Joan Collins & Cast Resentment

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When Dallas struck France in January 1981, all actors were unknown to the french audience.
Nobody had ever heard of Larry Hagman or BBG, let alone Linda or Charlene or Steve... Nobody had ever dreamt of "Jeannie" (french people were bewitched by Samantha) and Tennessee's Maggie version of Barbara on stage hardly crossed the Atlantic ocean... (Such a shame...)
Did a few fellows remember Victoria in "Earthquake" ...? Or Barbara in "Vertigo" ...? Or Jim starring in some B-movie western ? I certainly don't mean to be rude, but I strongly don't think so...
The only familiar face was the who-you-know "Man from Atlantis", which aired in France a few months before "Dallas".
However, "Dallas" was a hit at first sight. Thanxs to the actresses and actors, of course, but first, thanxs to the writing, the storylines...
A successful series is a good writing first. Period.

That's how I lived it in France too. Patrick Duffy was the only familiar face because I loved Man from Atlantis.
Dallas' writing was good. Very good.

colbyco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And she was brought in to Pacific Palisades by Aaron Spelling halfway through based on her Alexis role.

Aaron probably thinking well she was successful on Dynasty, she will help this show.

The ratings of PP didn't even get a boost at all with Joan.
- but PP was a bad show at all ... nothing was there that Collins could rescue ... maybe she could have rescued "Models Inc." (which was much better)
- but Linda Gray and Emma Samms couldn´t rescue it
first it´s mainly about the writing and timeslot and when it´s good the right actor can make a difference ...

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Does Joan Collins have a publicist? I think a half-decent publicist would discourage this kind of talk as it only makes Collins look bitter. John Forsythe is no longer with us so there is no point in pursing that fight. As for Thomson and Nader, I recall them both making comments along the lines of "that's just Joan being Joan" and laughing it off. The only other cast member from whom I ever detected any resentment was Pamela Bellwood who was less than pleased with the change in tone of the show (and probably being overshadowed).

Other than Jack Coleman and Ray Abruzzo who pop-up from time to time in guest roles, the rest of the cast doesn't seem to be very active. The last I read about Linda Evans was her work on behalf of a cancer charity. Catherine Oxenberg rescued her daughter from the NXIVM cult. Emma Samms is helping find lost pets, restoring an old house and basically being Snow White come to life. At 86 Collins should be thinking about her legacy. I've heard that she was nurturing of her younger co-stars: introducing them to the crew and "showing them the ropes", isn't that a better legacy to leave behind? Wouldn't she want to be remembered as an actress and fashion icon - a talented actress? If she keeps it up with the negative comments people are more likely to think she wasn't that talented as an actress, that her role on Dynasty was just "Joan being Joan".

Her publicist would be the one who encourages it. Gets her headlines and fits the image she wants to portray.

Not sure it's any worse than the reverse sickly sweet we all get along line.

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Titanic
- but PP was a bad show at all ... nothing was there that Collins could rescue ... maybe she could have rescued "Models Inc." (which was much better)
- but Linda Gray and Emma Samms couldn´t rescue it
first it´s mainly about the writing and timeslot and when it´s good the right actor can make a difference ...
And PP had Kimberley Davies, who wasn't really well known to American audiences. Spelling seemed to have cast her because of possible international sales given she was Annalise Hartman in Neighbours. (Erika Eleniak was originally to be cast as Laura Sinclair- unlike KD she was known to both US and international audiences)

It was embarrassing to Spelling and Kimberley's manager Scott Michaelson when PP flopped, given the latter had been trying to make her a big star.

And even worse for Kimberley and Scott after Pacific Palisades flopped, their Neighbours co-star Rachel Blakely managed to achieve some American success later on with The Lost World.

Last edited: