveaways that these are recycled images: Jeff's weird eyebrows, which were also seen in images from the previous season.
1623015667125.png

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, I miss when networks would send out press packages with cast photos, summaries etc ahead of a new season. It used to be exciting to see cast pictures because they usually gave an indication of who'd live after a cliffhanger, but those days are gone I guess.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I also don't like how the character Blake is front and centre. New Dynasty has made the same mistake as original Dynasty in believing Blake is this all powerful overlord. I'm finding new Blake just as irritating as old Blake.

Mason Carrington

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
They’ve been doing stuff like this (separate pics photoshopped into groups, changing outfit colours, etc) since at least 2009. I remember the 90210 and Melrose Place reboot cast pics were done exactly the same way.

I think one of the reasons also might relate to actor vanity. In a traditional group pic, there’s always the risk someone might not like the way they look, etc. This way, they can take a few shots, photoshop them to within an inch of their lives, slap them together, and everyone looks “perfect”. Doing it this way also makes it easier to remove cast (if they leave the show), without having to do another photo shoot. Especially important in a show such as this.

Last edited:

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Too many film posters use those unimaginative photoshopped pics too. The graphic art where creative people really had to draw or paint something seems to be erased from TV and movie marketing to save money.