Jocks Will

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Did Wes ever mention Jock’s will at all? What a missed opportunity if he didn’t. He should’ve rattled off stuff word for word just like we heard it years earlier in that scene.

He doesn't mention the will but he does mention the crazy old coot in Landown although he says this was Lake Takapa (Takapa should've been an immediate red flag that this was indeed Jock) who shot him and when he was lying there thinking he was dying he told JR about Amanda his first wife and how he'd have to take care of her.

All the suggestions were there that this was indeed Jock but the Producers chickened out on following the storyline through. :)

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Jock was definitely wrong in setting up the contest, even if his goal was for the boys to learn how to work together in the end. Given all the fighting he had witnessed when he was alive he had to know what the contest would do to everyone in that year’s time. He would know that J.R. would do anything to win, and he also had to know that Bobby would fight fire with fire. If Jock didn’t think this contest didn’t have the ability to destroy the entire family, including his own widow, then he was being very shortsighted.

That being said, I wouldn’t change a thing about how it was written. It was the very best storyline of original Dallas and it was the best era of the show. I don’t think that season was ever topped.
I agree. I loved JR's gas station idea.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jock's will reflected who he was as a person - who he had always been.

Lucy got some cash - no stake in the business at all. Jock put ridiculous strings on Gary's inheritance. The contest for Ewing Oil was Jock's way of making sure Bobby and JR had to keep fighting for his respect and love even after his death. No one should have been surprised about any of it - especially Miss Ellie. The will was true to Jock's character.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jock's will reflected who he was as a person - who he had always been.

Lucy got some cash - no stake in the business at all. Jock put ridiculous strings on Gary's inheritance. The contest for Ewing Oil was Jock's way of making sure Bobby and JR had to keep fighting for his respect and love even after his death. No one should have been surprised about any of it - especially Miss Ellie. The will was true to Jock's character.

Jock didn't put any stipulations on Ray or Lucy's inheritance. It would have been very hard, but I'd probably refused that inheritance.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jock's last will and testament was a mighty document. Imho the wording was cleverly thought out and was fitting for the three years he physically featured. Now Jock was not to everyone's liking and I understand that. However he was a tough nosed businessman and his passing of the torch reflects that.

"I just don't know what I'm going to do, with those two boys."

Ellie; J.R., Bobby, Ray, Gary, Sue Ellen, Pamela, Donna and Lucy are all in the Southfork living room to hear attorney Harv Smithfield read Jock's last will and testament, inclusive of a codicil, (a scene from season 5; DVD-6, 1982-'83):

Harv: "I John Ross Ewing Sr., being of sound mind and body, do hereby add the following provisions to my last will and testament. It is no secret that the company I built; some call it an empire, is precious to me. Precious beyond anything in my life, save my dear wife Ellie and my sons. It is, however, that very preciousness that makes the choice of my successors an agonizing one. Gary and Ray; although your place in my heart is just as large and shines just as bright as the place set aside for your brothers, neither of you has shown any aptitude, or inclination for that matter, for business. Therefore, my choice of successor is narrowed to Bobby and J.R. Sons, this is addressed to you: It’s been my cherished hope that one day the two of you might run Ewing Oil as a team. That was my hope. Ewing Oil can only have one man at the helm, and that’s got to be the man that wants it the most.”

Ellie: "Oh, Jock. No!"

Harv: "Therefore; upon my death, I want an independent audit conducted of all the company’s holdings. I want everything divided upon paper so that J.R. and Bobby each have control over exactly 50 percent of the total assets. Punk Anderson; a fine oilman and an even finer friend, has agreed to act as administrator of my estate. After one year, Punk will conduct a second audit. Whichever son has managed to create the greatest gain for his half share of Ewing Oil will win 51 percent of the stock of the entire company and will be able to run it any way he sees fit. The loser in this contest will get 19 percent and the remaining 30 percent I want divided equally between Gary, Ray and Miss Ellie to make sure they’ll never be without a share of the profits of the company I created, which incidentally, must never be owned by anyone other than a Ewing. One final thing: In the unfortunate event that before this year is up, one son predeceases the other, the remaining son will automatically inherit his shares and he will take over the company."

Everyone in the living room is seemingly shocked, at what as just been announced.

J.R.: "Well, Bobby, to your good health and very long life."

The brothers raise their glasses, as they stand either side of Jock's now infamous portrait.

Fade to black; freeze frame, the closing credits and the theme tune plays out over the mansion.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always had to laugh a bit at how detailed the wills on this show are, with the principal characters very concerned with speaking to the family from beyond the grave. Was it really necessary for Jock to tell Gary and Ray they had no “aptitude” for the business? Or Bobby - in his 30s - had such a detailed will that he was leaving his horse to his brother. It’s almost as if they knew that they were going to kick the bucket and needed a super detailed will for plot purposes.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s almost as if they knew that they were going to kick the bucket and needed a super detailed will for plot purposes.

Indeed. Soap characters, and not just on Dallas, have an uncanny habit of changing their wills not long before their untimely deaths in ways that both reflect and influence current events. And they'll often throw in a codicil or two for good measure.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Indeed. Soap characters, and not just on Dallas, have an uncanny habit of changing their wills not long before their untimely deaths in ways that both reflect and influence current events. And they'll often throw in a codicil or two for good measure.
And of course the best part of the will with the most dramatic clause is always left for the end of the reading, like Jock making the contest, Pam gaining control of Christopher’s shares, etc. Perhaps Jock and Bobby should’ve been writing the show considering how well they could build up drama.