International Broadcasts

Billy Nolan

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A KL ad from Italy ~California~ S 1 E 11 "Courageous Conviction" is described.

L importante e ammetterio.jpg

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
They used KL theme as preview for next episode of Germany's "Promis unter Palmen". Current episode only aired once - because of the big scandal they put it from their streaming service and cancelled all tv repeats. I had dvr'ed the episode and it took me a few days to watch it because it was indeed heavy stuff and very scandalous. I was a bit shocked when they used sweet KL theme as preview. Let's hope it was a one time thing. Next episode had been online on Joyn for a very short time, but those viewers who were able to watch it were shocked, so they put it off and cut 30 minutes out of it for a cleaner tv version. Tomorrow we'll know if they use KL theme once more.

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
WOW! Interesting!! Thanks for the information. I just checked it out. You can find it here at 0:35

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Same preview was used once more at the beginning of yesterday's episode. We'll never know if KL theme would have been used in more episodes, because after contestant Willi Herren died today, Sat1 cancelled whole season of "Promis unter Palmen".

Last edited:

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Same preview was used once more at the beginning of yesterday's episode. We'll never know if KL theme would have been used in more episodes, because after contestant Willi Herren died today, Sat1 cancelled whole season of "Promis unter Palmen".
My wife just told me about Willi Herren´s sudden death!
So now the entire season has been canceled?
His death is so tragic ... He was exactly my age. The cause of death is still unknown.

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I browsed through some old Italian TV magazines to find out more about "Knots Landing" broadcasting in Italy.
The series ran there for the first time from late October 1981 to mid-May 1984 under the title "Da Dallas a Knots Landing" (From Dallas To Knots Knots Landing) on various public TV channels, such as "Telecolor TVP" / "TN 4 "Or" TVR Televerona ". The days of the broadcast varied between a weekly or daily rhythm. Likewise the broadcast times. So the series was e.g. broadcast on some TV channels at 1:00 p.m. on others only at 23:00.

In 1985, the larger Italian TV broadcaster RETE bought Knots Landing.
RETE 4 gave Knots Landing a new name: "California". Its own logo was designed and its own opening credits were shown. The series began to be shown on Sunday evenings at 8:30 p.m. (from 1986 on Wednesdays evenings), the series was interrupted the following year and broadcast again from the beginning almost 3 years later (1989). In 1990 the series was interrupted again and in 1991 the 9th season was broadcast. However, the last episodes of the 9th season were missing. The last few seasons were never shown or dubbed in Italy.
The TV channels "Italia 7" and "Cinquestelle" repeated the series in 1993 and 1995.

here is an overview of the broadcast dates:

the first seasons (I couldn't find exact details): October to May 1984 - regional TV stations with the title "Da Dallas a California"
Season 1 - Season 2 (episode "Step One"): 07.07. - 10.11.1985 on RETE 4 / Sundays at 8.30 p.m., repetition on Sundays at 12.00 p.m.)
Season 2 (from episode "Breach of Faith") - Season 3 (episode "Reunion"): 08.01.-25.06.1986 on RETE 4 / Wednesdays at 8:30 pm
Season 1 - Season 8: March - November 1989 on RETE 4 / Monday to Friday (sometimes also on Saturdays) in the afternoon (around 3:00 p.m. or 5:00 p.m.)
Season 9: 13.05.-06.09.1991 on RETE 4 / Mondays and occasionally Fridays at 10:30 p.m. (until the episode "Mother Knows Best") - all other episodes were not shown or dubbed

Repetitions on the regional TV channels "Cinquestelle" (1993, at 1:00 p.m.) and "Italia 7" (1995, at 2:30 p.m.)

collage (4).jpg

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
more from Italy...
You can see the old Italian KL title in the last clipping: "Da Dallas a Knots Landing"

1985 21.07..JPG
1985 20.10..JPG
1985 29.09..JPG

Decisione difficile1.jpg
Autostop a.jpg
da dallas a knots landing 14.05.1984.jpg

Last edited:

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
FILM 28 Mai 1989.jpg
FILM 28 Mai 1989a.jpg

Here is a report about Joan Van Ark from the Polish "FILM" magazine from May 1989.
I don't know if Knots Landing ever aired in Poland, but the show is not called "Knots Landing" but "Zachodnie wybrzeze" in the little report on Van Ark. Translated, this means "West Coast". I can't say whether this is just a plain translation or the actual Polish title of "Knots Landing". I (still) lack too much information on this. I know, however, that there were also reports about Lisa Hartman in Poland at the time in connection with her music and Knots Landing. I will look for these out on occasion.

Here´s the tranlastion of the Polish article:
"Her grandparents were Dutch, but Joan is considered as an American. She's been the small screen star for a decade, especially for the series "Zachodnie wybrzeze" (West Coast). In her private life she is known for taking many humanitarian measures: The UCLA Cancer Institute has named her as the "Personality of the Year".

Last edited:

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did the international broadcasts use a different name for the town "Knots Landing"?

I don't remember. I'm not sure they used the name very overtly in the French version. Maybe they translated it to "the town" most of the time ? Well, maybe I am telling crap. Really, I don't remember.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the American Knots Landing ever mentioned their Knots Landing town. What could be the reason to mention the town you're living in?
I think Falcon Crest did it the most because there was always someone targeting the Tuscany Valley, or did they just call it "the valley"?
Saying "I'm leaving Dallas/Denver/the Valley" suggests a signifcant journey, but "leaving Knots Landing" could also mean moving to the neighbour town. It just doesn't sound very epic.
But then again, leaving the cul-de-sac without consulting Karen first is also not done.

"Leaving Peyton Place" is like entering the Twilight Zone, you may as well be dead. There is no future, there is nothing.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, they mentioned it occasionally in different contexts. It was always treated as a "community," an area with an ill-defined border---but occasionally they made it a defined, incorporated town/city within the greater Los Angeles area. It just depended on what they needed for that week's script. Richard occasionally lamented the fact that he wasn't further along in his career, that they had to live in Knots Landing rather than some place more upscale like Beverly Hills of Brentwood (reflective of his idea that KL was too middle class). An early plot had Richard trying to get elected to the School Board, with everyone referring to the Knots Landing Unified School System. They even mocked up school buses (picking up the kids) with that written on the side throughout the series. That gave it more than the feel of a neighborhood but an actual political entity. We occasionally saw people address letters/packages to residents of the cul-de-sac with "Knots Landing, CA 90250" as the city/state/zip.

One of Paige's funniest lines was when she quipped "Oh, come now....everyone knows there are no secrets in Knots Landing."

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did the international broadcasts use a different name for the town "Knots Landing"?

Not in Germany. They named the town, the community "Knots Landing" - like the original.

In this KL promo video of the German TV station "Passion", Richard mentions the community "Knots Landing"

At the moment I am compiling an overview of the German, French, Italian, Catalan and (as far as they are known) the Spanish episode titles and comparing them with the original title. Sometimes there are some very free (and also funny) translations of the original episode titles. Occasionally I will publish a few here in the forum.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've just stumbled upon a couple of trailers which mention Knots Landing's return to UK TV in 1986 after an absence of almost three years...

A general promo for the BBC's new daytime schedule:

And the lineup for the day Knots returned. As the Beeb had pulled the plug after Season Three's Reunion episode, the first "new" episode shown was Cricket: