• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Mexican Telenovelas

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My sister-in-law and I were discussing last night that we wanted to watch a Mexican telenovela. My sisters-in-law watch a lot of Korean dramas (or they have before) and I've been itching to watch a good, soapy, totally chaotic Mexican telenovela for myself.

I've watched the "Telenovelas Are Hell" videos on YouTube, but I can't find a good app or streaming service with telenovelas.

Does anybody know of one? Where can I watch telenovelas for free?

Does anyone have any favorite Mexican telenovelas?

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Help please! I have googled many times trying to find a good, chaotic, completely over-the-top Mexican telenovela.

Can someone help me?

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
The only Spanish language telenovela I've watched in recent years is Betty en NY, but I don't really recommend it, it was too stupid for my taste. I enjoyed Brazil's Totalmente Demais, but that's in portuguese and I don't know if that's an option.

I also watched Escrava Isaura back in the days. Until today it's called the most watched telenovela of all time, but it's also from Brazil. Escrava Isaura was so unique that it was even broadcast in Eastern Bloc countries when US series were not yet allowed there, it also aired in China. Fidel Castros was so enthusiastic that he had the Central Committee meetings in Cuba postponed so as not to miss a single episode of Escrava Isaura.

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Help please! I have googled many times trying to find a good, chaotic, completely over-the-top Mexican telenovela.

Can someone help me?
I can’t be of much help as I’ve never watched any of them but I know of La Madrastra because they used to show clips of it on The Soup in the 00’s. It seemed ridiculously OTT. There’s also a Mexican one from the 80’s called Cuna de Lobos which was apparently huge and featured a murderous matriarch wearing an eye patch. It looks very camp.
I also watched Escrava Isaura back in the days. Until today it's called the most watched telenovela of all time, but it's also from Brazil. Escrava Isaura was so unique that it was even broadcast in Eastern Bloc countries when US series were not yet allowed there, it also aired in China. Fidel Castros was so enthusiastic that he had the Central Committee meetings in Cuba postponed so as not to miss a single episode of Escrava Isaura.
Channel 4 aired in the UK. I don’t think any South American telenovela aired on mainstream UK TV before or since.

Yesterday from the Beatles

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Tarkovsky
Lol. I grew up watching mexican telenovelas, they were famous in Croatia back in the 90s.
This was my absolute favorite back then
(here you have it with english subs, I think it's work in progress);
I also liked:
Rosa salvaje (1988),
Lazos de Amor (1995),
La Usurpadora (1988).

However, I think that Esmeralda (1997) and Marisol (1996) were the most famous one in my country.

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have seen a couple of those. "La Madrastra" was very good and the murder mystery was done right also "La Intrusa" and "Las Vías del Amor" (although this one was extremely violent and crazy).

"Las Vías del Amor" had a fascinating villain named Catalina Valencia played by actress Sasha Montenegro. Alexis Carrington was an innocent kitten compared to her.

Attachments

• CCPIKZA6DBHELEULUQGPYAJERU.jpg
    CCPIKZA6DBHELEULUQGPYAJERU.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 18