nuDynasty Episode Chat S3E13: You See Most Things In Terms of Black and White

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Speaking of Sam, his storyline with Fletcher/Not!Steven has been ill-defined from the start. I know when they're writing a "placeholder" storyline, but usually there is a beginning, middle, and end that hinges on how many episodes the placeholder character has been hired to appear in. Instead, they keep writing Fletcher off, then he just turns up again, only to be written out again by the end of the episode. I hope he's gone for good this time, since the back-and-forth doesn't really work when they haven't given the audience enough to really care one way of the other about this guy. I'm just hoping that he's a placeholder because it would imply something better is coming along for Sam, story-wise.

Some times I think they do new characters test. They introduce a character for 2 or 3 episodes, and they wait for the feedback.
Maybe they wanted Fletcher to be Sam's Liam. But the lightening doesn't strike twice in the same spot.

Liam was an happy accident. I mean I liked him immediately. Like I immediately liked Mathew Blaisdel and Mark Jennings. Yet, they killed them.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe they wanted Fletcher to be Sam's Liam. But the lightening doesn't strike twice in the same spot.

Hm, I don't think so. Fletcher first appeared in episode 3.07 (aired November 22nd) and they probably had started filming 3.12 and certainly written 3.13 by then. I get the impression that he had a five episode recurring contract that they needed to pad out.

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
They introduce a character for 2 or 3 episodes, and they wait for the feedback.

But what feedback, feedback of whom? Those episodes were shot several months ago.
Or do you think they shoot one episode from Monday to Thursday and then air it on Friday? :D

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Some of the feedback will be from the set. Do the directors see a 'spark' in the scenes? Are the actors displaying the right chemistry in their scenes? Is the actor getting along with others and hitting his marks, etc.? Sometimes their ability to mesh into an established ensemble (add to it, not cause it to go off-kilter) goes a long way toward impressing the producers and encouraging them to write more for them. All this stuff can be observed while filming, and if it shows well onscreen, then the show might decide to pursue it further.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But what feedback, feedback of whom? Those episodes were shot several months ago.
Or do you think they shoot one episode from Monday to Thursday and then air it on Friday? :D

Actually I mean that the CW and producers wait for the feedback from viewers to decide if a character comes back or not.
Liam was supposed to be on a limited number of episodes. After the airing of his episodes, the feedback was so positive, they hired the actor again. The feedback was again very positive and Adam Hubert became a regular.

That's what I meant with Fletcher. Maybe he's just a test, as Sam new Boyfriend. He had those very few episodes being with Sam, breaking up, back again, breaking up (oh drama that nobody cared for)... Now if the internet feedback was positive, they can simply bring the character back later. If there is no feedback, they can simply forget the character as he's not with Sam anymore. No more to ad to the "story".

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyway, I also wanted to say that Jeff is finally growing on me. I never cared for the character. But his alliance with Alexis makes him more interesting to me.
If the character had to die, there is a very simple soap storyline they can create to keep the actor.

ABrown

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Man, they will just create any possible scenario so that they can get Elizabeth Gillies behind a microphone. I mean, like I've said before, I love her singing as much as anyone. But these situations that they're creating, just to get her singing, seem kind of pointless (as far as the story goes).

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If the character had to die, there is a very simple soap storyline they can create to keep the actor.

Long lost twin brother that Dom gave away? :loon:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyway, I also wanted to say that Jeff is finally growing on me. I never cared for the character. But his alliance with Alexis makes him more interesting to me.

I hope they don't go down the twin/doppelganger route with Jeff. I kind of like as he's turning more and more relevant he's about to die. I just hope that his death has huge impact on the canvas and I guess they could always use him for future flashbacks if they want to have the actor around now and then.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Long lost twin brother that Dom gave away? :loon:

Of course. And she gave Miles (Jeff's twin) to her own sister. Because when they were 20 something, Dom's younger sister got pregnant. Dom convinced her to abort. She did but all went wrong and she was unable to give birth after. So Dom, who is mother material anyway, gave baby Miles to her sister to pay amend because she felt responsible. And now Dom want to use Miles to haunt Alexis and Adam, and also to make believe Jeff is still alive : this way Alexis can't inherit Jeff's companies and money. #fullsoap

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love her singing as much as anyone. But these situations that they're creating, just to get her singing, seem kind of pointless (as far as the story goes).
I recall when Designing Women was on the air, there would be at least one episode per season in which Dixie Carter (who played Julia) would sing. Like Gillies, Carter loved to sing and had a great voice but her character was not inclined to burst into song without provocation. The DW show-runners were well-known political activists and close friends of then-President Clinton, and would often use "Julia" as a mouthpiece for politically-tinged speeches that Carter, a moderate Republican, did not typically agree with. So they engineered a sort of "exchange" where Carter would put all she had into selling those scenes, and in exchange the producers would come up with some reason/excuse for her to perform a song at least once per season (typically an on-screen wedding or a dream sequence). Perhaps a similar agreement has been struck between Gillies and the Dynasty producers since....well, let's face it: they're working that woman to death. Giving her opportunities to sing/perform might be a large carrot on a stick that keeps her from possibly walking out from exhaustion. Even though they've made a noticeable effort this season to "share the wealth" by beefing up the roles (and giving more screen time to) the other actors on the show, Gillies is still the main character who likely has the longest hours and most demands on her time.

Someone with waaaaay too much time on their hands could sit by with a stopwatch as the episodes play, documenting how much screen time each character gets. I'd be willing to bet Fallon has more screen time than the second- and third-place finishers combined. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing--she's GREAT. it just worries me a bit that they're killing the goose that's laying the golden egg by not working harder to allow others to shoulder some of the screen time burden.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why don't they do it like with Dominique in the Original? Just let Fallon sing once in a while at La Mirage in the bar. Like that you could as well connect Sam better to the Carringtons.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why don't they do it like with Dominique in the Original? Just let Fallon sing once in a while at La Mirage in the bar. Like that you could as well connect Sam better to the Carringtons.

I assume because Fallon isn't supposed to have any singing ambitions? Plus wouldn't that smell a bit like Melissa's ambitions to become a singer on Falcon Crest?

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Okay, then not for the singing ambition, but for attention and public love. It could be a beneficial thingy to collect money she can use as positive PR and not paying anything for it herself. Or Sam could just ask her to be his gig there every once in a while, because he compliments her voice and they are friends. Just be creative and come up with something. Develop the characters. :D

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, her company is "Fallon Unlimited" so maybe she ought to go the omnimedia route like Martha Stewart did--magazines, books, product endorsements and TV shows!

On second thought, Oh, God no...just....no. Fallon hosting a talk/variety show (with musical interludes, skits and interviews) would be a train wreck that would leave me scarred for life.