It's a Living on Tubi

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She looks drunk. ;)
Early Nancy was much more scary. I recall an episode where she and Jan had a showdown that led to Nancy firing Jan in front of everyone---and frankly, Jan was so out of line that I thought she deserved to be fired. Their argument was rather savage, at least when compared to how easy-going everyone became as the series progressed.
I need to watch these episodes you have talked about in this thread so I can get a clearer picture of what you are talking about.​

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic 2: The Revenge
Pretty sure this was S1 episode 6, "Super-Mom" where Jan took on too much stuff outside of work in an effort to prove she could "do it all"---only she does everything so poorly that she ticks everyone off around her.

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Pretty sure this was S1 episode 6, "Super-Mom" where Jan took on too much stuff outside of work in an effort to prove she could "do it all"---only she does everything so poorly that she ticks everyone off around her.
I'm going to have to watch this episode.

When I first started watching IT'S A LIVING, I was not a major fan of Barrie Youngfellow or Jan in general. Over time, she has warmed on me, but she can be a little irksome occasionally.​

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always remember Barrie Youngfellow appearing as Joan Crawford in THE SCARLETT O'HARA WAR, the 1980 television film centering around the GONE WITH THE WIND talent hunt for the perfect woman to play Scarlett O'Hara.
1621631765290.png

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just finished watching this episode. Jan was way out of line with what she said to Nancy, and I totally agree that Jan deserved to lose her job. Not only was Jan rude to Nancy, her boss, she was also mean and took advantage of her friends. I like how Cassie, Dot, and Vicki finally took enough and bailed, leaving Jan to write the invitations with only Lois left to help.

I would've been mad at Jan for treating me that way, and I'm sure I would've bailed on helping her when she didn't really seem to appreciate it.​

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic 2: The Revenge
That's the luxury of it being an early episode. We did not know the characters well enough to recognize how "out of character" Jan was behaving. Characters become more predictable and comforting over time. Early episodes of many shows feature these sorts of "departure from the norm" (since there was no norm at that point) and I actually like seeing them mix things up and experimenting to see what works.

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's the luxury of it being an early episode. We did not know the characters well enough to recognize how "out of character" Jan was behaving. Characters become more predictable and comforting over time. Early episodes of many shows feature these sorts of "departure from the norm" (since there was no norm at that point) and I actually like seeing them mix things up and experimenting to see what works.
It really made me not like Jan, I'll be honest. (In that episode anyway.)​

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm on another forum and there's a discussion there going about IT'S A LIVING with several members. One member mentioned how they were the biggest fan of season three -- the first season made for syndication. I'd agree with their assessment. That third season is probably my favorite as well.

Ann Jillian is still around as Cassie, this time receiving star billing; Barrie Youngfellow is there as dependable Jan; Gail Edwards as daffy Dot; Marian Mercer as bossy Nancy; and Paul Kreppel as the womanizing Sonny. We also get two new welcomed additions: Crystal Bernard comes in as fresh-off-the-bus Amy, a Texas native, and Richard Stahl is Howard, the new head chef.

IT'S A LIVING was at its peak that year, especially in my mind. All the cast members gelled perfectly and the show was in its element. I just wish Ann Jillian would've committed to staying the duration of the syndicated run, but she walked after one season. I stand by my belief that Ann Jillian should've never left IT'S A LIVING after season three. She WAS that show in my mind and it wasn't the same after she left. Sheryl Lee Ralph was good, but it just never had that same 'it' factor. Cassie was the Flo from ALICE for IT'S A LIVING, and the show never really had the same bite.​

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just found this relatively recent picture of Ann Jillian will browsing the web. She's still an attractive woman, but I wonder why she hasn't done any acting in over twenty years? IMDb lists her most recent credit as an episode of WALKER, TEXAS RANGER from 2000 called "Winds of Change" in which she played a senator named Angela Rhodes.​

1623775374336.png

Chris2

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think there are some people who have just had enough and want to do something else. I always think of Susan Saint James, who walked away from her acting career after three successful series, so she could raise her kids. Also, the industry isn’t as kind to older women, so I think they sometimes just walk away.