• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Kanye West to run for president?

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It appears Kanye is. As an American citizen he is entitled - as others are - to put his hat into the ring. Of course he should be put through the ringer by the media as to his credentials on how to turn the American economy around, climate change and how best to drive down the number of Covid-19 cases currently skyrocketing across the country.

Being the President of The United States is serious business and should be treated as such.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even more interesting than Kanye running for president is the reaction to the news by Biden supporters. Many of them are clutching their pearls over it.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Sweet baby Jesus. Although he would likely be an improvement on the current ‘president’.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Kanye supports Trump so it doesn't make sense that he would want to go up against the President. Many think this is just a plan hatched by the 2 of them attract the support of black voters away from Joe Biden to improve Trump's election chances. Smells of desperation in the Trump campaign if they think black Americans will vote for someone who believes African American slavery was a "choice".

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, calling slavery a choice is beyond the pale. It's a shame he didn't draft the 1994 crime bill and say African American voters "aren't black" if they don't vote for him instead.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I personally think it's a publicity stunt ahead of him dropping a new album.

If it does happen, we should be worried though. 4 years ago, the very thought of this would have been ridiculous. But we have already elected one buffoon reality TV show star with a wife who is famous for taking naked pictures. No reason to think we won't do it again.

On the other hand, it's not like we have anywhere to go but up.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, calling slavery a choice is beyond the pale. It's a shame he didn't draft the 1994 crime bill and say African American voters "aren't black" if they don't vote for him instead.

That was a huge gaffe for Biden. However, perhaps the way he should have put it is that any African American who votes for Trump is insane. And I would say the same thing about any woman at this point too.

We just had a whole weekend of Trump rolling up his despicable racism in the American flag and passing it off as patriotism.

Fine I guess if African Americans don't want to vote for Biden (given his own questionable history with race relations) but a vote for Trump is cray-cray.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, Kanye just says stuff to get a reaction -- whether it's supporting Trump or grabbing Taylor's Grammy.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That was a huge gaffe for Biden. However, perhaps the way he should have put it is that any African American who votes for Trump is insane. And I would say the same thing about any woman at this point too.

We just had a whole weekend of Trump rolling up his despicable racism in the American flag and passing it off as patriotism.

Fine I guess if African Americans don't want to vote for Biden (given his own questionable history with race relations) but a vote for Trump is cray-cray.

Just my opinion.
I agree completely, but it's also what makes third party candidates look more appealing. Not that I would ever vote for a narcissist like Kanye, but there are other options out there.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Black voters are smart and they will see the bigger picture and not judge Biden on one gaff. Although many won't agree with his exact comments, they will have sympathy for the general point he was making which is that a black person voting for Trump is like a turkey voting for Thanksgiving.

I saw a poll recently which showed black voters favour Biden over Trump by an overwhelming margin (89% to 7%) so that comment hasn't done him any damage.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Biden's "you ain't black" comment speaks to the entitlement the Democrats feel towards the black vote. Instead of working to earn it, Biden believes it's his for the taking.

People are right not to take Kanye's presidential bid seriously. However, there's a condescending attitude towards anybody who challenges Biden for the coveted black vote.

Of course, the smart thing for black voters would have been not to back Biden in the primaries. Either they didn't pay attention to Biden's record or they were too quick to forgive it.

Here's a link to an article detailing Biden's racist past, and it's just as sketchy as Trump's IMO. Read and you'll see it's much more than just "one gaffe":

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/201...ustice-democratic-primary-2020-explained.html

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Biden's "you ain't black" comment speaks to the entitlement the Democrats feel towards the black vote. Instead of working to earn it, Biden believes it's his for the taking.

People are right not to take Kanye's presidential bid seriously. However, there's a condescending attitude towards anybody who challenges Biden for the coveted black vote.

Of course, the smart thing for black voters would have been not to back Biden in the primaries. Either they didn't pay attention to Biden's record or they were too quick to forgive it.

Here's a link to an article detailing Biden's racist past, and it's just as sketchy as Trump's IMO:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/201...ustice-democratic-primary-2020-explained.html
A lot of Bernie supporters didn't do their candidate any favours, especially the "Bernie or Bust" ones. After Biden won South Carolina with 64% of the black vote compared with 14% that supported Sanders, some tried to dismiss Biden’s success as being the result of ill-informed black voters blindly voting for a familiar name. That was not how to win black support in the subsequent primaries.

Biden presented himself as the strongest option to beat Trump and that appealed to many black voters, even though they see his record on racial issues as being flawed because Trump by far was the bigger evil.

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A lot of Bernie supporters didn't do their candidate any favours, especially the "Bernie or Bust" ones. After Biden won South Carolina with 64% of the black vote compared with 14% that supported Sanders, some tried to dismiss Biden’s success as being the result of ill-informed black voters blindly voting for a familiar name. That was not how to win black support in the subsequent primaries.
Facts are facts. Any black person (or poor white person) who believes Biden has their best interest at heart more than Sanders is ill-informed. Their records speak for themselves.

Jim Clyburn's endorsement of Biden in South Carolina also helped secure his victory there, so it's not just the white neoliberals and neocons who do a disservice to the black community.

