Barbara Fan

Dallas Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
You can make as many Dallas reboots as you want. They will fail.
It was the original cast who breathed life intp their parts that made Dallas a sucess.

Dallas belongs in the 80 s, it summed up the era thats why it was a success
Lets keep it there.

I dont want anyone playing the originals, And TNT proved that Larry, Linda and Patrick werent enough to make it successful or save it.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For many people JR was Dallas and without JR there would be no Dallas.:(

OT-- the same with many great shows that had an iconic character that fans continue to talk about to this day (like 70s ABC/CBS Wonder Woman, where Lynda Carter was that title character [her alter-ego being Diana Prince], and there would be no Wonder Woman in films today [Gal Gadot has played her there in a markedly different fashion] if it weren't for Lynda Carter in the 70s on ABC and CBS).

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
OT-- the same with many great shows that had an iconic character that fans continue to talk about to this day (like 70s ABC/CBS Wonder Woman, where Lynda Carter was that title character [her alter-ego being Diana Prince], and there would be no Wonder Woman in films today [Gal Gadot has played her there in a markedly different fashion] if it weren't for Lynda Carter in the 70s on ABC and CBS).
Lynda Carter played WW in a different era, with different expectations, but she still made the role memorable
Gal Gadot has proven to be a good choice. I wish that she was given better material. WW 1984 could have been much better,
but GG was quite good in it

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
There may not be much of demand for an Early Years saga, but what about pre Bobby/Pam with JR learning the Business under Jock's direction
Bobby as a frat boy partier, Ray learning the ranching business and Gary battling his issues?

Sort of a Middle Years saga
Luv that!! I really don't care that much about the TNT version.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
I would love to have had TNT's nuDALLAS run a decade, ending maybe about now. The potential was great.

But Cidre and company just didn't seem to have much interest in the original show, and their attempts to balance old and new stumbled badly (which is why the initially-promising ratings collapsed even before Larry died).

You can't do a sequel series of an old chestnut like DALLAS in a half-arsed way especially when it was the most successful nighttime drama in global TV history. But they still did that.

Once given the opportunity to take over an experienced franchise show, most new producers just seem to have a series which exists inside their own heads and then twist the project into that. And so it seems with Cidre and nuDALLAS.

Last edited:

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
Mind you if Dallas does get the reboot treatment keep Cynthia Cidre well away from it!

Ideally if he's available the shows creator David Jacobs should be involved.

And this time have someone who has actually watched Lorimar Dallas as the showrunner and Executive Producer. :)
I can't believe that someone who never watched the original show or who wasn't aware of the phenomenon was out in charge!! That is insane!

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
You can make as many Dallas reboots as you want. They will fail.
It was the original cast who breathed life intp their parts that made Dallas a sucess.

Dallas belongs in the 80 s, it summed up the era thats why it was a success
Lets keep it there.

I dont want anyone playing the originals, And TNT proved that Larry, Linda and Patrick werent enough to make it successful or save it.
I wonder if the show would have been successful if Larry had lived.

Via The Void

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if the show would have been successful if Larry had lived.

I doubt it very much.

The main problem with the show was that the Ewing's were presented more like guest stars in the series. There were too many extraneous characters which took the focus off the Ewing's. That and the direction the show took creatively is what I believe made it a failure. :(

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not convinced that Dallas with the original cast if it was launched today would be a success. The world has moved on and long running continuing dramas are increasingly going out of fashion. Dallas belongs to the era in which it was launched, it was the right show at the right time but that time was 30-40 years ago.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
I'm not convinced that Dallas with the original cast if it was launched today would be a success. The world has moved on and long running continuing dramas are increasingly going out of fashion. Dallas belongs to the era in which it was launched, it was the right show at the right time but that time was 30-40 years ago.

Yes, and dynasties are old hat now for TV.

Rove

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Agreed. Everything has changed the way we watch any series. We can purchase our favourite series on DVD/Blu-Ray and watch at leisure. If it's available on a streaming service we can binge watch it. I'm eternally grateful I was able to watch Dallas in its original television run. I felt like I was part of this global family watching something unique. There was something magical about it and it's rarely been captured since except maybe for Game of Thrones at the height of its popularity. Again there was this global community watching something phenomenal.

I've always advocated Dallas would work best today - as a continuation - if it was released as a limited series run every few years. A 20 or 25 episode season dropped, then rested. This way Dallas can remain fresh without becoming stale like Lorimar Dallas did.

I say this because I miss seeing what Sue Ellen and Bobby are up to.

Last edited:

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
I grateful that I grew up during the original run. It really was a global phenomenon at the time. This is just my opinion....I don't even think G.O.T. was the same phenomenon. I could be wrong, but EVERYONE knew who Larry was. When Larry was appearing on different talk shows. he was always introduced as "the biggest star in the world" or "everyone knows him as JR Ewing on Dallas". I don't think we will ever see something like that again. We were the lucky ones to live during that time.