Radio Times listings archive (from original BBC transmission)

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In case it's of interest, I've stumbled upon a great database which collates all the Radio Times listings, day-by-day, year-by-year.

Of course, I had to put "Knots Landing" in as a search term, and could then handily filter them by transmission dates. Here's the complete list. Enjoy! If you click on the date for each episode, it will take you to that day's listings which shows what else was airing around it.

Of course I'm very familiar with the infamous gap between 1983 and 1986 (the Beeb stopped airing it late Season Three then eventually picked up the next episode three years later in a daytime slot), and I well remember that a number of seasons simply continued from one another in the early Nineties. But something I'd all but forgotten was Season Four's The Loss Of Innocence being advertised as "Last in the current series", with the next episode airing some four months later as (effectively) a new season (even accompanied by a rare feature, according to the blurb). It's a testament to the strength of the storytelling in each episode at this point in the series that this still worked as a cliffhanger. I can remember obsessing over it during the summer, little knowing that the actual season finale was still to come.

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for this, that was really interesting to browse through. The beeb certainly played around with this didn't they? The 2 year gap between season 2 & 3 couldn't have helped with viewing figures.

I first started watching Knots during the school summer holidays in July 1989. It must have been Svengali episode, with Chip being introduced, then I remember Catharsis, with Karen setting up Sid's killers, and I remember asking my mum how Sid had died. She couldn't remember!
I forgot they repeated it twice a week that summer, no wonder I soon got hooked.

And I remember that huge jump from Wiling Victims in Season 4, to two weeks later seeing Val getting her babies back in season 7. Suddenly everyone was rich and glamorous, and Ciji was somehow alive again!
Happy days.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The beeb certainly played around with this didn't they?

They treated it really shoddily. I suspect it was the same story as the more recent one with the DVDs where the expectations were that it would immediately achieve Dallas-worthy figures and it was viewed as a disappointment for not doing so. It's a losing situation akin to being the younger sibling of the straight-A student who's also a whizz at sports.

The 2 year gap between season 2 & 3 couldn't have helped with viewing figures.

Yes, and right in the middle of that 2 year gap, the listings show that Gary pops to Dallas for the reading of Jock's Will. But we won't see the Knots crossover episode for another 4-and-a-quarter years. It's so messy.

I first started watching Knots during the school summer holidays in July 1989. It must have been Svengali episode, with Chip being introduced, then I remember Catharsis, with Karen setting up Sid's killers, and I remember asking my mum how Sid had died. She couldn't remember!
I forgot they repeated it twice a week that summer, no wonder I soon got hooked.

Oh, how lovely that you remember your first episodes so clearly... and what a great starting point.

I have very special memories of the summer repeats that year. 1989 was the year I resolved to record every episode to keep and rewatch. Up to that point, I'd never have considered keeping every episode of a long-running series because it seemed I'd never have the time to rewatch them all (ha) plus they took up space. Box-sets weren't a thing back then, and I probably had more of a "disposable" mentality towards TV series. The only episodes I held on to were key ones like end of year cliffhangers.

I'd begun my grand Knots taping at the very start of the 1989 with #14 With A Bullet from Season Six, and taped all the remaining episodes from that season, and I was absolutely obsessed with it by the summer. I was especially excited about Season Four being repeated because I'd watched it a couple of years earlier and was gutted I didn't have any episodes on tape to rewatch.

To this day, Seasons Four and Six are my most-rewatched, mostly because those recordings were rarely out of my player for a good few years afterwards. With hindsight, I'd even go so far as to say 1989 was the Knotsiest year I've experienced. There was lots of great stuff still to come, but I was never more captivated than I was at this point in time.

It's really nice that these listings capture so much of what's going on. The little mentions of the record with the Knots theme, for example. Or the Dallas repeats beginning on BBC2 the Monday after Bottom Of The Bottle Part I. Let Me Count The Ways even features a plug for "The Shooting Of JR" the following Monday. And it's a bonus I've now been able to ascertain the day, date and time of the first Knots episode I watched.

And I remember that huge jump from Wiling Victims in Season 4, to two weeks later seeing Val getting her babies back in season 7. Suddenly everyone was rich and glamorous, and Ciji was somehow alive again!
Happy days.

Oh - that must have been a bit of a culture shock... in the best kind of way.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I thought the Knots airing was messy only in Catalonia! Here we got to "A Brand New Day" (Season 4) and then a break of over one year to reprise it with "The Longest Day" (Season 7). New hairdos, now Val has 2 babies, and William Devane is aboard, and missing are Richard, Kenny and Ginger. All of this on daytime, of course, one episode per day. Later there was another pause in the middle of Season 13, but then it went on until the end. The Reunion Miniseries was never shown here.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is the content I love! But what a mess. It must’ve been hard going to be a Knots fan in the UK trying to keep up with all of those changes. Would I be correct in thinking that the show had a rerun on UK Gold while it was still on BBC? And if it did, did Gold eventually surpass the BBC screenings or where did the last episode air first in the UK?

