• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Pamela Sue Martin-the real reason she left Dyansty

MenaceTheDennis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've heard different things over the years. Lately I've heard on a different site she was addicted to coke and Aaron Spelling let her go to get clean and let her say she wanted to leave the show due to the pressures of fame and wanted to move on. I've also heard as I'm sure all of you on here that her hair was falling out and she had a certain illness which I can't remember. Also there's the story about her wanting a film career. Then there's the story that she was bored with the show and Fallon. Why would she walk away from such a mega hit show? As Joan said it was the complete opposite of the rat deserting the sinking ship. The show lost so much and was never the same after she left. Even John Forsythe said words to this effect. I don't care how much Emma improved in season 9 she was never Fallon.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Apparently she wanted to leave after her buddy Al Corley left at the end of Season 2. She later said that the writing for Fallon became blah and victimy, and that the show had metamorphosed from a witty satire about the rich and famous into a lame celebration of the rich and famous. Plus, the Shapiros were majorly pissed when she turned down their planned hotelier spin-off... Supposedly, the spotlight was getting too intense as well, but I suspect she saw the writing on the outhouse wall and wanted out -- so it wasn't (as Joan asserted, trying to sound funny and quotable) the opposite of a rat deserting a sinking ship but instead the deserting of a ship which had foundered and would be indeed sinking at any moment.

Also, she had reportedly contracted hepatitis. The tabloids said Spelling offered her a million dollar bonus to stay. They again asked her back for THE COLBYS (she obviously refused) and I wished they'd asked her back for Season 9 and they almost did (although Samms did her best work there, and got her best material as well).

I don't think Martin feels she made a mistake.

fallonchristmas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Lately I've heard on a different site she was addicted to coke and Aaron Spelling let her go to get clean and let her say she wanted to leave the show due to the pressures of fame and wanted to move on
Wasn't that Catherine Oxenberg, who also wanted a raise? And then when she did leave of her own accord Spelling splashed it all over the headlines that she had been axed from the show.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wasn't that Catherine Oxenberg, who also wanted a raise? And then when she did leave of her own accord Spelling splashed it all over the headlines that she had been axed from the show.

Wait, Catherine left of her own accord? This is the first I heard of that. ^^

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Wait, Catherine left of her own accord? This is the first I heard of that. ^^
Well not exactly, she was let go. But Spelling assured her before she left that the story to the press would be she decided to leave of her own accord. Like what happened to Linda Gray on Dallas. Only Spelling didn't keep his word. The next day the papers all ran with Oxenberg Fired. She mentions it on one of those DYNASTY behind the scenes shows.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well not exactly, she was let go. But Spelling assured her before she left that the story to the press would be she decided to leave of her own accord. Like what happened to Linda Gray on Dallas. Only Spelling didn't keep his word. The next day the papers all ran with Oxenberg Fired. She mentions it on one of those DYNASTY behind the scenes shows.

Oh that's right, now I remember. What a jerk. And he was a fool to let Catherine go; regardless of her acting abilities, she was perfect as Amanda, and she was perfect for DYNASTY.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Apparently she wanted to leave after her buddy Al Corley left at the end of Season 2. She later said that the writing for Fallon became blah and victimy, and that the show had metamorphosed from a witty satire about the rich and famous into a lame celebration of the rich and famous. Plus, the Shapiros were majorly pissed when she turned down their planned hotelier spin-off... Supposedly, the spotlight was getting too intense as well, but I suspect she saw the writing on the outhouse wall and wanted out -- so it wasn't (as Joan asserted, trying to sound funny and quotable) the opposite of a rat deserting a sinking ship but instead the deserting of a ship which had foundered and would be indeed sinking at any moment.

Also, she had reportedly contracted hepatitis. The tabloids said Spelling offered her a million dollar bonus to stay. They again asked her back for THE COLBYS (she obviously refused) and I wished they'd asked her back for Season 9 and they almost did (although Samms did her best work there, and got her best material as well).

I don't think Martin feels she made a mistake.

So really, the first major mistake was letting Al Corley go - or rather, mishandling Steven's character was, since that led to Corley's leaving. So let's see...

-If Steven was handled in a much more respectful and well thought out manner, then Al would have stayed...
-If they never adopted the whole "celebration of the rich/famous" theme...
-If they never held a grudge for her not wanting to do the hotel spinoff...
-If they had kept to the original plans for Fallon in season 3 in giving her meatier stuff to do and kept the character tough...

Then PSM most likely would have stayed. She might have toughed it out through the spotlight, taking comfort in working with a whole bunch of people she loved being with and playing a character she loved playing.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Coulda Woulda Shoulda... :(