LV

Reaction score
Awards

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It just couldn't be dubbed like that. It wouldn't work.
Soaps were *completely* dubbed in some European countries.
Many people want to see it very, very bad I'm sure they don't mind a different song even if it weakens the effect of the scene somewhat.

Maybe Knots should be acknowledged as an important part of American cultural heritage (it really is that good!) which means it can't be corporate property anymore.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
January 6th: The Musical...on Ice!
I wonder if a part of the hold-up might be due to the timing of the video revolution. When KL started, networks had NO concept of home video or syndicating shows like Knots. Daytime was still erasing their master tapes and re-using them because no one believed anyone would want to re-watch those shows! In the mid-1980s Warner Bros. started syndicating the reruns, but the stars were not making money off that system, historically. It wasn't until the late-1980s that the stars realized there was money to be made off their image in those reruns when they ended up on home video or otherwise "sold"--and instructed their agents to negotiate residuals off those reruns and VHS tapes. By the time KL ended, the stars were likely VERY aware of how they could have been cashing in all those years and weren't. So in an effort to get some added benefit ($$$) retroactively, some of them might have played hardball with any syndicators or DVD manufacturers out to get their approval for KL projects involving the reruns on DVD all those years later. If they had known all these "alternate revenue streams" were going to become available when they started in 1979, they would have made sure to have residuals written into their contracts, but all this VHS/DVD stuff happened half-way through the run and might have been more difficult to add into their contracts because it was all such a new concept in that time period.

Every time I read about Warner Brothers/WB/whatever they're calling themselves changes hands in an acquisition or merger, I get my hopes up that the new owner will attempt to further monetize their library of shows--especially Knots. I don't get my heart set on DVD's though, given how everyone and their mother is starting their own streaming service these days and they all need content. As subscribers realize that many of the streamers are carrying similar, if not the same shows, the ones who survive will be those who can continue to dig up and air shows that have not already been rerun to death in the past ten years or become "outdated".

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dub it with something else?

I find it kind of hard to believe that the Ciji story stopped a whole series coming out. It seems really odd.

I wonder if it's connected to general rights issues with David Jacobs. Maybe broadcast rights are owned by Warner Brothers but streaming rights need a new negotiation.

Or they have completely forgotten about it.

It missed out on a DVD release, its not even on Amazon Prime. Seems a bit strange. Even old episodes of Home and Away are on Amazon. Although I don't think Falcon Crest is streamed anywhere either.

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They could easily release Season 3. I don' recall and music/copyright issues that year. But having just re-watched Season 6, I was surprised just how much Lisa Hartman sings throughout the whole season. Not just little bits but whole songs and loads of other people's hits. Some of these could be cut but others are vital to Val's babies plot, particularly the night she loses the twins, was it 'Hole in my Heart'?

I've suggested before perhaps we could try crowdfunding where fans offer to pay extra for the copyright, and maybe send Lisa Hartman some nice flowers...

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i haven't seen that much of the show but i've never really understood at all why it's not all on dvd at all? i mean i get the early seasons didn't sell as well because well the seasons when the show took off hasn't come out on dvd yet we all know once those come out they will no doubt be selling them like hotcakes to use an old term

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They could easily release Season 3. I don' recall and music/copyright issues that year. But having just re-watched Season 6, I was surprised just how much Lisa Hartman sings throughout the whole season. Not just little bits but whole songs and loads of other people's hits. Some of these could be cut but others are vital to Val's babies plot, particularly the night she loses the twins, was it 'Hole in my Heart'?

I've suggested before perhaps we could try crowdfunding where fans offer to pay extra for the copyright, and maybe send Lisa Hartman some nice flowers...

I really don't believe this is the issue or only issue , it's Lisa Hartnan, not Beyonce (no offence to Lisa). They have managed to work out rights for shows going back years before VHS, DVDs or streaming, I can't believe Knots is the only show where someone sings.

It's like Knots Landing never existed, maybe we imagined it. :)

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It has to be due to music copyright issues. When the producers of a TV show purchase the rights to use a song or a recording they have the option of having the rights for a fixed term (typically five years) or in perpetuity. The more popular the song/recording the higher the cost. Prior to streaming, DVD and Blu Ray TV producers almost never purchased rights in perpetuity. Now that older shows are streaming or being released on DVD and Blu Ray the company that owns the rights to the series has the option of paying for the use of the music, replacing the music or a combination of the two.

