HG TV & Southfork

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I find videos and photos of Southfork, including on the inside, to be strangely soothing, even though the studio sets were different from the real thing.
I'm not sure why.

It's easy to believe that the Ghosts of Ewings Past are still floating around some place, despite their being fiction.

I don't have the same reaction to Filoli, even though it's beautiful. Perhaps because there's not much atmospheric connection between Filoli and the Carrington mansion and that series (except for the pilot).

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I find videos and photos of Southfork, including on the inside, to be strangely soothing, even though the studio sets were different from the real thing.
I'm not sure why.

It's easy to believe that the Ghosts of Ewings Past are still floating around some place, despite their being fiction.

I don't have the same reaction to Filoli, even though it's beautiful. Perhaps because there's not much atmospheric connection between Filoli and the Carrington mansion and that series (except for the pilot).

I have always wanted to visit Northern California to see the Carrington Mansion and the especially Falcon Crest - just when I've been their it never worked out. One day it will. And I'd take a special trip to Dallas just to see South Fork, but honestly I don't think I'd go inside. Now, IF the owners gutted the inside and made it like the sets (it doesn't have to be a real house with all the real pieces just the main dinning room, living room entry hall at a minimum) I'd book my trip right now. I hear it is a huge attraction in the Dallas area, so I don't understand why they don't spend the money to make it so. As a conference center I would think it would be more valuable, sitting around the Ewing dinning room table for a meeting, moving the furniture in the living to host a cocktail hour, all that before using the outbuildings and tents on the property to host any number of events. They did something similar with the Brady House and looking at it, that must have been a much bigger challenge considering the structure of the outside.

I get what you're saying, the house seems like a home in a way that the Carrington Mansion and even Falcon Crest did not. Imagine walking into the living room and Grandpa Southworth's picture and photo's of the family all around and then step into the study off the back and Jock's picture. I'd feel like I was visiting the Ewings.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have always wanted to visit Northern California to see the Carrington Mansion and the especially Falcon Crest - just when I've been their it never worked out. One day it will. And I'd take a special trip to Dallas just to see South Fork, but honestly I don't think I'd go inside. Now, IF the owners gutted the inside and made it like the sets (it doesn't have to be a real house with all the real pieces just the main dinning room, living room entry hall at a minimum) I'd book my trip right now. I hear it is a huge attraction in the Dallas area, so I don't understand why they don't spend the money to make it so. As a conference center I would think it would be more valuable, sitting around the Ewing dinning room table for a meeting, moving the furniture in the living to host a cocktail hour, all that before using the outbuildings and tents on the property to host any number of events. They did something similar with the Brady House and looking at it, that must have been a much bigger challenge considering the structure of the outside.

I get what you're saying, the house seems like a home in a way that the Carrington Mansion and even Falcon Crest did not. Imagine walking into the living room and Grandpa Southworth's picture and photo's of the family all around and then step into the study off the back and Jock's picture. I'd feel like I was visiting the Ewings.

Although I hear business at Southfork has slowed, unsurprisingly.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I guess that reflects how good -- or, at least, how effective -- the show was at its peak; there's a three dimensionality about it in people's minds.

I can't tell you how many videos of old DALLAS scenes I've watched on Youtube (usually posted by garry) where old fans don't just gush about how it was "the greatest TV show ever," but often speak to their own dead relatives in their comments (eg,"hi, Daddy!"/"miss you, Grandma!") with whom they used to watch the series. So it got into their lives and family psyches like few other programs ever could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess that reflects how good -- or, at least, how effective -- the show was at its peak; there's a three dimensionality about it in people's minds.

I can't tell you how many videos of old DALLAS scenes I've watched on Youtube (usually posted by garry) where old fans don't just gush about how it was "the greatest TV show ever," but often speak to their own dead relatives in their comments (eg,"hi, Daddy!"/"miss you, Grandma!") with whom they used to watch the series. So it got into their lives and family psyches like few other programs ever could.

The scene on the bottom will be added as an honorable mention to my top 5 scenes ever. Lol

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Shame the producers at Loramar never thought about this regarding the Southfork house. The first one was amazing.

retrosonic

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have never visited Southfork, but when I retire, its on my to do list. I think it would be a real kick to sit at the dining room table!!

But as someone already posted....just seeing the outside of the house in person and up close, would be a real thrill. its irrational, sure, but so is life!!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Shame the producers at Loramar never thought about this regarding the Southfork house. The first one was amazing.

Lorimar should have bought it up when the owner lost it in 1990. I mean, The Ponderosa was still doing good tourist business in 2004, decades after BONANZA ended, and they only sold it (and the razed it) because property values around Lake Tahoe were through the roof.

SFsnowy2.png

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lorimar should have bought it up when the owner lost it in 1990. I mean, The Ponderosa was still doing good tourist business in 2004, decades after BONANZA ended, and they only sold it (and the razed it) because property values around Lake Tahoe were through the roof.

I agree it was a missed opportunity on Lorimar's part. As for the Ponderosa Ranch, I have always wondered why they sold it. Thank you.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree it was a missed opportunity on Lorimar's part. As for the Ponderosa Ranch, I have always wondered why they sold it. Thank you.

It's amazing how much reruns keep some of these shows in the public's mind -- at least middle America. Such that The Ponderosa was still thriving 30 years after BONANZA finally tanked.

sunsetsouthfork.jpg

dallas45years.jpg

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How weird is it that the real owner of Southfork was named "J.R."??

And the eldest Ewing brother was named in the script long-before they went to Duncan Acres in the Summer of 1978.