• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Jean Harlow: The Original Platinum Blonde

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was her most successful film too. I wonder what other films which were in the pipeline and what became of them.
That reminds me of Robert Williams, lead in Platinum Blonde with Jean Harlow. He died of peritonitis three days after the film was released.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Have you read the Samuel Marx - Joyce Vanderveen book?
I haven’t. I have seen it and skimmed it a little but never made an effort to actually sit down and read it yet. Is it a good book?

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
That reminds me of Robert Williams, lead in Platinum Blonde with Jean Harlow. He died of peritonitis three days after the film was released.
Were it not for Jean, I wouldn't have watched Platinum Blonde and therefore not witnessed Robert Williams' leading role, which I enjoyed immensely. I got to thinking why someone so outstanding in his role I hadn't heard of before. I got one heck of a shock when I found out. I love the scenes between he and Jean. Particularly the natural and charming scene you sent.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
did you know that Irvin Thalberg if he didn't think a movie was good he would order for it to be reshot, imagine how many versions were of this film or that film if he thought a movie was shit. those are all prolly lost now through fires and age or thrown away... man i wish we had all those

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
did you know that Irvin Thalberg if he didn't think a movie was good he would order for it to be reshot, imagine how many versions were of this film or that film if he thought a movie was shit. those are all prolly lost now through fires and age or thrown away... man i wish we had all those
So do I.

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
I’ve got a couple of biographies that have been heavily criticised for inaccurate content and trashing the subject.

I’d like to get the David Stenn one.
View attachment 29526View attachment 29527
I've just finished reading the David Stenn one: Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow. And enjoyed it immensely. Very frank and to the point. I recommend it.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i love books that have an actor or an actress's filmography there's one with Christopher lee that came out in i think (1983) it's if memory serves me right had comments from the man himself i wish i owned that book as it is Quite rare sadly i got it from The Library years ago and i wished i could have kept it but of course i had to take it back

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i love books that have an actor or an actress's filmography there's one with Christopher lee that came out in i think (1983) it's if memory serves me right had comments from the man himself i wish i owned that book as it is Quite rare sadly i got it from The Library years ago and i wished i could have kept it but of course i had to take it back
I remember this. It was called The Films of Christopher Lee. It’s an excellent read. You can get it on Amazon I’m sure.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It never ceases to amaze me how Harlow's looks changed over the course of her career. The first picture I have posted is from 1931, and the second is from 1936. Just five years difference, but what a transformation.

She was the "platinum blonde" that Howard Hughes publicized in the early-'30s, wasted and underused in a string of lackluster films outside of her star-making turn in HELL'S ANGELS (1930). She had a few outliers where she gave good performances, such as PLATINUM BLONDE (1931), but as a rule her career was underutilized during this time. Hughes made thousands while Harlow made her weekly by-the-contract salary.

When MGM decided to buy out Harlow's contract with Hughes in 1932, studio head L.B. Mayer insisted that her "floozy" image be cleaned up to make her more suitable to be on their roster. She played a sassed up version of the vamp in RED-HEADED WOMAN (1932) and HOLD YOUR MAN (1933), while her movies RED DUST (1932) and DINNER AT EIGHT (1933) at her Pre-Code finest.

Harlow (along with contemporaries Mae West and Marlene Dietrich) were fundamental in the enforcement of the Production Code. Harlow's Post-Code image had to be cleaned up even more to meet the guidelines set by the censors. Films like CHINA SEAS (1935) show a more watered down version of her Pre-Code sass, while movies such as RECKLESS (1935) tried their best to paint Harlow as a traditional romantic lead. By 1936, studio heads decided that more drastic measures were needed. Harlow's well-known platinum halo was dyed to a darker brownish blonde the publicity department called "brownette" in advertisements. Her later films like WIFE VS. SECRETARY (1936) and PERSONAL PROPERTY (1937) promoted her "nicer" personality to the public.

Jean Harlow's career is really the perfect example of someone coming full circle.​

1631977098880.png
1631977143114.png

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i could not find that on amazon a link? there was a really damn good one that came put apparently in (2017) but it as f.... $98.00!! no joke WTF ? i sure as hell ain't paying it for that unless Lee himself signed it and Lee by than had Passed away