Print Ads for Primetime Soaps

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You have to wonder what ABC expected from Relativity in a Saturday night 10PM slot - it seems like it's targeting the W18-34 year olds, yet were those even at home at the time? ABC seemed to attempt again with The Practice at 10PM the next season, but gave up and moved that to Monday nights when they saw some potential in it. Overall, NBC seemed to have the better strategy by focusing on shows with more of a cult following like The Pretender and Profiler on Saturdays before it turned into a dust bowl in the early 2000s.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You have to wonder what ABC expected from Relativity in a Saturday night 10PM slot - it seems like it's targeting the W18-34 year olds, yet were those even at home at the time? ABC seemed to attempt again with The Practice at 10PM the next season, but gave up and moved that to Monday nights when they saw some potential in it. Overall, NBC seemed to have the better strategy by focusing on shows with more of a cult following like The Pretender and Profiler on Saturdays before it turned into a dust bowl in the early 2000s.
The only reason I can think of is that Sisters had ended its run in the Saturday 10pm slot on NBC a few months earlier, so ABC were maybe hoping to attract the audience who enjoyed something a bit soapier on a Saturday night rather than action (Walker Texas Ranger) or crime (Profiler).

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I rewatched SISTERS a few years ago and even though I still think it's well made I didn't enjoy it as much as I remembered it. Too much of the "feel good" factor and correctional behaviour.

I've also watched ONCE AND AGAIN but not all of it. Watching import TV in the 00s was actually much more of a challenge then it was in the 80s. Perhaps they didn't know how to target new audiences and this resulted in less commitment from both sides.
JUDGING AMY and THE GOOD WIFE (just to name some favourites) would disappear for two years, then return in prime time with reruns, disappear again and then re-return with new episodes in a very obscure nighttime slot (tiny print in the TV guide which made it very easy to miss it).
It was a mess and at some point I decided to give up and buy the remaining seasons of THE GOOD WIFE on DVD.
In a similar fashion I bought a few seasons of THE AMERICANS because Netflix refused to add new episodes to their catalogue. But the first, pre-content years of Netflix were awesome. They had everything, it almost felt like illegal downloading or something.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Watching import TV in the 00s was actually much more of a challenge then it was in the 80s. Perhaps they didn't know how to target new audiences and this resulted in less commitment from both sides.
Yes, it definitely felt like they were more trigger happy in the 00’s when it came to moving things around the schedules or just dropping them altogether. In the 90’s, on Irish TV at least, a show might get pushed back a bit (Melrose Place ended its days airing any time from 11pm to midnight while 90210 moved from 8pm on a weeknight to Sunday afternoons) but they were still accessible. Whereas in the 00’s, they’d either disappear altogether or end up airing at 3am on a Tuesday.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why are the ads for High Performance and Cutter to Houston (both from '83) in here? I don't recall those being soaps.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the poster included them in the context of them starring soon to be Knots Landing stars, rather than meaning that they were soaps.

I definitely remember the former having Lisa Hartman, for one.