Netflix Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This was not an easy watch for so many reasons but well worth watching nonetheless. Like most drama series these days, it has a fluid timeline and the story jumps around to different points in Dahmer's life. The murders are graphic and uncomfortable to see but equally shocking was the racism of the police in how they dismissed complaints against Dahmer from victims who got away and a neighbour who had grave suspicions about what was going on.

The series is gripping and Evan Peters, who played Jeffrey Dahmer was outstanding, as was Niecy Nash who played his neighbour.

I read there has been criticism of the series because some think it exploits the victims and causes pain for their family but I think they made a good effort to make some of his victims three dimensional characters, telling their back stories too so they weren't just numbers were put on screen purely to further the horrors of Dahmer himself.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had heard of Jeffrey Dahmer but paid little attention to his heinous crimes. So I went into watching this limited series with an open mind. I won't discuss the horrible human being that he was but I was thankful Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan put the spotlight on others, most notably Tony Hughes, the young deaf man. This episode really hit me hard simply because how the way it was told. When Tony was communicating with this family we (the viewer) were offered an insight to a deaf persons world...silence.

I was appalled at the incompetence of those in charge, especially so when 2 police officers actually assist one of the victims back to Dahmer's apartment despite the objections from witnesses. I sat in total disbelief.

I'm not sure why the series is being criticised. As I said I knew little about the man prior to watching this but I thought on the whole it was a balanced series which not only told the story of Dahmer but more importantly his victims and their families.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Let these vile beasts rot in hell, and never mention their names again.

They really are turned into celebrities. Many people even have an encyclopedic knowledge of them. I only know who they are for horoscopic purposes.

Rove said:
I'm not sure why the series is being criticised.

Because Netflix had it categorized it as "LGBTQ" and the movement felt it was negative representation. :lol: Seriously. I'm not kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have no interest in seeing this mainly because of the first word in the title. That’s what he will always be to me, a total monster. However, for educational reasons I can understand why someone would want to see it. We can’t pretend horror like this doesn’t in fact walk the streets in our society cause it does. I can only hope that the victims’ families can someday find peace.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Because Netflix had it categorized it as "LGBTQ" and the movement felt it was negative representation.
This made NEWS here in Australia. The LGBTQ really have become a tad sensitive. Their movement in this case was being reactive instead of proactive. What they should have done was grabbed hold of this and show how the authorities had zero interest in the victims simply because of their sexual orientation.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A very dark but insightful drama about Dahmer and his victims. I didn't know too much about the cases but having watched the series and read up on what they got right and what was added for artistic license, I feel that it was more accurate that many similar series.

I understand the victim's families criticizing another show about Dahmer, but I really did feel that it was very well rounded, concentrating as much on the victims and their families as well as Dahmer himself and his family.

What struck me though was how Dahmer was as a man - he was ruthless in what he did - totally - yet I did believe that he was seriously ill whereas with other serial killers they just come across as people who want to kill. He owned his crimes too and although he didn't come across as regretful at his trial, he still came across as a human but with serious needs and issues.

Please don't think for a minute that I'm condoning any of it, he was a cold bloodied killer with a mind blowing intensity for horror - but also a very real sadness and sickness.

I felt for his dad hugely in the drama too but that's more dramatic license because he was very aware of how odd his son was.

Overall a good solid drama that showed once again just how bad the Police are in certain situations and how they not only offered up a victim directly to Dahmer, they ignored calls from the neighbour about the horrors she can hear and smell. (although the neighbour is a mix of 2 real life characters, merged into 1 for the drama).

Evan Peters was creepy as hell as Dahmer - a brilliant performance, but my heart went out to those families who lost their loved ones in such a brutal way.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This was a harrowing watch, but also compelling, thanks to the actors. It felt very similar to THE YORKSHIRE RIPPER, where the police would dismiss claims, pleas, and cries for help that someone was targeting people from deprived areas. With Dahmer, it was gay people, with Sutcliffe it was sex workers, though that turned out to be media nonsense thanks to the sexism within the police departments.

I read recently that Dahmer's father is suing Netflix, for various reasons, one rumour I read was his father denying ever working with roadkill as Dahmer was a child. If that's true it angers me that they would throw this into something as serious as this drama to make it more dramatic. Like they needed to add anything to this horrific account.

The tape documentary that followed was really hard to watch.