Promised Land - new vineyard saga in development at ABC

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
NuDynasty has a style no one still understands to this day.

Does it? I wouldn't call bad taste in humor a style.

Last edited:

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
NuDynasty has quite improved since season 3, although I'm not sure I would describe it as an adult drama.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've just finished the first episode of The Kings of Napa. It's OK. There's nothing new or out of the ordinary about the opening premise but I like the cast. I do wonder if the pace will slow down a bit because if they keep throwing around twists like they did in the first episode, they'll run out of soap tropes soon. It's not appointment TV but I'll probably dip in and out of it.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's not how I perceived it. I'm tired of the ever smiling evil character because it gives you up to those you wish to destroy. From the extended trailer - yes I know I shouldn't glean too much from a preview - but there wasn't one character I was drawn to. I think it's a flaw in most modern soaps. The writers are too busy creating characters that have all manner of nastiness to them.
Is she an evil smiling villain though? She's essentially Cliff/Digger Barnes in this scenario - she married this man, who took her father's little vineyard and turned it into a massively profiting corporation. When their marriage fell apart, he somehow got her family's land in the divorce. Hell, it's as if Jock actually did end up drilling on the ranch and then divorced Miss Ellie, leaving her without the Southworth ranch. I think her character has a lot to build on.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Kings of Napa bombed in the ratings - 253k viewers and 0.04 in the A18-49 demographic.
I'm not hugely familiar with cable ratings but looking at OWN's other recent dramas like Greenleaf, The Haves and the Have Nots & Queen Sugar they were pulling in bigger ratings in their later seasons than the Kings of Napa premiere.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not hugely familiar with cable ratings but looking at OWN's other recent dramas like Greenleaf, The Haves and the Have Nots & Queen Sugar they were pulling in bigger ratings in their later seasons than the Kings of Napa premiere.
Ambitions low point a few years ago was 481k viewers and the high point 1.18 million viewers. I think Kings of Napa is dead - the only saving grace is that Discovery and WB are merging, so OWN will end up, err, owning Kings of Napa. With that said - it needs to overperform on streaming and it doesn't exactly seem to be garnering interest from the other soap boards I've visited. The overall consensus seems to be that it's pretty bad.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The overall consensus seems to be that it's pretty bad.
They kind of threw everything and the kitchen sink at us in the first episode, in terms of plot, without developing the characters too much. As I said, I like the cast so I'll watch a few more to see how it develops but the plotting and some of the acting did feel a bit "Hollyoaks during a bad period" for want of a better description. In terms of new vineyard sagas, I think Promised Land will emerge as the better written and better produced of the two.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am hoping with Promised Land and Kings of Napa premiering this month it may renew interest in the original vineyard soap so Amazon releases additional seasons.
I don’t know anything about the kings of Napa. Love to hear about it.

Maybe a Falcon Crest continuation movie could happen after all.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
First reviews!

Both are positive, though it seems like the first episode sets everything up and the second episode is better.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
First reviews!

Both are positive, though it seems like the first episode sets everything up and the second episode is better.
I can't wait to see this now! Hettie's backstory sounds delicious.

I've given up on The Kings of Napa. Granted, I only watched a bit of the 2nd episode and while I like the cast, there's a smell of bad 90's daytime soap from the writing and plot. The person disguising their voice while extorting the family over the phone feels ludicrous, although the absentee grandmother living in Paris does have an air of mystery. Not enough mystery to keep me watching though.