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have very special memories of the summer repeats that year. 1989 was the year I resolved to record every episode to keep and rewatch.

Yes, I did the same when UK Gold repeated the entire series again in the late 90s.
I went out and bought dozens of long play VHS tapes, and recorded most of it. UK Gold was bad though, I remember adverts keep appearing everywhere, and lots of scenes cut short to fit more breaks in. Sometimes they even cut to an ad midway through a scene.

BBC took so long to show the original run, the final series was shown first on either Gold or Sky One, one of the satellite channels. Then a few months later, BBC1 showed the final series, I think early in 1996. That's how I already knew Val was coming back for the final episode, so that surpise was a bit spoiled.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fascinating stuff! I love how almost every synopsis ends with either a ? or a … Prior to spoilers becoming a thing, those enigmatic little teasers in the Radio and TV Times were all you had to go on - not just for Knots but for everything. When EastEnders first started, they’d just quote a line of dialogue from the episode and that was it.

Interesting that Let Me Count the Ways was the fifth episode shown, rather than the third as in America.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When EastEnders first started, they’d just quote a line of dialogue from the episode and that was it.
I laughed when I saw this on old TV listings but there’s something kind of quaint about it plus I guess it kept things spoiler free when the only info you had on the episode was something like “Right, I’m going up west!”

Knots4ever

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow what a mess! I only ever watched Knots on UK Gold in the UK. Before then I was stuck with German TV and AFN (American Forces Network). Oh and the French TF1.

German TV was obviously messy but now it seems less so than what happened in the UK!

It started in Jan 1988, shown on Saturdays from season one all the way to season 5. Then there was a break of about a year but it was rerun Tue-Fri at 9am. Then new episodes arrived… shown on Mon and Thu afternoon but we were then told it would finish with episode 22 of season 7 (Highschool Confidential).

Little did we know that the reason was that another channel had snapped up all episodes after that. 3 months later Knots was back with S07E23 (using season 8’s opening) on a different channel, on Wednesdays at 4:45PM.

Ratings weren’t meeting expectations so the broadcasts stopped halfway through season 8.

The channel then decided to buy all episodes from season 1 onwards and started showing Knots daily at 1:30pm a year later… to compete with Santa Barbara on another channel!

I think we got up to season 11, then had to wait another year, sit through all episodes again to finally see everything.

Or something like that haha.

In between all of this, I also watched Knots on AFN on Wednesday nights at 9pm. The first episode I saw was one of season 9. Imagine my reaction to the season 9 credits when all I had ever seen was the big “O” across the Knots shoreline and the sliding clips!!

But that wasn’t enough Knots for me! No, seeing it in English and dubbed into German had to be complimented with the French version! First on Sunday afternoons then Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri. Cooooote Ouest….. Le long du grand Pacifique les vagues defient le temps….

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Would I be correct in thinking that the show had a rerun on UK Gold while it was still on BBC? And if it did, did Gold eventually surpass the BBC screenings or where did the last episode air first in the UK?
the final series was shown first on either Gold or Sky One, one of the satellite channels. Then a few months later, BBC1 showed the final series, I think early in 1996. That's how I already knew Val was coming back for the final episode, so that surpise was a bit spoiled.

Yes. I remember the final season airing on both channels at around the same time. I might have just made this up, but I could almost swear there was one occasion where the same episode aired on both channels during the same week.

I love how almost every synopsis ends with either a ? or a … Prior to spoilers becoming a thing, those enigmatic little teasers in the Radio and TV Times were all you had to go on - not just for Knots but for everything. When EastEnders first started, they’d just quote a line of dialogue from the episode and that was it.

I loved those days of being able to flick through a TV listings magazine and getting just enough of an overview to stoke excitement while still being kept in the dark about the bulk of the plot.

When EastEnders first started, they’d just quote a line of dialogue from the episode and that was it.

I guess it kept things spoiler free when the only info you had on the episode was something like “Right, I’m going up west!”

Behold...

This always felt really classy to me. I used to thoroughly enjoy trying to guess who would say that episode's teased line, and the context.

Interesting that Let Me Count the Ways was the fifth episode shown, rather than the third as in America.

Oh yes. I hadn't even noticed this. And it meant we had three consecutive Karen-centric episodes.