Priscilla Presley and Victoria Principal

HelloHappy

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Freier Fall
Hi all,

Priscilla Presley chatted with Vogue about some of her fashions from the 1960s until today. She briefly mentions Dallas and says Victoria Principal used to shop at her store Bis & Beau.

I've always wondered if she was friendly with Victoria? I recall reading that Victoria once bought a house from her. I notice Priscilla used to compliment Patrick Duffy, Larry Hagman, and Linda Gray when discussing how lovely her co-stars were, yet I don't recall her ever mentioning Victoria in any capacity.

(Apologies if this has been posted before (I didn't see it anywhere on the forum).

Interestingly, here's Priscilla's first Tonight Show appearance with Andy Gibb as the other guest. Of course, Joan Rivers had to be the host that night.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
VP rented (or bought?) one of Prissy´s houses, but for some strange reason (an Elvis ghost?) she returned or sold it again.

1656709898140.png

"Hi Vicks! Call me the name... Elvis!! Oh yeah!"​

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
VP rented (or bought?) one of Prissy´s houses, but for some strange reason (an Elvis ghost?) she returned or sold it again.

View attachment 38729
"Hi Vicks! Call me the name... Elvis!! Oh yeah!"​
I heard it was because Ray Krebbs kept arranging clandestine encounters with random barflies and psycho roadside strangers there

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure I read a story this past week where Pricilla talks about this image as being one of her first scenes on Dallas and how nervous she was with all the dialogue.

imago0130114359s.jpg
I'd have to go back and watch the series but this scene would have been the Oil Baron's Ball and we all know Jenna slipped back into Bobby's life at the cowboys club. I suspect pretty much a full season might have been scripted and filming scenes might have been done out of order. Is this the case? It must be bizarre for an actor to film scenes and have no concept how it works within the story.​

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had read that Priscilla was pretty reserved on the set and kept to herself mostly. And given that Victoria was also not known to be personally close to her colleagues, the two of them probably didn’t have a lot to do with each other. They can’t have worked together that much anyway - Pam and Jenna didn’t interact all that much.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure I read a story this past week where Pricilla talks about this image as being one of her first scenes on Dallas and how nervous she was with all the dialogue.

I'd have to go back and watch the series but this scene would have been the Oil Baron's Ball and we all know Jenna slipped back into Bobby's life at the cowboys club. I suspect pretty much a full season might have been scripted and filming scenes might have been done out of order. Is this the case? It must be bizarre for an actor to film scenes and have no concept how it works within the story.​

That season, as usual, the exterior scenes in Dallas were filmed first, and as far as I know, the OBB scenes were the first to be filmed by PP. Even before the Billy Bob´s ones. So she must be remembering well.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had read that Priscilla was pretty reserved on the set and kept to herself mostly. And given that Victoria was also not known to be personally close to her colleagues, the two of them probably didn’t have a lot to do with each other. They can’t have worked together that much anyway - Pam and Jenna didn’t interact all that much.

In B. Curran´s book, they say that PP invited Steve and Patrick to lunch while filming the Fort Worth scenes. So I´m not too sure if she was that reserved. But I do have the impression that she and VP respected each other for their business-oriented minds, so sorry to say that there were no catfights there (or were they...?).

HelloHappy

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Freier Fall

I think she mentions this being her first scene in the Vogue video. I've sometimes heard of shows filming things out of order, though I don't know if it's common.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd have to go back and watch the series but this scene would have been the Oil Baron's Ball and we all know Jenna slipped back into Bobby's life at the cowboys club. I suspect pretty much a full season might have been scripted and filming scenes might have been done out of order. Is this the case? It must be bizarre for an actor to film scenes and have no concept how it works within the story.
My understanding is that a season was roughly divided into thirds, blocks of ten episodes or so, depending on how many eps there were altogether. That means writing would have continued on the second block once filming on the first block was underway. The first block included all the location filming in Texas, including stuff filmed at the real Southfork, as opposed to the cardboard patio back in LA that was used for the second two-thirds of the season. The first scenes to be filmed for the season would all the stuff in Texas. That would have included Jenna's waitressing scenes, the Southfork barbecue, her date with Bobby at the water park, etc. Studio-bound interiors like the Southfork living room, the inside of Jenna's condo and the Oil Baron's Club would have been filmed a bit later in LA. I'm not sure which category the Oil Baron's Ball falls into --it looks like a real location as opposed to a set so I'd guess it was filmed in Texas. But I vaguely remember reading something where Presley was quoted as saying her first scene with Larry Hagman was at Billy Bob's (the cowboy club) where, because she was so nervous, he deliberately fluffed his lines to put her at her ease.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh that name is so tempting to spoof...

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, terrible what happened to Lisa Marie Presley.

Didn't Victoria date Elvis at one point?
Did she? I know that Victoria Principal was the first woman that Anthony Perkins had a sexual relationship with, which was in 1971 during the location filming of The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, when Perkins was 39 and after Perkins had been with many men beforehand. Victoria was also one of the big female fans of "chauvinist" Bobby Riggs in 1973 during the Battle of the Sexes tennis matches against Margaret Court and Billie Jean King.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Victoria was also one of the big female fans of "chauvinist" Bobby Riggs in 1973 during the Battle of the Sexes tennis matches
Wait, so Pam would have no part of Bobby Ewing’s old fashioned expectation that the husband should be the sole breadwinner when just a handful of buoy years earlier she was a vocal champion of outright chauvinist Bobby Riggs?! What happened in the interim? Too many late-night bunkhouse acrobatics with Ray Krebbs thrust her on to the feminist path??

What would her Braddock Country Club tennis archrival Millicent Lawson have thought of all this?!

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm old enough to remember the Bobby Riggs/Billie Jean King tennis "rivalry" and it seemed to just be a silly media publicity event. Riggs and King got along fine in real life, apparently.

Maybe Victoria was pals with Rigg; hence, her "support" for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm old enough to remember the Bobby Riggs/Billie Jean King tennis "rivalry" and it seemed to just be a silly media publicity event. Riggs and King apparently got along fine in real life, apparently.

Maybe Victoria was pals with Rigg; hence, her "support" for him.
Bobby Riggs was the best tennis player in the world from 1944-1947 or so, and had famously won the Wimbledon men's singles, men's doubles and mixed doubles triple while an amateur in 1939. He was a hustler and big gambler. At the time of the Battle of the Sexes in 1973, Riggs was 54-55 years old and had a big scheme to challenge big female tennis players of the day and ridiculed the standard of women's tennis. Chris Evert turned him down, so did Billie Jean King, but Margaret Court accepted. Riggs beat Court 6-2, 6-1. Victoria Principal was pals with Riggs, and was one of Riggs' most high profile female fans of the time. King then felt that she had to accept Riggs' challenge as the Court match had damaged the credibility of women's tennis. Riggs and King met in a big $100,000 winner take all exhibition over best of 5 sets. King surprisingly won 6-4, 6-3, 6-3.

Yes, Riggs and King got on in real life. It worked at the time, Riggs dissing women's tennis and King playing the feminist champion.

Victoria saying "Oh, Bobby" in exasperation has a new meaning ;)

Last edited: