Dallas Couples Ray and Donna - Appreciation Thread

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I still get a chuckle out of Ray and Donna every time I watch the scene in season 8 (DVD) when Bobby takes J.R. to the office to listen to the recordings. Donna is great in that scene as she chews out J.R. and Ray seems to be deeply humored by it all.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I always thought that Donna was the most capable character when it came to facing JR.
She couldn't be fooled by him and she had the strength and intelligence to match him.
Dropping her from the show was a huge mistake that the show never overcame

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always thought that Donna was the most capable character when it came to facing JR.
She couldn't be fooled by him and she had the strength and intelligence to match him.
Dropping her from the show was a huge mistake that the show never overcame
Pam fans always say they loved her standing up to JR, but I only think it worked in small doses. I loved Pam that way too, but I don't believe she could've sustained that attitude.

Donna indeed was wasted with that opportunity because she always stood up to JR.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Donna indeed was wasted with that opportunity because she always stood up to JR.
Between her wealth and her political contacts in Washington, Donna had the ability to fight J.R. more than most. He had to respect her power, perhaps even feared her so this road should’ve been explored more at the very least. The closest we ever got to this was when Donna filled in for Bobby at Ewing Oil but that was far too brief.

Pam fans always say they loved her standing up to JR, but I only think it worked in small doses. I loved Pam that way too, but I don't believe she could've sustained that attitude.
I loved it when Pam stood up to J.R. too, but maybe the reason why she couldn’t sustain it was her ties to the other Ewings. She could hurt J.R. but that would also hurt Miss Ellie and that wasn’t Pam. I would assume it was also the same way for Donna as well.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Between her wealth and her political contacts in Washington, Donna had the ability to fight J.R. more than most. He had to respect her power, perhaps even feared her so this road should’ve been explored more at the very least. The closest we ever got to this was when Donna filled in for Bobby at Ewing Oil but that was far too brief.

I loved it when Pam stood up to J.R. too, but maybe the reason why she couldn’t sustain it was her ties to the other Ewings. She could hurt J.R. but that would also hurt Miss Ellie and that wasn’t Pam. I would assume it was also the same way for Donna as well.
It might have been interesting to see Donna further involved in Ewing Oil in some capacity.
Maybe representing Ray's interest, or as a swing vote between JR and Bobby, although that wasn't
the way Jock had set up the will

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It might have been interesting to see Donna further involved in Ewing Oil in some capacity.
Maybe representing Ray's interest, or as a swing vote between JR and Bobby, although that wasn't
the way Jock had set up the will
Of course there was also Donna’s “little oil company” she started. Whatever happened with that?

Maybe that could’ve gone somewhere eventually and become a rival company to Ewing Oil.

Karin

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree that Donna was one of the strongest female characters on the show. I think splitting Ray and Donna up and then writing them both off the show with just a season in between was a huge mistake.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I have said many times that Ray and Donna were the underrated strength of the show.
Susan Howard's departure was a major loss to the show.
I also thought that Donna was much more of a strong woman than Pam

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's such a shame Donna wasn't allowed more storylines to show what a strong character she was. Loved it when she stood up to JR, but it was always short lived.

Hated when her and Ray split up, there was enough of that with the other couples. Donna should have been used more to keep everyone in line from Ray to the women of Southfork. Her so say past friendship with Bobby should have been used more.

Donna definitely should have had more of a part to play in being able to oppose JR be it in a rival capacity against Ewing Oil, politically or maybe she could've headed the OLM.

She was close to Miss Ellie and Pam and I would have liked to see her form a friendship with Sue Ellen too. I think the only scene they ever had with just the two of them was a brief one in Southfork living room over cookies.

Donna was another example of strong females not doing enough on Dallas.

Screenshot_20231127_154525_Google.jpg

Pandora

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
None
I recently watched the episode Ewing vs Ewing and I love the scene where Jock and Miss Ellie make up in front of Ray&Donna even though Jim Davis was ill at the time. :):( I love them so much and it so sad that they didn’t get to live happily ever after with their daughter Margaret.:):(
I wish they had gotten back together with Ray going to Washington to be with Donna. The area is rich in horse country in Virginia and Maryland. I liked Ray and Jenna as friends, but not romantic partners.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish they had gotten back together with Ray going to Washington to be with Donna. The area is rich in horse country in Virginia and Maryland. I liked Ray and Jenna as friends, but not romantic partners.
I agree. Ray and Jenna just never worked for me. Granted they didn’t have the history Ray and Donna did but I think it was more than that. The chemistry with Ray and Donna couldn’t ever be duplicated with anyone else they would end up with. Ray and Jenna made for good friends to be there for one another in a listening capacity. I didn’t buy them as anything more.