Roseanne (TV series)

TaranofPrydain

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Modern Times
If I weren't being too picky, I'd say ROSEANNE only really tapped out its final season. I've heard talk that the eighth season was supposed to have been the last, and I hate that it wasn't. The ninth season was a mess. I hate that they had Dan cheat on Roseanne: that was a major negative for this viewer. Dan and Roseanne had one of those rock solid marriages (despite all the hardships), and for him to 'step out' on her went against the very fundamentals of the show.

They way the writers handled Dan's affair wasn't that good either. I remember that episode and there wasn't hardly a laugh from the audience in it. ROSEANNE had 'jumped the shark' and they needed to stop. They went one year too many.​
Just a hunch that they kept it on the air for that final year, because Disney has just paid a large sum of money for ABC.... which was beginning to enter an extremely dry period. If you look at the 95/96 TV season, ABC's biggest scripted hits were all sitcoms that had been on for years: this, Coach, Home Improvement, Grace under Fire. Thie new shows weren't doing well, so i assume they left it on the schedule to just say they still had a hit, and then of course it all fell apart for Roseanne.

Disney wouldn't really have much success with ABC until 2004-2005, when they started Desperate Housewives, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, and Boston Legal in the same season. the only bonafide hits they had between 1996 and 2004 were Who Wants to be a Millionaire, The Practice, Spin City, and Dharma and Greg, while Alias, Sports Night, and Once and Again were critically acclaimed.

TaranofPrydain

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Modern Times
Roseanne actually pitched a 10th season, which would have featured her and Jackie moving to Vegas to raise their sons as single moms. Thank god that doesn’t happen.
Didn't know about that, but not only were fans upset about that final year, but the series had tumbled to 35th place in the ratings, not the worst for most shows, but pretty bad for a formerly red hot sitcom. I assume the single parents thread would have happened because John Goodman wanted out to do other projects (which is why he was only recurring in Season 9)

WarriorsFan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bad Boys
Just a hunch that they kept it on the air for that final year, because Disney has just paid a large sum of money for ABC.... which was beginning to enter an extremely dry period. If you look at the 95/96 TV season, ABC's biggest scripted hits were all sitcoms that had been on for years: this, Coach, Home Improvement, Grace under Fire. Thie new shows weren't doing well, so i assume they left it on the schedule to just say they still had a hit, and then of course it all fell apart for Roseanne.

Disney wouldn't really have much success with ABC until 2004-2005, when they started Desperate Housewives, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, and Boston Legal in the same season. the only bonafide hits they had between 1996 and 2004 were Who Wants to be a Millionaire, The Practice, Spin City, and Dharma and Greg, while Alias, Sports Night, and Once and Again were critically acclaimed.
ABC's primetime lineup was a mess from when Roseanne fell out of the Top 10 until the premiere of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, so a period of about three or four years. Monday Night Football and Home Improvement were really the only hits ABC had in that period.

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m currently rewatching through the show for the first time since it ended and am nearing the end of season two. The real success is that the family feel so real. This was how most families I knew acted.
I’m looking forward to seeing how things develop, I remember finding Darlene hilarious when I was younger.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I’m currently rewatching through the show for the first time since it ended and am nearing the end of season two. The real success is that the family feel so real. This was how most families I knew acted.
I’m looking forward to seeing how things develop, I remember finding Darlene hilarious when I was younger.
It was ground braking, in that it was closer to way that many(most?) families live

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was ground braking, in that it was closer to way that many(most?) families live
I had a friend who’s Mum was as sassy as Roseanne so the show is really striking a cord. It’s such a culture shock compared to shows like The Cosby Show or Family Ties where everyone was friendly and nice to each other (and rich!).

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved that it wasn’t all sweetness and light, but there were warm moments and ultimately a lot of love under the surface.

I still rewatch occasionally and think seasons 2 and 3 are fantastic. Season 4 is still very funny but that’s when you can see the Roseanne Conner character becoming meaner, and that change really poisoned the later years of the show, IMO.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved that it wasn’t all sweetness and light, but there were warm moments and ultimately a lot of love under the surface.

I still rewatch occasionally and think seasons 2 and 3 are fantastic. Season 4 is still very funny but that’s when you can see the Roseanne Conner character becoming meaner, and that change really poisoned the later years of the show, IMO.
ROSEANNE was superb for its first three seasons.

ginnyfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Watched TV Land today and they had the usual Roseanne Saturday morning marathon but with Thanksgiving/holiday themed episodes. Once again, it reminded me how good this sitcom was and how impossible it is now to have something like it. It's not just the non-stop jokes, funny lines and comedy, but the emotion and drama it always had in the background. It truly felt like these people were family, their chemistry and interaction was so real. Moments like Darlene having to read her poem in front of the school while Roseanne and Jackie watch, or embarrassed Roseanne giving the sex talk to Becky and Darlene. Also the holiday themed episodes usually had the hilarious Nana Mary, played by Shelley Winters, who was of course a riot and such a natural fit for the show.

dell spacebar repair

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Watched TV Land today and they had the usual Roseanne Saturday morning marathon but with Thanksgiving/holiday themed episodes. Once again, it reminded me how good this sitcom was and how impossible it is now to have something like it. It's not just the non-stop jokes, funny lines and comedy, but the emotion and drama it always had in the background. It truly felt like these people were family, their chemistry and interaction was so real. Moments like Darlene having to read her poem in front of the school while Roseanne and Jackie watch, or embarrassed Roseanne giving the sex talk to Becky and Darlene. Also the holiday themed episodes usually had the hilarious Nana Mary, played by Shelley Winters, who was of course a riot and such a natural fit for the show.

dell spacebar repair
Genuinely surprised (but thankfully so) the show wasn’t locked away after Roseanne’s Twitter storm a couple of years ago. Glad to hear TV Land has stuck with it and has separated the woman from her show.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Good little doc on the rise and fall of Roseanne Barr, with talking heads including her sons and first husband.

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the episode PMS, I Love You the other evening and man was that a funny half hour! Every joke was superb and I can imagine the topic of the episode and how it was handled must’ve been pretty taboo in 1990. Bar isn’t the greatest actor in the world (neither are Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen or Ray Romano for that matter!) but considering she has to display so many emotions and change them at the drop of a hat I was seriously impressed.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the episode PMS, I Love You the other evening and man was that a funny half hour! Every joke was superb and I can imagine the topic of the episode and how it was handled must’ve been pretty taboo in 1990. Bar isn’t the greatest actor in the world (neither are Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen or Ray Romano for that matter!) but considering she has to display so many emotions and change them at the drop of a hat I was seriously impressed.
Very funny episode, and it was edgy for its time.
I thought Roseanne's acting got a lot better as the series progressed. For someone who had never acted and then gets a whole sitcom based around her, she did an impressive job.
What went behind the scenes is another story.

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m currently watching season seven and it’s suddenly become the David show. Someone on the show clearly got obsessed with him as every story seems to revolve around him.
Also DJ has become the least likeable character in TV history!

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m currently watching season seven and it’s suddenly become the David show. Someone on the show clearly got obsessed with him as every story seems to revolve around him.
This is when the show started to lose its appeal in my opinion. I was never a fan of the David character in general. When the daughters’ boyfriends started getting more of the airtime I felt it took something away from the show. I thought it was better when the focus was more on the parents, with the girls and their boyfriends having smaller roles.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, ROSEANNE is such a hit-or-miss for me after, say, the first four seasons.