• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Murder Next Door - Shanann Watts story

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I watched the new documentary on Netflix last night 'Murder Next Door', the story of Shanann Watts. Absolutely heartbreaking, very shocking.

Anyone else seen it yet?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I haven't seen it, but she is from the community where I live. She lived here until her family moved to Colorado. She attended the same high school that my children went to (years earlier than them offcourse).

The whole thing devastated our community. She was very well known and we'll loved.

I guess I'll watch it...just haven't steeled my emotions enough yet.

Last edited:

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't watch a lot of "true crime" documentaries, if for no other reason than they tend to be cumulatively depressing. I thought this one was excellent, even though I don't think it contained a single piece of information I didn't already know, but that information was presented in a way that was concise and compelling. I was glad it was a single documentary and not a series; I find I often turn series off mid-way through as they tend to get bogged down in minutia and repetition.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Stupid, crazy husband. Frankly, I was shocked that his lover was a woman.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The story is fascinating. I watched it and I finally was able to understand why American medias were obsessed about this tragic story.

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The story is fascinating. I watched it and I finally was able why American medias were obsessed about this tragic story.
I had a conversation with one of her high school friends about this documentary after I watched it.

She said it was well done, but everyone around here is sick to death of all the coverage.

It's all sensationalism, no serious discussion possible solutions for the types of mental health issues or the patterns of abusive behavior that let to the tragedy.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes. I'm sure the media coverage of this tragedy was way too much ins USA. And most of the time to add nothing, or to repeat the same thing again & again. Like they do in France for our own tragedies or crimes.

The Netflix documentary was very well done (and enough for me)...

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I've now read 2 books about the case, having become totally obsessed by it after the documentary. In neither book, which are well researched and written, does Chris Watts show anywhere near the level of empathy that he should, given the horrific crimes. And it amazes me that anyone would think Shanann was responsible for causing him to do it, let alone accusing her of being the one who killed her children. I hope Chris Watts rots, but I am surprised that he doesn't at present seem to have had or undergone any kind of psychological evaluation. He is most definitely a narcissist, but is he a sociopath, psychopath, or all 3?

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've now read 2 books about the case, having become totally obsessed by it after the documentary. In neither book, which are well researched and written, does Chris Watts show anywhere near the level of empathy that he should, given the horrific crimes. And it amazes me that anyone would think Shanann was responsible for causing him to do it, let alone accusing her of being the one who killed her children. I hope Chris Watts rots, but I am surprised that he doesn't at present seem to have had or undergone any kind of psychological evaluation. He is most definitely a narcissist, but is he a sociopath, psychopath, or all 3?

I think Shanann (and maybe the girls) were just accessories to him, for his own satisfaction and ego and pleasure. When he got tired f them, finding a new girl/source of satisfaction, he just wanted to get rid of his previous accessories. Ending lives he swore to protect & love, just to get a new life shows not only a total absence of empathy, but also and egocentric behaviour : he doesn't want them anymore, so he erases them. They can't no longer exist without him, because everything is about him. The day the girls were missing, he gave a video interview. He was so enthousiastic talking about his f...g t-shirt... And showed no worries for his kids. It was no the behaviour of a normal human being.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
To take Shanann’s life was bad enough. But to kill his own daughters and unborn son is beyond comprehension. Shanann delivered Nico and he was found beside her. It’s unreal. And he has women write to him in prison telling him how much they love him. I would say they need psychiatric help as well.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To take Shanann’s life was bad enough. But to kill his own daughters and unborn son is beyond comprehension. Shanann delivered Nico and he was found beside her. It’s unreal. And he has women write to him in prison telling him how much they love him. I would say they need psychiatric help as well.

Women writing to him to tell him they love him are obviously unstable, unbalanced or worst. I can understand the physical attraction (the guy is good looking imo) but... he is a monster. No matter what he said in jail ("I am not. monster, blah blah") Chris is an evil beast, hiding behind the most charming smile.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think it's more the fact that what ever he is, it's not going to help his defense. He's got some sort of personality disorder (narcissist / psychopath etc), but that's not the same thing as being insane.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He planned the killing, he planned how to get rid of the bodies. He planned to sell the house and get a new life. So yes, he's not insane in the crazy meaning of the word.
He's a psychopath. But what ultimately was the failure of his plans, was he thought he was so clever, that he could outsmart a lie detector. If he was not such a narcissist, he would have known that the world doesn't bend on his will, especially not that kind of device.