Biden presented himself as the strongest option to beat Trump and that appealed to many black voters, even though they see his record on racial issues as being flawed because Trump by far was the bigger evil.
That's what the propagandists in the mainstream media wanted voters to believe because they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

And is Trump really the bigger evil "by far" when Biden himself is a racist, a war monger, and crafted the crime bill that has contributed to mass incarceration of black people? He even supported legislation that would have protected the police from misconduct investigations. He also wants to gut the social safety nets like Trump. The only reason Biden's doing as well as he is right now is because Trump's response to the pandemic and the protests has been abysmal. However, there's a reason why they're keeping Biden hidden. His wife Jill speaks for him quite often too. The few times Biden speaks, he's just a babbling mess. He said nothing would fundamentally change under his presidency, so it's a joke that people view him as a savior.

I understand he hasn't filed in any state and some of the deadlines have already passed. Does he even know how to run for president?
Nah, he's just a narcissist clown like his pal Trump. The fact that Biden supporters have their panties in a bunch over the mere possibility tells me they realize their candidate is a liability.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
And is Trump really the bigger evil "by far" when Biden himself is a racist, a war monger, and crafted the crime bill that has contributed to mass incarceration of black people? He even supported legislation that would have protected the police from misconduct investigations. He also wants to gut the social safety nets like Trump. The only reason Biden's doing as well as he is right now is because Trump's response to the pandemic and the protests has been abysmal. However, there's a reason why they're keeping Biden hidden. His wife Jill speaks for him quite often too. The few times Biden speaks, he's just a babbling mess. He said nothing would fundamentally change under his presidency, so it's a joke that people view him as a savior.

Nah, he's just a narcissist clown like his pal Trump. The fact that Biden supporters have their panties in a bunch over the mere possibility tells me they realize their candidate is a liability.
Yes, Trump is the bigger evil.

There is a straight choice in November because realistically only one of 2 candidates can win: Biden or Trump. Some people who claim to be liberal want Trump to win because (1) they want to be able to say "I told you so, Biden could never win" or (2) they think a Biden victory will make it more difficult for a candidate on the left of the Democratic Party (which is still quite right wing by UK standards) to come through in 2024. I find this attitude to be extraordinarily short-sighted because it effectively sacrifices the rights and services of some of the most vulnerable people in America and the wider world to Trump who is determined to roll back any of the gains achieved by progressive politics in recent years.

When Trump abolishes access to healthcare for many people, those that die as a result will not be able to wait 4 years for a more progressive President to implement fairer healthcare provision. When Trump refuses to take action against climate change and extreme weather conditions ravage the planet those that die will not be interested in "I told you so". When children are separated from their families and left alone because of Trump's harsh immigration policies they won't be thinking it's great that Biden was stopped. When public services are cut to fund tax cuts for the rich those left in poverty will not be thinking it would have been worse under Biden. When there is another mass shooting that kills many innocent Americans their families won't be thinking it was great that their President doesn't support stronger gun controls.

People who want Biden to lose are effectively saying they want Trump to be President and when people suffer as a result, those that wanted Biden to lose will have to own that.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, Trump is the bigger evil.

There is a straight choice in November because realistically only one of 2 candidates can win: Biden or Trump. Some people who claim to be liberal want Trump to win because (1) they want to be able to say "I told you so, Biden could never win" or (2) they think a Biden victory will make it more difficult for a candidate on the left of the Democratic Party (which is still quite right wing by UK standards) to come through in 2024. I find this attitude to be extraordinarily short-sighted because it effectively sacrifices the rights and services of some of the most vulnerable people in America and the wider world to Trump who is determined to roll back any of the gains achieved by progressive politics in recent years.
And Biden will restore those rights and services? The same guy who said he wanted to cut every social program in the government, supported the Iraq War and the Patriot Act, crafted the 1994 crime bill, worked with segregationists, argued that integration was racist, and has vowed to veto Medicare for all during a pandemic? He's also shown contempt towards members of the public who have criticized his policies, and he's even told them to vote for Trump. Combine all of that with Biden's own statement that "nothing will fundamentally change," and it becomes quite clear that Biden's just as evil as Trump at a bare minimum. The people who didn't do their due diligence during the primaries effectively screwed over those of us who did.

And for the record, this isn't coming from a place of privilege. I happen to be one of those vulnerable people, but I'm not fooling myself into believing Biden will improve anything.
When Trump abolishes access to healthcare for many people, those that die as a result will not be able to wait 4 years for a more progressive President to implement fairer healthcare provision.
Tell that to the 29 million people left uninsured under Obamacare and the millions more who can't afford their premiums. Biden's loyalty is to big pharma, not the people.

The fact that millions more became uninsured under Trump is obviously a travesty, but I'm not going to pretend that millions weren't already suffering and dying under Obamacare.

