Is anyone else here obsessed with Falliam?

vicki4471

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
a walk to remember
I just started watching this show a month or so ago because I was bored and had nothing else to watch. I was totally fine and invested in Fallon with Culhane.... until Liam showed up. Then I fell for those two together completely. So much so that I started hating Culhane because he wouldnt go away. LOL. I sort of peaked ahead and saw spoilers and was so upset about what I read happened late season 4 that I have boycotted those episodes because I did not want to see any of that. I picked back up on season 4 finale and watched season 5 on prime video. I love those 2 so much that I have started to over analyze everything about them.
For instance,

1 Fallons marriage to Jeff was not legal because she was legally married to Liam. We saw the marriage license that said Liam Ridley. How was the marriage to Liam legal if his name was actually Jack Lowden? Did he legally change his name to Liam Ridley?

2 Also Fallon said she had scar tissue from where she got shot and could never carry a baby. Then a couple episodes later someone said she couldnt get pregnant. ( I think it was Laura).
Not being able to carry a baby and not being able to conceive one are not always the same thing. They could harvest Fallons eggs and the fertilize them and implant them into the surrogate. That whole situation could have made for some classic scenes between those two.. So I was just wondering if Fallon getting pregnant was a remote possiblility?

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Man In the Ironic Mask
I've always been rather confused by the whole Liam Ridley/Jack Lowden situation, assuming one was the name he used for his writing, but never really getting a concrete answer.

When characters on soaps have frozen embryos on ice somewhere, it never ends well. I could see a plot where Fallon and Liam store some frozen embryos at the hospital where Adam and Amanda work. After yet another big fight with Amanda, Adam would engineer a minor accident where Kirby is knocked unconscious. She spends a few days in the hospital and all seems okay until....Kirby later discovers she's pregnant. Amanda is heartbroken---after all, Kirby obviously cheated on her! Kirby is stunned, since she had not slept with any men in over a year. Jokes about immaculate conceptions aside, everybody assumes the worst about Kirby. Turns out Adam had one of Fallon and Liam's embryos implanted in Kirby during her time in the hospital without her knowing. Fallon and Liam are notified that one of the embryos in the cryo lab is "no longer viable" due to a cooling malfunction (to cover the fact that it was stolen), prompting Fallon to threaten a lawsuit. Fallon and Liam decide to ask Kirby if they can adopt her mystery baby, and Adam manipulates Kirby into believing she should leave the US after the adoption goes through. Amanda, meanwhile is investigating how F&L's other embryos didn't perish in the "cooling malfunction" and figures out the embryo was taken. Simple math tells her the embryo disappeared just as she had her big blow-out fight with Adam....and Kirby discovered her pregnancy four weeks later. Amanda, armed with proof the baby really is Fallon and Liam's, shows up at the manor just as Kirby signs the adoption papers and all hell breaks loose when Amanda pins the crime on Adam in front of Blake, Alexis, Cristal, and everyone else.

But.....of course none of that could happen in six episodes, so it's a moot point now.:lame:

vicki4471

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
a walk to remember
I've always been rather confused by the whole Liam Ridley/Jack Lowden situation, assuming one was the name he used for his writing, but never really getting a concrete answer.

When characters on soaps have frozen embryos on ice somewhere, it never ends well. I could see a plot where Fallon and Liam store some frozen embryos at the hospital where Adam and Amanda work. After yet another big fight with Amanda, Adam would engineer a minor accident where Kirby is knocked unconscious. She spends a few days in the hospital and all seems okay until....Kirby later discovers she's pregnant. Amanda is heartbroken---after all, Kirby obviously cheated on her! Kirby is stunned, since she had not slept with any men in over a year. Jokes about immaculate conceptions aside, everybody assumes the worst about Kirby. Turns out Adam had one of Fallon and Liam's embryos implanted in Kirby during her time in the hospital without her knowing. Fallon and Liam are notified that one of the embryos in the cryo lab is "no longer viable" due to a cooling malfunction (to cover the fact that it was stolen), prompting Fallon to threaten a lawsuit. Fallon and Liam decide to ask Kirby if they can adopt her mystery baby, and Adam manipulates Kirby into believing she should leave the US after the adoption goes through. Amanda, meanwhile is investigating how F&L's other embryos didn't perish in the "cooling malfunction" and figures out the embryo was taken. Simple math tells her the embryo disappeared just as she had her big blow-out fight with Adam....and Kirby discovered her pregnancy four weeks later. Amanda, armed with proof the baby really is Fallon and Liam's, shows up at the manor just as Kirby signs the adoption papers and all hell breaks loose when Amanda pins the crime on Adam in front of Blake, Alexis, Cristal, and everyone else.

But.....of course none of that could happen in six episodes, so it's a moot point now.:lame:
I thought that too at first but then his pen name was revealed to be John Southside. So it really confused me. He said his name was Jack Liam Ridley Lowden. So therefore would it not be invalid to just put Liam Ridley on his marriage license?

