Mary Tyler Moore Show and Its Spin-Offs

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've said all that to say this: I was wrong about MARY TYLER MOORE and the long-held distain I had for a show I had never before seen.
I remember seeing reruns of it in the 80s and I just couldn’t grasp it. I couldn’t see the big deal over this show. It wasn’t until the mid 90s that I started watching it again and finally started to enjoy it. So maybe it’s a show that grows on you over time. At least that’s how it was for me.

Caproni

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fans online are roaring about Betty White's delicious portrayal of man-hungry Sue Ann Nivens on MARY TYLER MOORE ever since the star's death some three weeks ago. One fan online said that while people were heavily promoting Rose Nylund as Betty's crowning achievement, it was Sue Ann that provided Betty's best work.

In my view, it solely depends on how you look at it all. Despite some initial misgivings, I can honestly say now that MARY TYLER MOORE was a better-written sitcom with stronger, more in-depth characters. That, in turn, makes Sue Ann a stronger, more rounded and consistent character as a whole. I'd say the writing on MARY TYLER MOORE was also more "sophisticated" overall. On the other hand, I'd argue that THE GOLDEN GIRLS was funnier, sharper, and definitely more of a pop culture staple. On this end, that would make Rose a more influential character to modern audiences. THE GOLDEN GIRLS is consistently in reruns, and collectibles clutter a variety of trendy stores.

MARY TYLER MOORE and GOLDEN GIRLS are two funny, accomplished shows, and Betty was always appreciative for having been apart of both. And it's rewarding to know that she received Emmys for her performances on both shows. Whichever show you find the funniest will depend solely on one's personal tastes, and that personal taste will likely decide whether you find Betty's work as Sue Ann or Rose her greatest career highlight.
1642773285978.png
1642773353507.png

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Hmmm
I remember reading that in preproduction, Mary was intended to be a divorcee, but the powers that be nixed it,
they said viewers would think that she divorced Dick Van Dyke!
Jack Cassidy and Lyle Waggoner were originally considered for Ted Baxter.
I'm glad Ted Knight was cast - I think he was the funniest character, and Ted Knight is a brilliant actor.
I liked Valerie Harper as Rhoda on MTM, not so much on her own shows (both Rhoda and the Hogans)
Nancy Walker is a skilled actress, but I found her character annoying.
Same with Cloris Leachman, never cared for Phyllis.
"Lou Grant' was a good show, even though I don't care for AE's politics.
"Too Close For Comfort" was an entertaining sitcom, again Ted Knight is so talented (I know it's not a spinoff)
All in all, the MTM show was great TV

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can honestly say now that MARY TYLER MOORE was a better-written sitcom with stronger, more in-depth characters. That, in turn, makes Sue Ann a stronger, more rounded and consistent character as a whole.
I think that's true. There's also the issue of likeability. Some may simply feel that the daffy, loveable Rose was easier to play.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yep (and David Lloyd’s son, Christopher, was the showrunner on Frasier during its peak years).

I believe there was a time after the glory days of MTM studios where a bunch of the creative staff migrated to Paramount: Glen and Les Charles, James L Brooks, and Gary David Goldberg.

And James Burrows, IIRC (the Burrows in Charles-Burrows-Charles of Cheers fame, that outfit being IAW Paramount Television there).

End credits from third-season Cheers episode showing as much:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think that's true. There's also the issue of likeability. Some may simply feel that the daffy, loveable Rose was easier to play.
I’m not so sure if Rose was the easier character to play to be honest, but to me she was definitely the more likable one. Sue Ann was great but I prefer Rose personally.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Man In the Ironic Mask
Which reminds me of some Golden Girls dialogue where Rose was upset that one of her co-workers did not like her. She could not fathom why this person didn't like her.
Rose: "Dorothy--you're the smart one. Blanche--you're the sexy one. Sophia--you're the old one. And I'm the likeable one."
Sophia [sarcastic]: "The old one isn't liking you right now."