When Trump refuses to take action against climate change and extreme weather conditions ravage the planet those that die will not be interested in "I told you so". When children are separated from their families and left alone because of Trump's harsh immigration policies they won't be thinking it's great that Biden was stopped. When public services are cut to fund tax cuts for the rich those left in poverty will not be thinking it would have been worse under Biden. When there is another mass shooting that kills many innocent Americans their families won't be thinking it was great that their President doesn't support stronger gun controls.
Climate change is one of the few issues where Biden is minimally better than Trump, but of course his plan still protects the fossil fuel industry and doesn't include a ban on fracking.

There's also a video of Biden saying he wanted to cut social programs, and when an activist asked him about the deportations that took place during the Obama Administration, Biden told him to vote for Trump. Mass shootings were happening during the Obama Administration, and didn't end there. The whole "2nd amendment rights" is just too ingrained in both parties.

This isn't about saying "I told you so," it's about empirical facts that don't support Biden being a champion of people. When Biden says "nothing will fundamentally change," I believe him.

People who want Biden to lose are effectively saying they want Trump to be President and when people suffer as a result, those that wanted Biden to lose will have to own that.
If Biden wins the general election and continues to support policies that cause minorities and poor folks to suffer, while the corporations and the military industrial complex thrive, the people who supported him in the primaries will have to own that. It's amazing how Democrats can recognize how thoroughly evil Trump is, and yet they think Biden is merely "flawed."

By voting for the Green Party, I can at least vote for a platform I believe in. A vote for Biden is a vote for the conditions that gave us Trump as far as I'm concerned. Incrementalism is killing us. Martin Luther King Jr. warned us about the moderates when he said they care more about order than justice. He also talked about how they express their support for a particular goal, while also opposing direct action to achieve it. We see that happening today. Many Democrats have expressed their support for single payer, criminal justice reform, immigration reform, and the Green New Deal, yet they're never willing to take the necessary action to achieve them. Of course, it's because the people pulling their strings won't let them.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
And Biden will restore those rights and services? The same guy who said he wanted to cut every social program in the government, supported the Iraq War and the Patriot Act, crafted the 1994 crime bill, worked with segregationists, argued that integration was racist, and has vowed to veto Medicare for all during a pandemic? He's also shown contempt towards members of the public who have criticized his policies, and he's even told them to vote for Trump. Combine all of that with Biden's own statement that "nothing will fundamentally change," and it becomes quite clear that Biden's just as evil as Trump at a bare minimum. The people who didn't do their due diligence during the primaries effectively screwed over those of us who did.

And for the record, this isn't coming from a place of privilege. I happen to be one of those vulnerable people, but I'm not fooling myself into believing Biden will improve anything.

Tell that to the 29 million people left uninsured under Obamacare and the millions more who can't afford their premiums. Biden's loyalty is to big pharma, not the people.

The fact that millions more became uninsured under Trump is obviously a travesty, but I'm not going to pretend that millions weren't already suffering and dying under Obamacare.

Climate change is one of the few issues where Biden is minimally better than Trump, but of course his plan still protects the fossil fuel industry and doesn't include a ban on fracking.

There's also a video of Biden saying he wanted to cut social programs, and when an activist asked him about the deportations that took place during the Obama Administration, Biden told him to vote for Trump. Mass shootings were happening during the Obama Administration, and didn't end there. The whole "2nd amendment rights" is just too ingrained in both parties.

This isn't about saying "I told you so," it's about empirical facts that don't support Biden being a champion of people. When Biden says "nothing will fundamentally change," I believe him.

If Biden wins the general election and continues to support policies that cause minorities and poor folks to suffer, while the corporations and the military industrial complex thrive, the people who supported him in the primaries will have to own that. It's amazing how Democrats can recognize how thoroughly evil Trump is, and yet they think Biden is merely "flawed."

By voting for the Green Party, I can at least vote for a platform I believe in. A vote for Biden is a vote for the conditions that gave us Trump as far as I'm concerned. Incrementalism is killing us. Martin Luther King Jr. warned us about the moderates when he said they care more about order than justice. He also talked about how they express their support for a particular goal, while also opposing direct action to achieve it. We see that happening today. Many Democrats have expressed their support for single payer, criminal justice reform, immigration reform, and the Green New Deal, yet they're never willing to take the necessary action to achieve them. Of course, it's because the people pulling their strings won't let them.
The choice that American has isn't between an ideal candidate and Trump it's between Biden and Trump. If you don't support the only realistic alternative to Trump you might as well vote for him.

We had a similar situation in the UK. Many supporters of the Labour Party thought its leader Jeremy Corbyn was too left wing and on that basis refused to support him. The result is that we now have a racist, lying, incompetent clown as our Prime Minister and his actions are literally killing people. The people who didn't vote for Corbyn have to accept their part in creating the disaster that is unfolding here every day. I don't want to hear them say "if only Labour had a different leader I would have voted for them" because we have to live in the real world not an ideal world and whatever they think, by not supporting Corbyn, they enabled Johnson to remain as Prime Minister so they have to own the sh*tshow we are currently witnessing.

To take just your comment on healthcare. You are effectively saying because Obamacare didn't cover enough people everyone shouldn't vote for Biden and enable Trump to remain as President to implement policies which will mean even fewer people will be covered. It's not a sensible position to hold. Learn the lessons of the UK.

Last edited: