Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)

Alison Carr

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Rove

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm in two minds about the revival and I admit I don't watch it but I think this is a good opportunity for the producers to give it a reset. I think the characters of Susan and Karl should be central but I'd love to see this series move away from Ramsay Street. As Karl is a doctor he could move anywhere in Australia. I'd love to see the two characters either move to a small country town where there are plentiful Aussie larrikins or one of the beautiful small coast towns up and down the east coast of Australia. Personally I'd like to see Susan and Karl move to a quint country town and give this refreshed series that unique Aussie sense of flavour. If it's more of the same I won't watch.

But I'm guessing the crew are already removing the dust covers from the studio in Melbourne.

Santa Englishboy

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The volume of new Neighbours episodes is yet to be revealed since the bombshell announcement that the soap is returning.

Executive Producer Jason Herbison has referred to “a lot of new episodes” while actor Ryan Moloney told TV Tonight he was returning to full time work with the show.

Now UK site Digital Spy is suggesting a two year deal of 200 episodes each -this would amount to 5 episodes a week across the 40 week survey year, should it pan out as such…. but it could be stretched longer at 4 eps a week.

In Australia Network 10 retains first run rights with Prime Video a week later.

Unattributed sources told the publication, “The plan is for Neighbours to keep its format as a high-volume daily soap opera, so it’ll still be the show that fans know and love.

“Plans are being made for two new seasons, which will run for 200 episodes each. It’s an incredible result for fans, who thought they’d seen the last of the show when the finale aired in July.

“The logic for Freevee is that daily episode drops will keep fans checking back on the streaming service and engage with other content available.”

A spokesperson for Freevee declined to comment telling Digital Spy: “Amazon Freevee and Fremantle are in the early stages of planning the next chapter of the show.”

A spokesperson for Fremantle also declined to comment.

Last edited: