Opinions Of Nicholas Pearce

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He was a good character but I feel when watching the season back that he just had too much screen time.

Also, for the season finale I just felt that it really wouldn't be Nicholas that went over the balcony as he was younger and fitter than JR, so it was all a bit silly.

And what's with the STOP ACTION during his fall all about...? Never quite understood why they did that.

It was actually a great end of season cliffhanger - totally and utterly ruined by the following season's premier which bordered on comedy.

But back to Nicolas, he was a character that helped develop multiple storylines and plots, but we just saw a little too much of him IMO.

I’m watching it now, season 11 is actually pretty good. Probably their last good season. And despite popular opinion, JR didn’t exactly toss Nicholson Pearce off the balcony. Lol

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The stop motion made it seem as if they were going to end there and the cliffhanger would be if it was Nicholas or JR. That, of course, would have been ridiculous because there's zero mystery to such a cliffhanger. When they unfroze it, it was as if the show was saying to the audience, "Fooled ya, didn't we?" It seemed a bit to me that after all these seasons the show wasn't taking itself quite as seriously anymore.
Sue Ellen shooting JR could have been a good finale, except JR getting shot again seemed uninspired. Even so, it'll they treated it seriously the following season that would have saved it. As #pete lashmar said, it was played as borderline comedy, except not very funny. The characters were not acting as if a violent crime which should have put JR very close to death had occurred.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I quite liked the character but not the silly mafia side story and the mob. I enjoyed his scenes with Linda Gray

My friends (who were still watching at that point and there werent that many!) used to say I bet he fights Sue Ellen for the mirror and hairspray in the mornings lol

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The stop motion made it seem as if they were going to end there and the cliffhanger would be if it was Nicholas or JR. That, of course, would have been ridiculous because there's zero mystery to such a cliffhanger. When they unfroze it, it was as if the show was saying to the audience, "Fooled ya, didn't we?" It seemed a bit to me that after all these seasons the show wasn't taking itself quite as seriously anymore.
Sue Ellen shooting JR could have been a good finale, except JR getting shot again seemed uninspired. Even so, it'll they treated it seriously the following season that would have saved it. As #pete lashmar said, it was played as borderline comedy, except not very funny. The characters were not acting as if a violent crime which should have put JR very close to death had occurred.

Case and point. When JR was shot the first time, we slowly saw his recovery as if he was actually shot. When he’s shot tte second time, if I’m not mistaken, he was up and about a couple of episodes later as if he wasn’t shot at all, not to mention from the distance Sue Ellen shot him, he should have been dead.

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Terrible character in a terrible season. Together with the other ‘guests’ they were given far, far too much screen time and prevented the core cast from interacting with each other.

I’ve said it before the cliffhanger should have been JR and Nicholas are fighting, the gun fires, Nicholas goes over the balcony and JR turns to find Sue Ellen has been shot by the stray bullet. That could have caused so much drama for the next season

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
By the time Nicholas Pearce rolled around my interest in Dallas had waned. I didn't like the mob connection as it wasn't a good fit for Dallas; much like the drug cartel on TNT Dallas. But this scene typifies how bad the writing, directing and pacing had become...

A good detective shouldn't have to ask if it's possible the boy could be using a false name. A good detective shouldn't have to be told if it might be a good idea to trace JR's movements. And Sue Ellen - more than anyone - understands how JR can operate and yet when Nicholas says we should put a tail on JR it's like a light bulb goes off in Sue Ellen's head and she believes it's a wonderful idea. This was paint by numbers stuff. Bad...really bad.​

Last edited:

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I also hated the mob stuff as well. It did not fit in the show. I had a hard time seeing Sue Ellen finding this jerk attractive given his earlier attitude. I have always hated that on shows and movies where a character somehow is attracted so someone who was rude to them earlier.

I laughed when he went to JR to complain on how his boss dressed him down for not showing up for his appointment with Sue Ellen.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would have said that earlier but her relationship with Dusty was always that of waiting to be rescued by Prince Charming. By this point in the series, I think she'd outgrown him.
I didn’t see the chemistry between Sue Ellen and Nick but I think she had terrific chemistry with Dusty at first. But once he decided to go play with cows instead on the circuit I think it was obvious she had outgrown him.