• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Law & Order

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i'm talking about any of them really, why make a thread for each show when there are just so many spin-off ?

anyways i've started watching SVU again after not watching it in years. it's as we all know on season 20 now and has recently beat Gunsmoke of all things by seasons. that was on 20 years/seasons too. now episode count they still are king with 635 episodes, not counting The Simpsons which has more than that now and is well a cartoon as we all know.

my folks recently started watching the repeats and i was looking up when i stopped watching it and it was season 12 when Stabler Left the show. i didn't stop watching cause he left the show i stopped watching cause it was on the same time another show i love was on i think it was Criminal Minds. and i just plump lost track of what the hell was going on in the show.

but i own seasons 1 and 2 on dvd and i've been watching that and i'm only on i think episode #8 called Stalked' on SVU. and i've also been watching season 1 of Criminal intent as i only own seasons 1 and 2 of that show as well. i'm on i think the same number for that one as well episode #8 i think.

any fans? i do own seasons 1-6 of the mothership on dvd. and of course i have the set for Trial By Jury as well.

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I did go through a phase of watching SVU a few years ago, I followed a "watch it or skip it" episode guide online to get to the best episodes and there are some really, really good episodes along the way, most of them come when the show is allowed to break away from its usual format.

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I followed a "watch it or skip it" episode guide online

I challenged myself to watch all shows, starting with HOMICIDE and through to the latest SVU episodes. With that many episodes across all the franchise, I too chose to skip some of the episodes. I would start each episode to see if there was any continuation and then decide on whether I wanted to watch that episode based on the crime that was committed. I didn't skip any episodes of HOMICIDE (because that was fun to watch) or the CRIMINAL INTENT series. Every one of them had outstanding stories with some fantastic character building, but there were some that just didn't interest me. SVU had the most horrific style stories, some that would linger with me for hours afterwards.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
the thing with skipping some episodes is that you can miss out on some gems. there are certain episodes i really think are truly awful for CSI the mothership i can think of one from season 1 and another from i think season 5. but when i watch those seasons i watch them all in order i just don't pay attention to them when they are on though.

as for Doctor who when i watch those in order for the ones i really hate i just put on the audio commentary for those episodes. but if you've never seen a show you can't know which ones are good or bad unless you watch those. none of the lists out there are 100% correct on the best episodes or the worst ones that is someone else's opinion. when i see certain episodes for the original twilight zones do best and worst lists i disagree with the lists cause they have some of the best episodes on the worst lists some of the worst ones on the best lists.

for example the invaders i think it's called with Agnes Moorehead from season i want to say 1 or season 2 i forget which is a boring ass episode of the twilight zone yet people seem to love it. it has this following so does the episode the good life which isn't one of my favorites at all it has some nice ideas but it just isn't one of my favorites and i don't think it should be on the best of lists.

i don't know Law & order well know well any of them to remember which ones are the best and the worst episodes to be fair. but there is no doubt that you missed out on a lot of good ones cause you went by one of those pointless and often wrong lists.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i'm watching a Criminal Intent Episode from season 1 called The Third Horseman though i dunno why they didn't just say the 4th horseman cause that one is death, the 3rd is Famine.

and it's about a douchebag who goes around killing abortion doctors and he's doing it for god. ya know i know it's only fiction but sadly shit like this happens in real life too. one tends to wonder if it has ever occured to those type of people that killing someone is wrong, there can be exceptions of course, self defense or if you are defending your country. and i'm not saying at all that all religious are like this cause they are not thankfully. it just makes one thing why people do the things they do at times that's all i'm saying

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well i have since finished with season one of both Criminal Intent and season 1 of SVU as well. now i'm on season 2 for Both. i'm already half way done with season 2 in fact and it's episode #34 i believe i'm now on. season 6 came into the mail today in fact! now season 4 needs to come too, regardless i'm still on season 2 anyways i had ordered seasons 3-6 off amazon recently. in all that's #139 episodes not bad eh? to start out with anyways i'm only on episode i think #27 maybe? for Criminal Intent i think? i would have ordered season 3 for that show but it just cost to damn much.

than season 6 of SVU get this has an extra with i forget which cast members but they are on Seasame Street. or however that's spelled? Richard Belzer is one of them that's on it and it's about trying to find the letter M! he he but seriously when a show is about sex crimes a lot of the time but not always, they put them on a show for kids to watch? WTF?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, they really are perfect fodder when you don't have anything better to watch, which is the point of procedurals in general I guess. It's far from appointment tv though.

With that said, I love SVU's "Olivia is in danger" episodes they pull out when they feel like they need a ratings spike. Who knew Jayne Mansfields daughter would become one of the highest paid actresses on television?

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i know and a hell of a LOT better of an actress than her mother ever was. i haven't watched any SVU as of late though. i think i got burned out by it after watching 2 and a half seasons of it.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
As for Special Victims Unit, I wonder if the show has actually made a difference when it comes to rape and abuse or if this is just something the show's producers like to tell people and SVU is nothing more than a TV show.

The only L&O spin-offs I haven't seen yet are True Crime and Organized Crime, but I would like to if the opportunity presents itself. Of the international versions, I watched UK and Paris enquêtes criminelles.

My favorite L&O show is SVU, followed by the original and Criminal Intent.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As for Special Victims Unit, I wonder if the show has actually made a difference when it comes to rape and abuse or if this is just something the show's producers like to tell people and SVU is nothing more than a TV show.
I guess it depends. I'm sure they get a lot of people who've dealt with sexual abuse and the like to reach out to them, so it's probably affected a lot of people on a personal level. I don't doubt that there's people who never put the pieces together that they were being abused, or someone else they knew was, and SVU might've ended up giving them that context to put it all together.

On a policy level? Probably not. I don't remember specific instances where any politician has referred to them, but I don't keep track of those things. It's probably influenced some to go into the work though, especially young women.

But overall SVU is really the little show that could. It actually didn't start off rating that well and spent some years borderline on the bubble, only to eventually become one of the top-rated shows on television.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i think it has my guess helped a lot of people SVU i mean that makes me think of Grey's Anatomy some years back before Covid hit i dunno the year there was a 12 year old girl who watched it weekly with her mom even though that's a show i would not let any 12 year old kid to watch if it was mine but having said that this kid's mom was having trouble breathing and she remembered how Grey's did CPR and she saved her mom's life because of it. well SVU maybe has that type of power?

i have since bought big ass box of the mothership seasons 1-20 on dvd. my question is when the hell is seasons 21-23 coming on dvd? or is this season 22? i forget which seasons we are currently on.