Grande Dame Guignol

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As Judith Crist, one of the better critics of the '60s, said: "the guignol is about as grand as it gets."

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Agatha won, yet again.

(How can anyone not have watched Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte before now by the way?)

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recognised some of Snarky's Ghost ideas for Dynasty (e.g. Caress tells Blake about Roger Grimes, Krystle and Alexis hiding the body of...was it Blake?)

Dennis Grimes' body after Alexis drunkenly shoots him in the ball room as he's breaking in; Alexis hysterically tries to wrap him up in a rug just as Krystle, away in Switzerland for a year, wanders in with her plastic suitcase and is stunned by the carnage.

All this happens following a late dinner at the mansion between Alexis, Sable and Caress where Alexis admits she knew jealous Caress, who'd also had an affair with Roger, was the one who told Blake when and where to catch them together in bed. Sable, shocked, reacts in such a fashion that the viewer realizes that Roger was her rapist.

So, yes, it's "Hush... Hush, Sweet Caress."

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Stanwyck's last theatrical film, 1964... Hitchcock's favorite composer, Bernard Herrmann, thought Vic Mizzy's creepy score was one of the best things he'd ever heard. Too bad it was for a Castle film.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Making of" featurette for Bette's 1964 shocker DEAD RINGER:

Trailer:

Last edited by a moderator:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched LADY IN A CAGE several months ago when I had a Hulu account. I was thrilled to find such a Grande Dame Guignol piece of cinema on the service, that I watched it immediately. The movie stars two-time Oscar winner Olivia de Havilland as a physically impaired older woman who gets stuck in her home's private elevator. It co-stars the likable Ann Sothern and features a young James Caan as a hoodlum who breaks into her house.

The other night I looked up LADY IN A CAGE on Wikipedia. According to the website, the film was profitable for Paramount Pictures in 1964, but the reviews were harsh initially. TIME magazine said that the movie "adds Olivia de Havilland to the list of cinema actresses who would apparently rather be freaks than be forgotten." Most reviews centered on the vulgarity of the story and how shocked people were that a star of de Havilland's stature did such a film. Columnist Hedda Hopper said "The picture should be burned... Why did Olivia do it?" VARIETY said that there was not a "single redeeming character or characteristic" in what they called a "vulgar screenplay". Apparently some critics felt Olivia's performance was trying for "Oscar bait", and there was a fair amount of criticism for James Caan "copying" Marlon Brando. The film's reception has improved over time.

On the face of it, I can understand the bad reviews. I'm certainly not going to try and bolster LADY IN A CAGE as some outstanding achievement in cinema. But I can firmly say that I enjoyed it. I've never been a major Olivia de Havilland fan, so perhaps my enjoyment was drawn more from fascination with the hag horror subgenre than her performance itself. Even so, I can admit that her performance here was strong, and even if the screenplay got a little sloppy, I'd say LADY IN A CAGE was one of the more interesting of the Grande Dame Guignol films I've seen thus far.

The miniseries FEUD: BETTE AND JOAN would have us believe that Olivia was humiliated by her work in LADY IN A CAGE, and that is why she wasn't sure whether or not she wanted to replace Joan Crawford in HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE shortly thereafter. Of course, I can understand why a two-time Oscar winner like Olivia might've felt that making such "shockers" was a big stepdown from the heights her career had achieved. The studios weren't making the women's pictures she had been comfortable in for so long, but she didn't seem too worried about her career hitting the skids. Unlike Davis and Crawford, she didn't dive head first into making horror films in the 1960s. She only did two: LADY IN A CAGE and HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE.
1621955751177.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
On the set of HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE shortly after Olivia had been hired to replace Joan.

As if to say: "Bye, Bye, Sweet Crawford" and "Hello, Miss de Havilland" by eliminating Pepsi and bringing in Coke.​

1621957515907.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Two of Astor's most important films from the '30s are RED DUST and THE PRISONER OF ZENDA, but I haven't seen them.
I watched RED DUST when TCM aired it once. I'm a pretty big Jean Harlow fan, and I wanted to see perhaps the most famous of the Harlow-Gable pairings. Mary Astor was good in her role, playing the 'good' to Harlow's 'bad' girl.
1622036131248.png
1622036159813.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
THE NIGHT WALKER was originally to be a Joan Crawford vehicle, but she bowed out because she was committed to HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE at the time. She had already done STRAIT-JACKET for William Castle, and she ended up doing I SAW WHAT YOU DID for him as well.

1622058267050.png

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
THE NIGHT WALKER was originally to be a Joan Crawford vehicle, but she bowed out because she was committed to HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE at the time. She had already done STRAIT-JACKET for William Castle, and she ended up doing I SAW WHAT YOU DID for him as well.

View attachment 27476
Is Joan holding an axe there? Cause if she is then that just gave me a better perspective on the garden scene in Mommie Dearest!!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 27476
I SAW WHAT YOU DID is the much more polished picture as compared to STRAIT-JACKET. Oddly enough.

My Internet access was down from Saturday until today due to a wonderful old oak tree falling onto the power lines around the corner. As a result, I found myself inadvertently Donald Sutherlanding out, watching DIE! DIE! MY DARLING, ORDINARY PEOPLE and 'JFK' (I always want to see Sutherland's 20-minute JFK monologue delivered in his DIE! DIE! MY DARLING voice) and, speaking of Darlings, Season 1 of DIRTY SEXY MONEY.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This would likely be my favorite genre if so many of them weren't so stinky. Stanwyck never made another theatrical picture after THE NIGHT WALKER, Olivia de Havilland had to be talked into doing HUSH... HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE after her experience with LADY IN A CAGE, Bette Davis said after CHARLOTTE that the horror genre had been good for her "but I want out," while Crawford, who toiled in the grand dame guignol cinema sewer longer and deeper than anybody else (only BABY JANE was any good, although I SAW WHAT YOU DID was an acceptable B-movie, as those things go) got beaten up enough by the critics (and likely chided by Cukor) for her participation that she publicly lamented in the '70s that she had only done those '60s shockers "because I was bored or because I needed the money or both" and expressed her wish that they be removed from distribution and never see the light of day again.

So the trend exacted a pound of flesh, as it were, for most of those involved. Bette survived it more because hers were better, and because she could seem so effortlessly slattern that the genre seemed to fit her; she'd played terrifying bitches all her life.

"You mean all this time we could have been friends...?"

Yes, but don't get your hopes up; that picture is more interesting than the entire movie.

STRAIT-JACKET or MOMMIE DEAREST?

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This would likely be my favorite genre if so many of them weren't so stinky.

It is a pretty limited genre, in both scope and quality. (Even more so for me. I only regard those movies that are of the direct BABY JANE type to fall within the genre, whereas others seem to consider any horror movie starring a past-her-prime movie queen.) Taken as a whole I think horror movies are the laziest genre, and most are pretty shoddy. I think the ratio is even higher than the "90% of everything is crap" rule.

So the trend exacted a pound of flesh, as it were, for most of those involved.

Not that the ladies would have fared much better without those films; they would have just drifted into semi-obscurity. Without the luck of landing in a TV series (like Stanwyck), there wasn't much awaiting them. I think Myrna Loy and Claudette Colbert were quoted around the time that they'd rather be retired than play demented old bags and, well, they basically were.

STRAIT-JACKET or MOMMIE DEAREST?

Either/or. It is an awfully good pic though, so it's probably better than a ton of movies.