• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Intro themes to Dallas over the years ...

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
I always noticed the music more than anything, the first two years were sort of messy... drums were off and bass was boomy but it got better and more refined as the years go by.
Too, during the first two seasons the cameras caught the Cowboys logo on the field and then it was the Owboys up until season 7 or 8 when they finally quit chopping it off. Lots of other little changes too, it's sort of interesting.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Minor quibble: they repeat the Season 5 (per DVD) orchestration under the Season 7 visuals.

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
Gawd I absolutely love the theme music.

In all it's different arrangements on the show, it's just terrific. :cool:
I liked the season 3 song where the kettle drums made the opening of the song sound HUGE and majestic! It was a nice touch. Season 4 they seemed to brighten everything up a bit too much.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I liked the season 3 song where the kettle drums made the opening of the song sound HUGE and majestic! It was a nice touch. Season 4 they seemed to brighten everything up a bit too much.
I love them all but my favourite has to be season thirteen, the penultimate season. :)

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved this show as well and am glad they kept it and not change it like some shows tended to do. I miss the theme music that shows do and hope they bring it back. Anyway, I loved the Dallas theme song. I was glad that on Dallas TNT, they finally did the opening the way we remember it with the cast although I would have liked it even better if it had them in alphabetical order.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like the first couple of seasons. Maybe they're a bit rough around the edges, but that disco beat...

Also a few years later, the Peter Richards year, that pulsing synth line before the main theme kicks is so fantastically early-mid-80s... I always had a notion they got that from ZZ Top's 'Legs', which was a big Texas-flavored hit of the time.

Season 7 (DVD):
- 0:11 for the synth

ZZ Top Legs:
- 0:29 for the synth

same tempo key and everything!

...and it looks like the Dallas theme must have been recorded in 1983 while Legs was a hit in 1984 (though the album came out in 1983). Looks like ZZ Top was inspired by Dallas! Synth line, hell maybe even famous leg model from The Graduate, Sue Ellen!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This used to bother me a lot. I would say to myself they can show all those cattle running around but they couldn’t get a decent enough shot of the ‘C’ in Cowboys.

One thing I wonder-- why did they let the full word show on the first two gos (and the 7th [1983-84], and every one after that, including the reunions [starting in the Dream Season, the camera zoomed down towards the field]), but for 3-6, edit it where the logotype was cut off?

Last edited:

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
One thing I wonder-- why did they let the full word show on the first two gos (and the 7th [1983-84], and every one after that, including the reunions [starting in the Dream Season, the camera zoomed down towards the field]), but for 3-6, edit it where the logotype was cut off?
They probably spent a lot of time on it and for some reason no one really noticed it until it was too late. It would have been extra time and money spent because probably in those days things were edited down to video tape or film where as a simple digital insert wasn't possible like it is now a days. :oops:

Herofan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also a few years later, the Peter Richards year, that pulsing synth line before the main theme kicks is so fantastically early-mid-80s... I always had a notion they got that from ZZ Top's 'Legs', which was a big Texas-flavored hit of the time.
I payed attention to that particular spot every first episodes side of each season to see what they were going to do there. It was a transition area, and I believe it changed every season.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I payed attention to that particular spot every first episodes side of each season to see what they were going to do there. It was a transition area, and I believe it changed every season.

And it was just one cog in the creativity that was the Dallas title track.