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Oh I misread the title... that last word... not that I was going to say that I am obsessed with that anyway...

:spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning: :spinning:

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Until this thread was created, I had not really noticed that the 'shipper name "Falliam" has never really caught on here. I certainly see it used in other places. I just typically don't use those blended names for couples unless they are "real words" (example: GH's Franco and Liz were called "Frizz") or is especially clever (GL's Phillip and Harley were "Pharley").

Fallon and Liam might be a special case, though, since Fallon is just such a force of nature and many of her stories are "her" stories, not a couple story per se. We can talk about Fallon's latest story with Liam often acting as her sidekick in much the same way Sam or Jeff might be the sidekick. Liam of course gets stories of his own, too, though not with the prominence Fallon's stories get. So we see the two doing stuff independent of one another and not just joined at the hip the way many top daytime couples end up, making it rarer for us to refer to them with the blended name since they're not functioning as a unit in the story. The two obviously spend a lot of time together and have great romantic scenes but I just don't see the couple as a single entity in the way many daytime soap couples (where the blended names seem to have started) are viewed.

Last edited:

vicki4471

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
a walk to remember
Until this thread was created, I had not really noticed that the 'shipper name "Falliam" has never really caught on here. I certainly see it used in other places. I just typically don't use those blended names for couples unless they are "real words" (example: GH's Franco and Liz were called "Frizz") or is especially clever (GL's Phillip and Harley were "Pharley").

Fallon and Liam might be a special case, though, since Fallon is just such a force of nature and many of her stories are "her" stories, not a couple story per se. We can talk about Fallon's latest story with Liam often acting as her sidekick in much the same way Sam or Jeff might be the sidekick. Liam of course gets stories of his own, too, though not with the prominence Fallon's stories get. So we see the two doing stuff independent of one another and not just joined at the hip the way many top daytime couples end up, making it rarer for us to refer to them with the blended name since they're not functioning as a unit in the story. The two obviously spend a lot of time together and have great romantic scenes but I just don't see the couple as a single entity in the way many daytime soap couples (where the blended names seem to have started) are viewed.
You are the first person I have ever seen who thinks Liam is his own person outside of Fallon. Most of the other forums are just complaining that Liam is a waste of screen time and Fallon's sidekick. I on the other hand adore Liam. I was getting into Fallon's relationship with Culhane and then BAM Liam entered the mix and I was 100% Liam. He is the perfect match for someone as out there as Fallon and I really do think he brings out the best in her and makes her want to be a better person. Does she still go over the top with the scheming yes... but its hilarious when they scheme together. That's why season 4 was so horrible to me. I get every couple has to have the drama and some problems but I think the writers crossed a line by actually making Fallon cheat. Some Eva drama and an affair set up would have been ok but Fallon actually crossing that line and having sex with Colin was too much for me. Typically I give up on the romance once it is tainted in that way but I am still hanging in there with these two.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
A lot of people who watch soaps don't fully understand the hierarchy of characters and the functions they are designed for. Soaps more than most genres have to have lots of supporting characters to help push along the storylines of their leads. Not every character on a soap can be a lead, nor will the supporting characters have the depth or dimension of a lead character. Most notably, most supporting characters don't have their own "point of view" the way a lead will. We get to hear what is going on in the lead character's mind, getting an idea of how they feel about the stories, whereas a supporting character often doesn't share what they are thinking and simply goes along with what their scene partner is doing. A casual viewer might believe this makes the character less 'dimensional' ("Oh, he's boring!") but writers have to observe the hierarchy in order to keep scenes moving and plots going where they need to go. Liam's role in most of Fallon's plotlines are to provide support, occasionally help her solve a problem, and yes, provide a voice of reason when needed. He reins her in to stop her from going too far, since she tends not to observe boundaries. That function is essential in telling her stories, so his presence is not only necessary, but essential. Fallon would not have matured and "grown" without that influence, because let's face it: no one else in the family was going to offer that kind of guidance.

Though it is obvious Liam was created as Fallon's love interest/confidant, they also gave us a nice taste of what his family was like, introducing several members of his family. I will concede that they could have done more with him and certainly with his family, but he had two issues working against him: he was not a Carrington (on a show about the Carringtons), and he was genuinely nice (in a sea of backstabbing narcissists). There was also the real-life issue working against Adam Huber, which was the limited number of episodes he was guaranteed to appear in. The limited episodes issue is also why I feel Elaine Hendrix's Alexis feels more like a supporting character rather than a lead driving story.

Many people likened Liam to the OG series's Jeff Colby, and the Van Kirks could have been an intriguing spinoff idea akin to the OG's Colbys (on The Colbys). If such a spinoff had been created, they likely would have transitioned Liam into a lead on that show, getting to drive his own scenes and stories, and providing a lot more depth than he did on Dynasty. Obviously the show never gained enough of a following for such a spinoff to be suggested, but the groundwork seemed to be there.