• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Random things you find overrated

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
A very interesting video. But a number of things that they pioneered all ready existed like loops. Often, I've noticed, the person credited with pioneering or inviting something is just the person that brought it to a wider audience.

The Beatles were extremely well managed by Epstein and George Martin honed their sound. If Martin and Epstein worked with another band they would be held in the up as the greatest....

I would suggest that in the early 60s there were few platforms playing the pop of the day. Because of Epstein's Labour's The Beatles saturated the play lists and a perception was formed.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Often, I've noticed, the person credited with pioneering or inviting something is just the person that brought it to a wider audience.
I think you're right. Everything is inspired by something else.
The Beatles were extremely well managed
I'm sure Take That got their fair amount of marketing too, and yet...how many Take That songs does the Average Joe remember?
(and the best song from the Take That franchise was Mark Owen's solo single "Four Minute Warning". Fact)
My point being: marketing certainly helps, but it doesn't write the songs.

If they are the most influential band of all time then maybe it was their immense popularity plus that seemingly endless string of future evergreens that allowed them to become influential. I think it's all a little intertwined.
But they didn't do "Nights In White Satin".

Because of Epstein's Labour's The Beatles saturated the play lists and a perception was formed.
And in this day and age it's possible to have your entire album in the top 10. Funnily enough, Ed Sheeran is not considered one of the most influential artists of his time (or is he?).

For what it's worth, I like Bee Gees better than The Beatles, but then again, maybe not all the time.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
A very interesting video. But a number of things that they pioneered all ready existed like loops. Often, I've noticed, the person credited with pioneering or inviting something is just the person that brought it to a wider audience.

The Beatles were extremely well managed by Epstein and George Martin honed their sound. If Martin and Epstein worked with another band they would be held in the up as the greatest....

I would suggest that in the early 60s there were few platforms playing the pop of the day. Because of Epstein's Labour's The Beatles saturated the play lists and a perception was formed.
You make some good points. Management, technicians and marketing have a huge influence on the success or lack of success of entertainers.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i dunno about that i know the beatles music far better than the bee gees. i love the bee gees but i don't know all their music and not everything they've done is good either at least i don't think it is but than i only know a small percentage of it

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i dunno about that i know the beatles music far better than the bee gees. i love the bee gees but i don't know all their music and not everything they've done is good either at least i don't think it is but than i only know a small percentage of it
Is it okay that I always found The Bee Gees a bit overrated? I quite often take some heat for this opinion but I’ve just never been a big fan of them for some reason.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't find them overrated but i enjoy their music maybe not all of it but some of it as there's a lot of their music i just don't know enough to say how good it is or how bad it is to be fair cause i just know the soundtrack to Saturday night fever (1977) which is a great album too i think

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
check out George Harrison's Version of I don't understand out of any version there is that one is easily my favorite it's also got tunes they sang back in their liverpool days such as Some Other guy for example that never made it on any of their albums great song too

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My favourite Batman is still the 1966 version. At least that was intentionally silly. With each new incarnation I just get less and less interested.
I have that one on DVD, and I strongly believe that Adam West was by far the best Batman, even if that 60s ABC series was crazy in any number of ways.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The show was silly, but I agree that Adam West is the best Batman

And far more fun than today's darker Batmen, especially that one of last year with Robert Pattinson-- that was nary a hint of fun at all.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
And far more fun than today's darker Batmen, especially that one of last year with Robert Pattinson-- that was nary a hint of fun at all.
I have always thought that Cesar Romero's Joker was a tour de force. He was having a ball with it, and he had that subtle. menacing
demeanor with it. Burgess Meredith is hands down the best Penguin ever, Frank Gorshin was the Gold Standard as the Riddler,
and the chemistry between Adam West and Julie Newmar's Catwoman was noticeable.
So many other wonderful guest stars and cameos.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have always thought that Cesar Romero's Joker was a tour de force. He was having a ball with it, and he had that subtle. menacing
demeanor with it. Burgess Meredith is hands down the best Penguin ever, Frank Gorshin was the Gold Standard as the Riddler,
and the chemistry between Adam West and Julie Newmar's Catwoman was noticeable.
So many other wonderful guest stars and cameos.

Believe it or not, those things are why the 60s Batman might have a welcome place in my collection-- I finished the third and final go (1967-68) w/the late Yvonne Craig as Batgirl (from my copy of the all-in-one DVD; still have the remainder of the first and second seasons to go), and while it had a quite infamous reputation with some people, it really isn't all that bad (only one true dud in it).