• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

MP Sir David Amess dies after stabbing

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Its shocking that this happens - RIP and sympathies to his family
and also remembering Jo Cox's family at this time as it must bring it all back x

Conservative MP Sir David Amess has died after being stabbed at his constituency surgery in Essex.
Police said a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the stabbing in Leigh-on-Sea.
They said they recovered a knife and were not looking for anyone else in connection to the incident.
Sir David, 69, had been an MP since 1983 and was married with five children.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sadly a lot of hate has been whipped up in this country for political gains and David Amess's killing is a tragic consequence of this. I believe in a completely different political philosophy to Sir David but I did meet him once about 20 years ago, and all the tributes that said he was a kind and nice person are true because that's how he came across to me.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
Really bloody awful. Feel like nowhere is safe at the minute.
Not to dismiss the awful crime that's murder, and is mercifully rare in the UK.

A quick check on the government offical statics show that in 2020 1472 people died in road traffic incidents while in the year to March 2020, there were 695 homicides in England and Wales.

73% of homicide victims were male and killed by a friend/aquantaince or stranger. 27% were female and killed by a partner or ex or a family member .

Most people in my experience perceive that women are at a greater risk of homicidal violence in a public setting perpetrated by a stranger. The numbers show that they are most at risk in a domestic setting.

Men are at greater risk of being a homicide victim than women. Safeguarding men should be t the priority.

All that said, being killed in a road traffic incident is a more likley outcome than being killed due to violent crime.

The fear of being murdered is greater than the fear of a fatal crash on the roads I'd say you are safe from stranger violence.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I found the tributes paid to him in the House of Commons yesterday so moving by people of all political persuasions - i actually cried listening to them in the car on Radio5 Live when driving home from work. And for the Queen to grant City status to Southend is a fitting tribute

What a senseless act on a man that all politicians should aspire to be like, devoted to serving his constituants and not self serving and out for themesleves like quite a few north of the border.

Back in the70, 80s and 90s my mum was involved in the Community and with youth organisations and the local Labour MP at the time involved himslef in many of these activities, he was very approachable and a "well kent face" in our area. And he was respected by many people even if it wasnt the party you voted for

Now - Id have to google the name of our local MP as he is the total opposite from the Labour guy and invisible!

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
IS fanatic Ali Harbi Ali has been given a whole-life jail sentence for murdering Sir David Amess MP.

Ali stabbed the Southend West MP more than 20 times at a constituency surgery in Essex in October.

Last edited:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Absolutely - it couldnt have been anything less

Its sad that he seemed to be such a nice, decent, honorable MP and there arent many of them left

Listening to the 999 call was hard, his poor family having to relive it (or any victim of crime)