• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Melrose Place Melrose Place Season 5.

ABrown

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For anyone that's interested, there's a Melrose Place cast reunion happening tomorrow here: https://www.starsinthehouse.com/schedule

So getting to see the cast was wonderful. That being said, this was an absolutely HORRIBLE production. The two hosts were unbearable. They were completely unprepared, and I found them incredibly annoying. Plus, they stopped the whole interview right in the middle to bring in some doctor, and talk about the Corona virus. If you're going to do that, do it either at the beginning of the show or at the end. But it was really rude to just stop the interview right in the middle for it.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
These two "unbearable" hosts are the ones who had the idea for the "HORRIBLE production", and who had brought the casts of many TV series together. Most of the actors know the duo personally from their theatre work. They don't cut it because it's live streamed. They are obviously no technical experts and they have to consider license rights for the TV clips because it's a no-budget event that helps to donate money (consider this in contrast to the lavish expensive gala charity shows where people get paid etc.) And they push sometimes the wrong button and the wrong clip is shown. A real doctor talks about Covid-19 because that's the point: entertain and inform! So what? Anyone who participates there knows how it's done. It was good to see that Heather Locklear is well - and Andrew Shue still looks hot! Never seen Grant Show with a moustache before though... :cool:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Damn... Is Swingtown any good? I feel like I need to see more of this Grant Show.

I'd say it's OK. I watched it some years ago and quite enjoyed it at the time, even though I can't remember much about it now. The period setting and the swinging concept made it feel a bit different. And Miles from This Life is in it, which is no bad thing.

If you do dive in, just be warned that it was cancelled very suddenly and so doesn't have a decent ending, which is a shame.

Adamski

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I've just caught up on the reunion, and the cast all seem like such genuine, lovely people with a great camaraderie between them. It was wonderful to see how pleased they all were to see Heather Locklear.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
For anyone that's interested, there's a Melrose Place cast reunion happening tomorrow here

I finally got around to watching the reunion this week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'd agree that it's nice to see Heather looking well.

Marcia Cross came over very natural and sweet. It's good to see her talking so joyously about Melrose. I may be misremembering, but I seem to recall she was reluctant to talk about Kimmy during her Desperate Housewives days.

Grant Show's smile still melts me. He looked very serious and I thought a little detached for much of the group chat, and I thought he seemed to get a bit sidelined after a certain point.

During these appearances, I'm still fascinated by the Grant/Laura/Doug "triangle". I know that Grant dated Laura for a good while in their Melrose days, and then she and Doug got together later on. Have they ever spoken about this? I can't help wondering if there was any fallout over it.

The two hosts were unbearable. They were completely unprepared, and I found them incredibly annoying.

The only other Stars In The House I've watched so far is the Desperate Housewives one. I thought they seemed less "in your face" there.

Seth has a bit of a class clown thing going on which isn't my cup of tea. Streams of one-liners tend to fatigue me fairly quickly.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Most of the cast was very much don't wanna talk about it for the longest while except Heather, Courtney and Andrew. I think they saw talking positively about the show as a hinder in their career - Marcia certainly softened up, as did Laura, Doug and Grant! I'm always happy to see them talking about Melrose now. Grant dropped a Melrose reference in the last Dynasty chat that Jake was a good guy trying to be bad, while Blake is a bad guy trying to be good and that Blake and Jake would rip each other apart.

ABrown

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The end of season five pretty much marked the end of nearly all of the original cast from the first couple of seasons. Jo, Jane, and Kim were already gone. And once the final episode of season five concluded, gone were Alison, Jake, and Sidney as well. Matt only last one episode into season six, so I don't know why he didn't just leave at the end of season five too. When shows come to an end, I really enjoy seeing some of the original characters return for the finale. I really would've liked to have seen Jo, Jake, Billy, and Allison come back for the series finale. What I've always felt that should've happened in the series finale, is Lexy would've sold the complex. But the new owners were going to demolish the building (whether it be to put up some kind of retail store or whatever, but that's irrelevant). It would've been kind of cool for the final scene to have been the building getting demolished with Michael, Jane, Jo, Jake, Billy, and Allison looking on. The Barenaked Ladies song "The Old Apartment" would've been playing in the background, instead of "Closing Time".