The DVD releases of China Beach and The Wonder Years were delayed for many years due to music copyright issues. When WKRP In Cincinnati was first released on DVD fans complained about edited scenes and substituted music. Shout Factory later obtained the rights to WKRP and they were able to restore most, but not all, of the original music. The DVDs of China Beach and The Wonder Years were released by Star Vista/Time-Life; Shout Factory is owned by the same parent company as Rhino Records. Both Time-Life and Rhino Records are in the business of licensing and re-releasing older music so they are better suited to dealing with music copyright issues than some of the other companies who re-release older TV series.

The issue affecting Knots Landing isn't the performer as much as the songwriters; a lot of the songs Lisa Hartman performed were Top 40 hits making them more expensive. Replacing these songs isn't feasible because the songs are performed on camera rather than played over a scene. Unless a company like Time-Life or Shout Factory decides there is enough demand for a re-release I doubt we will see Knots Landing on a streaming service or physical media anytime soon.

Here's a scene from season four where a song (originally performed by Kim Lankford) has been replaced:

Last edited:

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe music is it.... probably just miserable cheapskates since S1 and S2 didnt sell as well as expected. But nowz with the fanbase starving for it, release it in a box set. Falcon Crest too....

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
really don't believe this is the issue or only issue , it's Lisa Hartnan, not Beyonce (no offence to Lisa). They have managed to work out rights for shows going back years before VHS, DVDs or streaming, I can't believe Knots is the only show where someone sings.
It doesn't really have anything to do with Lisa Hartman, it's not like she wrote the songs. She only performs them, covers, so she wouldn't really gain from it. It's all the songwriters and producers that need paid for the songs that were used. Knots more than most shows has a lot of popular hit songs used. Mostly during the Ciji stuff but it all throughout the show.
I wonder if it's connected to general rights issues with David Jacobs. Maybe broadcast rights are owned by Warner Brothers but streaming rights need a new negotiation.

Or they have completely forgotten about it.

It missed out on a DVD release, its not even on Amazon Prime. Seems a bit strange. Even old episodes of Home and Away are on Amazon. Although I don't think Falcon Crest is streamed anywhere either.
The first two seasons were released on DVD. I remember years back someone posting on the old forum that WB may have been less than thrilled with the probably low sales for those first two seasons. They probably expected it to sell like Dallas or Dynasty was selling at the time. The first two seasons wouldn't have sold like that. They even stopped releasing Falcon Crest after season 3, I think season 4 was DVD on demand. And I think they even restored all of Falcon Crest? Though I may be wrong. Yet they gave up on releasing it.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It doesn't really have anything to do with Lisa Hartman, it's not like she wrote the songs. She only performs them, covers, so she wouldn't really gain from it. It's all the songwriters and producers that need paid for the songs that were used. Knots more than most shows has a lot of popular hit songs used. Mostly during the Ciji stuff but it all throughout the show.

The first two seasons were released on DVD. I remember years back someone posting on the old forum that WB may have been less than thrilled with the probably low sales for those first two seasons. They probably expected it to sell like Dallas or Dynasty was selling at the time. The first two seasons wouldn't have sold like that. They even stopped releasing Falcon Crest after season 3, I think season 4 was DVD on demand. And I think they even restored all of Falcon Crest? Though I may be wrong. Yet they gave up on releasing it.

I'm not bothered about DVD's now as I ditched my player yonks ago and spend my viewing watching streaming services.

It's a shame these shows will just die away never to be seen again.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I don't remember Dynasty playing any actual songs, no vocal versions at least. They always did knock off instrumentals.
What about "Danger Zone" near the end of season 7, when Alexis was out with Gavin Maurier eating hot dogs and dancing in a club?;)

Last edited:

GillesDenver

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards

But Dominique's songs were quite famous too ("Come Rain or Come Shine" for instance).
I think the main problem is that Warner Brothers is just not interested on having the show on DVD.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, I think that John Waite sang his own songs.
Oh yes, you're right. Apart from him.

Dominique's songs were quite famous too ("Come Rain or Come Shine" for instance).
Oh yes, you're right again. Mind you, Dominque's songs were all quite old, weren't they? I think music goes out of copyright after a certain amount of decades. Or it used to. Paul McCartney and Cliff Richard managed to get the law changed when it was about to be their turn. But that was just in the UK.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
What about "Danger Zone" near the end of season 7, when Alexis was out with Gavin Maurier eating hot dogs and dancing in a club?;)
I think that must be the only one. Is it the actual song? Or a cover?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
But Dominique's songs were quite famous too ("Come Rain or Come Shine" for instance).
I think the main problem is that Warner Brothers is just not interested on having the show on DVD.
Did Dominique do any contemporary (for the time) music though? Weren't the all old standards?

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I think that must be the only one. Is it the actual song? Or a cover?
I just know it from the "Top Gun" soundtrack, that 80s movie with Tom Cruise as a pilot. It's the same song, unless they used a cover version on the movie as well.