Grande Dame Guignol

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Would THE WITCHES (known as THE DEVIL'S OWN in the U.S.) be considered hagsploitation? It stars Oscar winner Joan Fontaine, the younger sister of Olivia de Havilland.

It was made by Hammer Films in 1966.

I've never seen it.

1622387607753.png

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never seen THE WITCHES. I'm not wild about Joan Fontaine; or, Hammer films for that matter. From what I know of it, I wouldn't consider it the same genre; but, as noted, I have a narrower definition of films of this type than some others. Certainly though this doesn't seem to be of the BABY JANE ilk and Joan is hardly a "hag" in the film. As indifferent as I am to her, I've gotta give her credit: she aged well. She hardly looked different in 1966 than in 1946. I think Olivia was already stout and matronly by this point.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never seen THE WITCHES. I'm not wild about Joan Fontaine; or, Hammer films for that matter. From what I know of it, I wouldn't consider it the same genre; but, as noted, I have a narrower definition of films of this type than some others. Certainly though this doesn't seem to be of the BABY JANE ilk and Joan is hardly a "hag" in the film. As indifferent as I am to her, I've gotta give her credit: she aged well. She hardly looked different in 1966 than in 1946. I think Olivia was already stout and matronly by this point.
I've never been a big Joan Fontaine fan. I like her even less than I like Olivia de Havilland. Olivia's got a few movies that I wouldn't mind seeing, but Joan doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. She just comes across too cold and stiff.​

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Some actors deserve to be mauled to death by a stuffed great dane, even if only on screen. I would lump Peter Lawford into that group.

I might watch more of his movies if I was guaranteed he always met such a comic-gruesome fate.

Somehow, Lawford is never really Lawford without his '70s salt-and-pepper shag hairdo.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
what's that for Straight Jacket (1964) ? which is one of my favorites of hers, it's sad that she hated this point in her career but some of them are pretty damn good but not all of them were of course.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
what's that for Straight Jacket (1964) ? which is one of my favorites of hers, it's sad that she hated this point in her career but some of them are pretty damn good but not all of them were of course.
Yes that is for Strait Jacket. I thought she was perfectly cast in that role too. I think it’s a better movie than it gets credit for to be honest.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i agree too there's a lot of her movies going back to the silents i still need to watch but i'd say her worst that i can think of anyways is Montana Moon (1930) that's i think her worst film that i've seen thus far

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i love William Castle's films but his worst one is called Macabre (1958) WOW was that one a piece of shit WOW was it bad. for years it was hard as hell to find and i think they have since after so many years put it on dvd though or was it bluray? i forget which.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I decided to venture out today for an early dinner -- an overproced steak, broccoli, mushrooms, and a cocktail. And wore my only unwrinkled top, a black T-shirt with Joan Crawford with an axe.

Nobody cared, nobody noticed. So I think society has become too jaded.

1629663070074.png

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I decided to venture out today for an early dinner -- an overproced steak, broccoli, mushrooms, and a cocktail. And wore my only unwrinkled top, a black T-shirt with Joan Crawford with an axe.

Nobody cared, nobody noticed. So I think society has become too jaded.

Practically formal wear in 2021. You probably could have gone dressed as Joan and not raised any eyebrows.