• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Rewatching Season One (dvd)

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i put on the pilot on a lark last night i haven't watched Dallas for a couple of years actually, the last time i tried watching it i got about halfway through season 2 before i hit burnout. well season 2 dvd that is.

anyways, i was watching Digger's Daughter last night late last night and and we all know it of course :)

anyways it got me thinking when Pam is threatening Ray about Lucy my question is while it made a good threat that's true. but why didn't she say anything at all? i mean the girl was what 16 i think when the show started or was she 15? i forget which it's been a long time since i last watched it.

than it further got me thinking she never did say anything to anyone about Lucy Sleeping with Ray! honestly wouldn't have it made good drama had Pam went to Miss Ellie and said look your Little well she is short lol is.... we would have a good storyline i think plus a good episode. i dunno how far i'm going to be getting into the show again weather it's all the way to season 8 (DVD) or not all the way though season 2 but really for me the seasons i've seen the most is the 1st dvd set and i think the 2nd one cause i had those too the longest i think.

i really haven't watched a lot of Dallas since Soapnet stopped showing it at Midnight here in Ohio

now that i think about it, you don't have that many shows at least back than where there were teens on a tv show that did sleep around like Lucy did with Ray. i wasn't around in the 70's as i wasn't born till 78 so i have no memory of it but i don't think there were any shows back than that had that in them were there?

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i just got done watching The Lesson and it's a decent episode with Lucy Blackmailing the teacher and Pam. man does this episode just scream 1970's. i guess you could call it Pam's and Lucy's 1st episode story wise. episode wise it's not as good as Digger's Daughter but it's certainly not among the worst episodes either. rewatching season 1 and i know that techinally it's not season 1 but i call it that cause the first time i saw it was on the 1st season set and it's just easier for me to call it that way.

anyways, i was thinking about other show's that were around well that iv'e seen anyways that i love or even ones i don't like or hate and i think Dallas was one show that unless it was a tv movie or a mini-series they really didn't do episodes like this one for example where you have a teenager blackmail both a teacher and her aunt, well by marriage anyways.
so Dallas if you really think about it broke a lot of ground cause we all know it started the late night Soap as we call it now. even decades after the original show went off the air nearly 30 years we still are getting night time soaps like well the reboot of Dallas for example. anyways, episode wise i give the 1st one 10/10 easily and this one i'd say about 5/10.

not every episode in the 1st season is a gem. though it does have a good speech by Helmet hair Bobby lol that he gives Lucy. what makes me laugh each time i hear it is when Lucy says she is a Ewing now and how she was trying to help her. yet the entire episode has Lucy acting like a spoiled Brat and like a Ewing at the same time. as Bobby said they all love her but none of them have the time for her. and when Pam does show it she gets pissed about it my guess is she's not used to the that kind of attention either way i'm glad this wasn't in the pilot.

i will say while it's not among the best episodes it's really a shame they didn't give Lucy more storylines later on in the show cause she really ended up being a throwaway character sadly.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well i just got done watching Spy In The House which is one of the best episodes 10/10. not only did it have what i love the most outside of horror films it was a who dunnit.

meaning the Red files of Senator Orloff. Tina Louise was quite good in the role, one wonders why she didn't want more time on the show? it would not surprise me if she was asked but turned it down. my guess that she just didn't want to be on another series as a Regular like she was on Gilligan's Island. but that is just a guess though this is also the 1st episode where Linda Gray really has any dialog, yes she spoke in past episodes but this one she actually shared scenes with Larry Hagman in a precurser to what lies ahead i assume.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i watched Wind's Of Vengeance before Bed last nite and it was a good one, it was the type of episode that you really didn't see them do that much of, while it gave Linda Gray her first time to actually act her ass off. unlike Previous episodes where she didn't say much, but you can tell that from the last episode that her and Larry Hagman were talking to the producers and it worked cause she was given more to do.

it was also the 1st episode where Sue Ellen found out about JR's cheating ways, now i dunno if she knew about them in the past she never said word about it at least not that we saw anyways. but at the same time the whole family found out about it and the shot of him by himself was a great shot and a great way to end the episode. Brian Dennehy i had to look up the spelling lol has been one of my favorite actors since i was a kid. and he was damn good in this too and it's one of his first acting jobs apparently, not his first but looking up his filmography last night when it was on he just started appearing stuff that came out in (1977) so i'd say that year or the year before was when he started acting in tv and movies. since looking up a lot was released that year in (1977) when this was filmed.

anyways, i do love that Bobby knew something was wrong and the way that Pam did tell him without having the 2 creeps being aware what she was doing and they were standing right by her too. and you can tell who does run the house and family and it's not Jock, it's Miss Ellie lol. well when she has too i mean he he, anyways, you can't really blame Luthor either at all for being pissed at JR and Ray at all. than you Peyton who started out being the nice guy of sorts, than he turned into at the end a character from well The Last House on the Left.

