Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I agree with that @pete lashmar

I dont have any subscription TV channels and only "normal" TV

I gave up on Corrie due to daft plots, unrealistic storylines and some bad acting (Chesney, Fiz, maria, constipated looking Billy, Craig, Gemma et al) and I totally agree that its on far too often,

Back in the day when it was great and very watchable it was on a Mon and Wed and thats enough, its over kill. There is little variety on TV - its either Quiz shows, cooking shows, gardening shows, Reality TV crap and the awful Ant and Dec presenting just about everything. Once in a while a little gem comes along like Unforgotten or a BBC 4-6 parter like Us, The Split, or Life but they are few and far between

I listen to the radio more now than I ever did before

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I really only watch Corrie - unless Linda appears in Hollyoaks again ;) - have never watched an episode of Emmerdale in my life (may have been forced to watch Emmerdale Farm with my Granny as a child), I HATE EastEnders with a passion - but I digress.

I wish we could have just a solid one hour episode rather than a half hour and then this huge break and another half hour. Drives me insane.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really only watch Corrie - unless Linda appears in Hollyoaks again ;) - have never watched an episode of Emmerdale in my life (may have been forced to watch Emmerdale Farm with my Granny as a child), I HATE EastEnders with a passion - but I digress.

I wish we could have just a solid one hour episode rather than a half hour and then this huge break and another half hour. Drives me insane.
Oh yes, the split episodes are a nightmare.

I've also noticed that something like Christmas Day TV, which used to be brimming with fun and entertainment on all channels has now become a dire soap/drama led schedule that leaves no other option than to switch off. I can't even imagine how people who are alone at Christmas deal with having only sad, depressing shows to watch.

Ollie james

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Emmerdale is on fire the Meena storyline has been mental and unmissable in equal measure. I'm looking forward to enjoying life in the dales as it heads to its 50th birthday in October.

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Oh yes, the split episodes are a nightmare.

I've also noticed that something like Christmas Day TV, which used to be brimming with fun and entertainment on all channels has now become a dire soap/drama led schedule that leaves no other option than to switch off. I can't even imagine how people who are alone at Christmas deal with having only sad, depressing shows to watch.
In Australia/New Zealand, they tend to break soaps over Christmas/New Year as no one would be watching over their summer (our winter).

There is an exception, when TV2 in New Zealand continued Shortland Street over the Christmas/New Year break of 1995 rather than end on a season finale.

It meant the death of Carmen Roberts from a brain aneurysm (caused by being injured in the clinic truck crash) aired on Christmas Day of that year. Not what Kiwis were expecting.

Clearly there must have been complaints, as TV2 never aired Shortland Street again over Christmas after that.

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
plus they are developing a new northern based soap, the details of which are not yet known.
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Waterloo Road revival ends up becoming the "Northern based soap" that they've been talking about. They announced that they wanted to launch something set in the North but didn't know what it would be. Then WR did very well when it was added to iPlayer, so I'm guessing that rather than take a chance on something new, they decided to revive a known brand which also ticked the box of being set outside London. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see a new soap but I think that's how it'll play out.

pete lashmar

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Waterloo Road revival ends up becoming the "Northern based soap" that they've been talking about. They announced that they wanted to launch something set in the North but didn't know what it would be. Then WR did very well when it was added to iPlayer, so I'm guessing that rather than take a chance on something new, they decided to revive a known brand which also ticked the box of being set outside London. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see a new soap but I think that's how it'll play out.
I find the whole scrapping of Holby City/reboot of WR all very odd to be honest (not that I watch either). HC was cancelled as the BBC wanted more new drama to give viewers more new shows and then recommission WR.

It's very possible they did this for the reasons you gave, they've certainly been very quiet with regards the their "Northern project". However, looking back at the BBC announcement for it in March 2021 they stated that they planned "two new long-running network drama series over the next three years".

Maybe, like they did when planning EastEnders, they are giving producers and writers time to get things planned well, unlike Eldorado which cost the BBC an absolute fortune.

Englishboy

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The only programmes I watched on Christmas Day were Strictly Come Dancing and the festive edition of The Larkins which didn't even make it into the top 10.

I worry how much longer ITV will be able to survive with ratings this low!

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Looks like your wish has been granted.

Apparently,

Due to the schedule change Emmerdale will now air at 7.30pm consistently Coronation Street will now broadcast hour-long episodes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8pm.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Apparently,

Due to the schedule change Emmerdale will now air at 7.30pm consistently Coronation Street will now broadcast hour-long episodes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8pm.
That puts Emmerdale and Coronation Street in direct competition with EastEnders. The EastEnders audience figures have plummeted in recent years and being screened at the same time as Emmerdale and Coronation Street will probably mean a further decline in its viewing figures.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Apparently,

That puts Emmerdale and Coronation Street in direct competition with EastEnders. The EastEnders audience figures have plummeted in recent years and being screened at the same time as Emmerdale and Coronation Street will probably mean a further decline in its viewing figures.
This is an interesting turn of events for a number of reasons. Not only will the ITV soaps be going head to head with EastEnders but also with whatever new 8pm dramas the BBC launch going forward (including the Waterloo Road revival). The live ratings for EE will definitely take a hit but it'll probably continue to pull in the required figures through iPlayer and catch up, so I don't think it's ready for the scrapheap just yet (nevermind the new set just being finished).

If BBC are worried about live ratings, their only options for avoiding the ITV soaps would mean either partially or completely displacing The One Show in order to accommodate EE. This would be the first time since the fourth episode was added in 2001, that any change has been made to their timeslots (excluding rescheduling for sports or special events). Historically, EE adding their third episode in 1994 left Brookside in the same predicament and Channel 4 ended up moving their soap to avoid the clash.

Finally, I think the move is another indication that ITV is recognising that streaming is the main game in town now and that their live schedules can be more fluid. Particularly when you consider how long Emmerdale has held that 7pm slot for, ITV clearly aren't concerned about losing habit forming live viewers in the move. Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see it pan out.