Opinions Of Nicholas Pearce

Jon Ewing Jr.

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He’s one of the late season characters nobody seems to talk about. Think he was a good fit for Sue Ellen or was he just a wasted character?
Absolutely a wasted character! I was so proud when JR kicked his rear end and threw him over the balcony. Guy should have stayed out of things that werent his business.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
not sure what it says about the character, but what stood out to me about Nicholas when I watched the season a couple years ago was his world-class late 80s hair and sweater game - triumphant!

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
He was okay, but the writers had no planning time prior to the start of the 87/88 season (they skipped the spring hiatus, when most of the seasonal structure was usually plotted out, in anticipation of an industry-wide writers' strike which wound up being delayed for a year) so Pam's exit was problematic and Scalia's character got too much screen time proportionately.

I still recall groaning through Sue Ellen and Nicholas' post-coital scene -- and I wasn't groaning for the same reason they were.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
I actually thought his background with mob ties was pretty good.
Although the idea that the Ewings would be so cowed by mobsters like Nicholas' daddy is kind of a bourgeois scam -- oil companies as powerful as Ewing Oil was supposed to be bark orders at mafia dons, not vice versa.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
He was clearly replacing Jack Ewing in some sense...or almost:

1631825058242.png
1631825109403.png

The right pic with "James Bond" is strangely homoerotic...​

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I liked him and I thought he was good with Sue Ellen.
If she was going to walk away with someone I would have preferred it be him than that retread Don Lockwood.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If she was going to walk away with someone I would have preferred it be him than that retread Don Lockwood.
I honestly couldn't see her with either of them. It's definitely fate that she should be in some relationship with JR, even when they are battling, but if not JR, the only one I can see her with is Dusty. However, even with Dusty, she would seem incomplete without JR, like yin without its yang.

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There are characters where you feel that they won't last very long. I've watched the season only once and forgot most of his scenes but I never had the idea that he would stay around more than one season, let alone ride with SueEllen into the sunset.

It was around the time when Casey Denault and their likes took over the screen. It was not necessarily bad, just pointless for me.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I honestly couldn't see her with either of them. It's definitely fate that she should be in some relationship with JR, even when they are battling, but if not JR, the only one I can see her with is Dusty. However, even with Dusty, she would seem incomplete without JR, like yin without its yang.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've recently finished reading a biography of Rock Hudson and Jack Scalia features in it. He worked with Rock Hudson on a TV series called The Devlin Connection and Rock became a mentor for him and they became good friends. When Rock was dying and a lot of his friends were distancing themselves from him because of the stigma associated with AIDS back then, Jack remained loyal and often visited Rock right up until he was near the end of his life.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He was a good character but I feel when watching the season back that he just had too much screen time.

Also, for the season finale I just felt that it really wouldn't be Nicholas that went over the balcony as he was younger and fitter than JR, so it was all a bit silly.

And what's with the STOP ACTION during his fall all about...? Never quite understood why they did that.

It was actually a great end of season cliffhanger - totally and utterly ruined by the following season's premier which bordered on comedy.

But back to Nicolas, he was a character that helped develop multiple storylines and plots, but we just saw a little too much of him IMO.