Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
(Not entirely sure what the point of this is as it's not as if he will be held accountable for anything anyway.....)

The Duke of York must answer questions in a civil sex assault case in the US by mid-July next year, a US judge ruled.

Virginia Giuffre, 38, has accused Prince Andrew of sexually assaulting her in New York in 2001.

The duke, the Queen's 61-year-old second son, has consistently denied the allegation.

Depositions - out-of-court testimony - in the case must be submitted by 14 July, district judge Lewis Kaplan said.

In the US depositions see witnesses interviewed under oath by the other side's lawyers about their version of events.

The judge also ruled in the scheduling order, which is signed by lawyers for both parties, that a pre-trial order, which sets out the course of the case, is due by 28 July.
No additional parties will be allowed to join the case after 15 December, the order says.
In September the duke's US lawyers accepted he had been served with legal papers relating to the case, after a dispute over whether he had been formally notified of the civil claim against him.

Ms Giuffre, who was also an accuser of the billionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, claims she was sexually assaulted by the prince at three locations, including in New York City.

In 2019 US financier Epstein was found dead in his cell in New York's Metropolitan Correctional Center.

Ms Giuffre, who was then known as Virginia Roberts, says she was assaulted by the prince at the London home of Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, and at Epstein's homes in Manhattan and Little Saint James, in the US Virgin Islands.

Her case claims Prince Andrew engaged in sexual acts without Ms Giuffre's consent, including when she was 17, knowing how old she was, and "that she was a sex-trafficking victim".

The prince has consistently denied the claims and, in 2019, told BBC Two's Newsnight programme: "It didn't happen.

"I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened.

"I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever."

Earlier this month the Metropolitan Police said it would not take any further action against the duke after a review prompted by Ms Giuffre.

-
1635243267572.png

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Royal Family are in a panic because they can't find a way of blaming it on Meghan.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I feel sorry for the Queen and for his daughters.
I don't. The Queen should be telling Andrew to submit to the US police and answer questions they want to put to him instead of trying to shield him and paying for expensive lawyers to try to get him off on a technicality.

K

Karin Schill

I don't think the queen is paying for his lawyers. I read that she wanted nothing to do with the case and that Andrew and Fergie are selling their swiss ski chalet to pay for the lawyers.

K

Karin Schill

I heard Meghan might be called in as a character witness though since she is an American citizen and knows Prince Andrew.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I heard Meghan might be called in as a character witness though since she is an American citizen and knows Prince Andrew.
The anti-Meghan UK media have been trying to sling some of the Andrew mud in the direction of the Duchess of Sussex and so it continues. I don't believe for a second that she will be called as a witness. Andrew wouldn't ask Meghan and she doesn't know him well enough to be a credible character witness.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think the queen is paying for his lawyers. I read that she wanted nothing to do with the case and that Andrew and Fergie are selling their swiss ski chalet to pay for the lawyers.

Andrew has no income and the Queen has been funding him all his life. The chalet is being sold because when Andrew bought it he agreed to pay for it in instalments but he has fallen behind on payments and can no longer afford the debt. The chalet cost them £16 million, where do you think he got the money from? Mummy will either pay his legal fees directly or indirectly.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Now we need The Queen to tell the government to stop using tax payer's money to pay for his security.

K

Karin Schill

Well considering of what he is accused of, maybe he needs the bodyguards!
Then as for his accuser, it seems like she's been abused by many different men over the years. So I wonder how come Prince Andrew is the only one she is suing?
I mean shouldn't the first person who abused her (the family friend) be sued as well?

Assuming that person is still alive, it seems to me that he was the one who really ruined her life and took her childhood away from her. :mad:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Then as for his accuser, it seems like she's been abused by many different men over the years. So I wonder how come Prince Andrew is the only one she is suing?
I mean shouldn't the first person who abused her (the family friend) be sued as well?

Assuming that person is still alive, it seems to me that he was the one who really ruined her life and took her childhood away from her. :mad:
I think if he needs bodyguards he should pay for them himself instead of sponging off the UK taxpayer. I don't want my hard earned money paying for those shameless freeloaders.

It an interesting point you make about who Virginia Giuffre has chosen to sue. I suppose she is going for the perpetrator that she has the best chance of winning against. If I was her lawyer, I would have suggested she go after Andrew because she has a strong case against him and he has money to make it financially rewarding for her if she wins.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For what purpose would Andrew require bodyguards? He is no longer attending official events or acting on behalf of The Royal Family. From what I'm reading here in Australia he has been stripped of everything except I presume his title. This should also be removed.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Heh. I think that disastrous TV interview was the tipping point for Andrew.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
And don't forget how quick the Queen was to stop Harry and Meghan's security when they left the Royal Family.

If the Queen wants Andrew to have bodyguards, she can damn well pay for them herself.

K

Karin Schill

It an interesting point you make about who Virginia Giuffre has chosen to sue. I suppose she is going for the perpetrator that she has the best chance of winning against. If I was her lawyer, I would have suggested she go after Andrew because she has a strong case against him and he has money to make it financially rewarding for her if she wins.

Yes which means that it's really all about the money. It's not really about getting justice. It is about getting a payment. Maybe the money she got from her settlement with Epstein is about to run out?

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes which means that it's really all about the money. It's not really about getting justice. It is about getting a payment. Maybe the money she got from her settlement with Epstein is about to run out?
It's not just about money, it's about whether Andrew sexually abused a young girl. Whatever the outcome, whatever the guilt or innocence, Virginia Guiffre deserves her day in court, as do all survivors of sexual abuse.

Andrew refuses to talk to the police makes it difficult for the criminal case to progress so Virginia Guiffre's only course for justice is to go through the civil court which means a financial compensation for crimes committed if she wins. I think she would prefer Andrew to be prosecuted in court so all the evidence can come out but as that's not going to happen, how else is she supposed to get justice?

Last edited:
K

Karin Schill

I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve to be listened to. I agree that she is a victim of sexual abuse and I think Prince Andrew most likely had sex with her, even if he claims not to remember it. It is possible he thought she was older, that she had consented to it and that he didn't realize she was a victim of sex trafficking. If that is the case it would probably be better for his case if he was honest about it instead of just denying everything.

Still out of all the men who sexually abused her, I think going after only Andrew won't give her justice.

I wasn't aware of that it won't be a court case though. So I guess this means that Andrew can't be sentenced to jail like Ghislaine Maxwell was?

Last edited by a moderator:

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Despite the Queen's best efforts to distance the royal family from Andrew, it will still be hugely damaging for the Monarchy if the trial does go ahead and Andrew loses.

It will only hasten the calls from Republicans for us to get rid of the lot of them!