• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Gilligan's Island

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Early into the show, Bob Denver was asked to pose for some publicity photos for the cover of TV GUIDE with Tina Louise. Denver stood firm in his insistence that he wouldn't pose for any pictures unless both Tina and Dawn Wells were in the pictures.

The network relented, but Wells was cut out of the TV GUIDE when it hit the shelves. Here are some pictures from that photo shoot.

1000006963.jpg
1000006964.jpg

Here's the cropped photo used for the TV GUIDE cover:

1000006965.jpg

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Early into the show, Bob Denver was asked to pose for some publicity photos for the cover of TV GUIDE with Tina Louise. Denver stood firm in his insistence that he wouldn't pose for any pictures unless both Tina and Dawn Wells were in the pictures.

The network relented, but Wells was cut out of the TV GUIDE when it hit the shelves. Here are some pictures from that photo shoot.
This was included in the TV movie/documentary reconstruction, didn't realise it was so blatant.

The pictures are funny in the context of the show, because Ginger hardly lusted after Gilligan. Sure, she would use her appeal for her own means, but the pictures read like Gilligan is the real heartthrob of the show.

On a different note, I'm assuming the ring Ginger is wearing in the pictures and the show is Tina's real engagement ring?

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This was included in the TV movie/documentary reconstruction, didn't realise it was so blatant.
The SURVIVING GILLIGAN'S ISLAND movie? I used to have the DVD, but it's on YouTube now for free.

The pictures are funny in the context of the show, because Ginger hardly lusted after Gilligan. Sure, she would use her appeal for her own means, but the pictures read like Gilligan is the real heartthrob of the show.
Gilligan wasn't the heartthrob, but he was the star. Bob Denver felt it was unfair for Tina Louise to be thrust to the forefront of publicity while Dawn Wells lingered in the background. But I'm willing to bet Louise's agent got her a better deal, or, as legend would have you believe, the powers-that-be thought she was hot.

On a different note, I'm assuming the ring Ginger is wearing in the pictures and the show is Tina's real engagement ring?
She didn't marry Les Crane until 1966, but they could've been engaged already by the time these pictures were taken.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The SURVIVING GILLIGAN'S ISLAND movie? I used to have the DVD, but it's on YouTube now for free.

Gilligan wasn't the heartthrob, but he was the star. Bob Denver felt it was unfair for Tina Louise to be thrust to the forefront of publicity while Dawn Wells lingered in the background. But I'm willing to bet Louise's agent got her a better deal, or, as legend would have you believe, the powers-that-be thought she was hot.

She didn't marry Les Crane until 1966, but they could've been engaged already by the time these pictures were taken.

That's the one. It's timestamped below. I'd take the way the movie depicts things with a grain of salt considering the he said she said history of the show.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Where are you -- Ginger or Mary Ann?
Mary Ann. I've just never found "glamorous" to be attractive as such.

The network relented, but Wells was cut out of the TV GUIDE when it hit the shelves.
Wells still looks like a third wheel in the uncropped versions. It's arguably better for her that they ran as two-shots.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones

View attachment 49995View attachment 49996

Here's the cropped photo used for the TV GUIDE cover:

View attachment 49997
I think that I read that that photo originally included both Tina Louise and Dawn Wells, but the editors chose to show just Bob Denver and Tina Louise