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Matt only last one episode into season six, so I don't know why he didn't just leave at the end of season five too.

Doug Savant had actually signed a contract to appear in 13 episodes of season 6, but since Heather got pregnant they had to rush the show into production and the filming clashed with him going that awful Godzilla movie, so they just released him from his contract as a favor. I'm guessing that his niece would've actually become a main character if that had worked out for them.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Doug Savant had actually signed a contract to appear in 13 episodes of season 6, but since Heather got pregnant they had to rush the show into production and the filming clashed with him going that awful Godzilla movie, so they just released him from his contract as a favor. I'm guessing that his niece would've actually become a main character if that had worked out for them.

Didn´t they learn that children don´t work in soaps? They had already tried that with Matt a few seasons earlier. They say that when they add children to a show, it´s usually the death sentence for the shows. Too bad MP lasted so long...

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Didn´t they learn that children don´t work in soaps? They had already tried that with Matt a few seasons earlier. They say that when they add children to a show, it´s usually the death sentence for the shows. Too bad MP lasted so long...

Chelsea had turned 18 at that point, so I imagine she would've hung out with Jennifer.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Regarding the opening credits of season 5, I've always found it strange that all returning cast members from the previous season received 3 clips each – excluding Doug Savant and Marcia Cross. I can understand that newcomers Estes, Rinna and Langton only received 2 clips, but Savant was an original cast member and Cross had become a series regular at the same time as Jack Wagner. It was probably a contractual thing, but I don't think that Kimberly was less important in seasons 4 and 5 than, let's say, Sydney.

I also think that season 5 was Matt's strongest season story-wise with his pill addiction, his abusive relationship with Dr. Whatshisface, and taking care of Chelsea. Too bad he didn't end up with Jeffrey because that guy was the only tolerable relationship he had.

Another mystery that has always bothered me is why only 5 of the 8 apartments were occupied at the beginning of the show. I mean, we saw some random couple checking their mailbox in the pilot episode (?) and there were also bicycles standing in front of apartment 7/8, but none of the other characters ever mentioned other residents living at Melrose Place. Plus, these "ghost" neighbors were clearly not invited to any pool party (or to any party that seemed to happen for every little occasion during early season 1). When Jo moved in, Rhonda was happy to move to apartment 4 in an instant, meaning that that apartment was definitely empty. In the opening scene of the pilot episode when Natalie is moving out and checking her mailbox, one mailbox has the name "Rupper" or "Pupper" on it.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Another mystery that has always bothered me is why only 5 of the 8 apartments were occupied at the beginning of the show. I mean, we saw some random couple checking their mailbox in the pilot episode (?) and there were also bicycles standing in front of apartment 7/8, but none of the other characters ever mentioned other residents living at Melrose Place. Plus, these "ghost" neighbors were clearly not invited to any pool party (or to any party that seemed to happen for every little occasion during early season 1). When Jo moved in, Rhonda was happy to move to apartment 4 in an instant, meaning that that apartment was definitely empty. In the opening scene of the pilot episode when Natalie is moving out and checking her mailbox, one mailbox has the name "Rupper" or "Pupper" on it.

I suspect that the original plan was that there were indeed other people living in the building besides "the gang" (they might've even planned that the complex was a bit bigger than it originally was - ie some more ghost apartments from where the camera is facing?) - clearly they must've dropped this quickly since they realised that it just looked silly.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nice review, but I can't forgive the author for omitting the legendary, beautiful doormat Jane Andrews Mancini from the list of "The Players".
(He also forgot Brooke and Peter, but that's fine with me in this context.)