Cooper Huckabee was damn good in the role though. my score? 10/10

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just got done watching Barbecue and it's another home run 10/10. ya know i really do wish that they would have ended the feud right than there instead of dragging it out, true they later did some storylines where they were damn good storylines i'm not going to deny that, but than sadly they got carried away with that feud and the longer the show went on they really got just plain stupid or so i've heard. anyways, it's also nice seeing JR being human in this one near the end. early JR wouldn't have pushed her in the finale he didn't here, but later JR sure would have. the writers just made him more evil as time went on and than even later on he became kind of a joke i hear.

doing stuff early JR would never have done. a favorite storyline was the fight between bobby and JR for Ewing Oil on who would win and so on. and it was the only time during the show where Bobby got power hungry and i don't think it would have worked early on but it did when they did do it. makes you wonder what Jock would have said on a number of things had Jim Davis lived longer than he did. but i really do love when Bobby tells Jock off and Jock may not like it and well he hates it, but as he said later on in the show he's the ONLY one of the bunch that to use my words to call him on his shit and stand up to him.

they only one and i think that's why Bobby is his favorite of the 3 sons he had. it's not because he's the youngest it's because the only ones to stand up to him are Miss Ellie and Bobby and we all know how Jock felt about Miss Ellie. well Bobby no doubt gets that from Her too. having her lose the baby was a good way to end a season finale even though it wasn't meant to be a finale. but at some point not letting her have their own kid and end up adopting later on i think the writers should have just let her and Bobby have their own kid rather than adopt. but than what do i know ya know? have Jock talk about Gary is a nice way to shadow? is the word i'm looking for? no not really but you get what i'm trying to say i'm sure to the season 2 Premiere where Gary does come home in that fantastic 2 Parter that i'm going to watch now prolly. next up a thread for Season 2

oh i forgot to add, that it's always Nice when Bobby does stand up for Sue Ellen, it doesn't happen often but i like it when it does indeed happen

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
for the past couple days there was something about this season that i have been meaning to say but each time i come on here i forget what the hell it even was? now i remember. with this cast and i'm talking about the ones in the credits not Linda Gray who was promoted in season 2 but the 6 of them i was going to say that out of the 6 it's hard to believe that 3 of them are gone now, Miss Ellie, Jock and JR. it's quite sad i think too

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
oh i forgot to add, that it's always Nice when Bobby does stand up for Sue Ellen, it doesn't happen often but i like it when it does indeed happen

Yes, I love the Lady Godiva scene.

The mini-series/ season one is the season I tend to dismiss, in a weird sense- maybe because Sue Ellen's my favourite character and she wasn't prominently featured. However, I did find the first five episodes of Dallas very enjoyable. Barbecue was my favourite. I really liked The Lesson, too. The whole first season set-up Lucy and Pam's relationship brilliantly and it's a shame that fizzled out over time. I wasn't too keen on Winds of Vengeance, it's probably the episode in the first season that I've watched the least.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i get that and i don't blame you either, honestly i dunno what my favorite one would be i'd say the pilot. but you are right it is a nice set up for Pam and Lucy's relationship she's a good influence on her i think too. watching Call Girl last night before bed it and talking about the lesson where in one episode she can't stand Pam though does learn her lesson at the end hence the title i'm sure. in and in the other she's glad she came back home, i think their relationship not being as strong later on may have to do with the fact that they really ran out of stuff for Charlene to do sadly. having her in her teens worked because you had her acting out and getting what she wants, than the pills etc.. but once she's a certain age you need to come up with something better and sadly Lucy was just one character i dunno that needed a lot more character development and good story arc's than she did end up getting sadly

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So, after more than a week, I finally rewatched season one. I'm still not a fan of Winds of Vengeance - the action-style doesn't feel true to Dallas for me.

I have to say I was surprised by how ballsy Pam was in the first season; it's a whole different vibe from how I perceive her character circa season 6. I also really liked David Wayne's performance. He's definitely the best choice for Digger Barnes - it's weird but even the height difference between him and Jock really add to the idea that Jock stomped all over him in their feud, whereas later on Keenan Wynn doesn't feel like he fits into the role.

I'm a bit confused as to why Linda and Steve didn't receive title credits. Linda deserved it, if only for her cringe Miss Texas performance (I really find that scene difficult to watch - and that's not a bash on Miss Gray's vocals). Steve deserved title credits, too, since he's crucial to Lucy's storyline.

Favourite episode: Barbecue
Favourite scene: Lady Godiva
Favourite outfit: Pam's dress in Barbecue

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well with Steve i agree i dunno why he isn't but with Linda now that i get cause if you remember she really didn't have much to do outside of that episode and that's one of her most cringe worthy performances i agree and yeah i do agree it is a weak episode. we all here have talked about how ballsy she was at the start of the show and i think the writers really forgot that as time went on. the later years of Pam crying i dunno what i want is a far cry of Pam in season 1 where she would have taken a shovel and hit Bobby upside the head for even going near Jenna for example. okay now that i say that i wish they would have done that lol.

i do agree with ya on David Wayne 100% i wish i knew why he didn't come back for season 3 after all Digger did do 10 episodes in season 3 and as for Best episodes i dunno i'd say a tie between the Pilot and Barbecue.