• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

nuDynasty Episode Chat S5E19: But A Drug Scandal?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode Description:
"As Liam struggles with his conscience, he receives a not-so-inspiring sentiment from his mother. Fallon organizes a fundraiser to help save her horse charity, and Liam, Culhane and Sam are corralled to help, but Jeff is not convinced to join. Adam goes to Blake for help. Dex decides to deal with something on his own, which does not go down well with Alexis. Dominique is assigned a bodyguard by FSN and he takes his job very seriously, much to Dom's chagrin."

The episode is directed by Liz Gillies.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bad weather just blew through, and the cable is cutting in and out with those weird, pixelated images and skips in dialogue....so the blow-by-blow account might be spotty, too. If Fallon were here I'm sure the two of us could come up with some wacky plan to push the storm clouds inland and get the signal back. But alas, it's just me here staring at intermittent images on the TV ten minutes before showtime. :fist:

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Screen clear so far....thanks Fallon!. :hats:

Liam received an enormous check from Laura's estate, along with a bitchy note. She apparently did not have time to cut him out of the will. Fallon wants to read Liam's new book, but he puts her off. After Fallon leaves, he rips up either the check or the note...maybe both. Fallon has taken off to help bail out the horse charity, which needs help since Patty deVilbis bailed on them. Rumor has it that Patty got cut off from her father's fortune (which Fallon had something to do with). Sam and Fallon witness wet, shirtless Liam emerge from the pool and get a great idea for a fundraiser for the horse charity: a bachelor auction. Fallon decides to enlist every hot man within a ten-mile radius--namely Culhane, Liam, Sam, and Jeff, whether they want to participate or not. They. Do. Not. Mandy, a woman who works for the charity, is dead set against something so tacky, but Fallon gets her way as usual.

Dom is getting interviewed by Vanity Fair, among other things, and she's also getting a bodyguard since internet trolls been writing her nasty letters. So life's pretty busy. Her bodyguard is being played by Henry Simmons and he's quite serious about his job. You could do a lot worse, Dom.

Alexis tells Adam that several Alexam products have been yanked from the market due to complaints of side effects. Adam tries to brush off her concerns, then goes to Blake for help. Blake flips out when he realizes the injectibles "could kill people". Dex is concerned that a government agency is investigating, but Alexis foolishly says she trusts Adam when he says he did nothing wrong. Alexis should be happy she finally has someone to protect her from her blind devotion to Adam. He wants some of the injectibles tested by an independent lab, which causes a big argument between Dex and Alexis. He's doing this because he loves her, but she thinks he's being condescending.

Liam spills his guts to Sam about plagiarizing the professor's book, but unless I misunderstood (a definite possibility), he has the book in his possession but has not submitted it yet. They have not said what the book is about, so I have to wonder if perhaps the subject matter is so different from Liam's style that people will know he did not write it. Liam is just kind of moping around consumed with guilt. There's nothing worse than a hot blond on the skids.

Dom and Cristal are determined to attend the auction, but her bodyguard says it's too dangerous. She fakes being sick and shoos him away....after which Cristal leaps out from behind the bed (in full fundraiser garb) to join Dom in escaping to the party. The opening dance number is just as gloriously cheesy as one would expect (Right Said Fred was played), but instead of hooting and hollering, the crowd falls silent. It appears that Fallon has NOT read the room very well, since no one's having a good time. But Fallon soon realizes Mandy is coordinating it for people not to bid on the bachelors, prompting Fallon to call her a horse's ass from onstage. Mandy is intent on keeping Heroic Hooves a traditional charity, but Fallon thinks they need to modernize.

Blake and Adam head into the lab to steal back the Alexam vials that the FDA has taken; Dex and Alexis kiss and make up, and she agrees to have the injectibles tested by his independent lab. Maybe I'm over-thinking it (whaaaaat?) but it felt as if Alexis switched her allegiance from Adam to Dex in that scene, as if she finally came to her senses about that wacky son of hers. We later see Blake tell Adam that tests showed the injectibles were not dangerous, which makes Adam think he is in the clear.

The bodyguard shows up at the auction and tells Dom some (but not all) of the emails came from one of the losers of the NordicStar contest. They leave together, but Dom returns to find her loft has been ransacked and chases someone out. She's now taking the threats seriously.

Jeff shows up to the auction (after initially refusing to attend) at the last minute to commandeer the microphone and offer a fabulous "date package" that makes several women ante-up to help Fallon beat the fundraiser record. Well, and Fallon donates $1 million to buy half-drunk Liam before he makes a fool of himself.

Back at home, Fallon confesses she read the first few chapters of "Liam's book" and loved it. Liam turns the manuscript in, and Sam is disappointed in his friend.

While Adam and Blake are basking in a father-son bonding moment in Blake's office, Alexis barges in to announce that she discovered (via Dex's testing) that the injectibles had a drug in them imported illegally by Adam. So she called the DEA on him. Two guys come in and take Adam into custody. Blake is shocked but likely not surprised; the best he can sputter is that he'll "help [Adam] any way he can".

LET HIM ROT, Blake!!:dance:

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Alexis/Dex and Blake/Adam scenes are the better ones in this episode. Liam's dilemma continues, which is okay. But C3/Dom's teenage behaviour to get to the party resembled too much Fallon's usual antics. Also another party I don't care for because the cast doesn't have recurring roles to fill them with guests who deliver some spark (even at the mansion they call for Jeanette and she's not seen). Dom's bodyguard is hot though. The end with the DEA is a good start to punish Adam and Alexis showed some new characteristics that fit Hendrix's version of her.

MenaceTheDennis

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Overall, even by this show standards, or lack thereof, a weak episode, with filler scenes actually filling out most of the episode. Structuring almost the whole episode around a hunk auction was dumb. No Kirby (always a great thing), or Amanda. Dominique will end up happily ever after with her bodyguard. Obviously the highlight was Adam being taken away. Gee, I guess Alexis is growing a brain about how her sob son operates. Ugh three episodes left of this garbage fest. I’ll probably miss the hate watching of it a tiny bit though lol.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wrap up time for Dominique I guess with being paired off with the bodyguard (although I'm willing to bet if the show wasn't ending it would turn out he had something to do with these threats, but they might skip that now). Jeff is also paired up.

Yeah with four episodes left making an episode centered around a male hunk auction - it felt very "filler episode in the middle of the season" rather than a final episode(s) plot. Of course, we had Adam getting arrested and the FDA plot. I really wish that they would've put all focus on that plot instead of a filler plot with Fallon. It was nice to get more Dex / Alexis scenes too as it feels like they have kind of ignored their relationship for quite a few episodes now.

I wonder if...
Steven will tie into the FDA plot and Adam getting arrested.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If the DEA investigates just how those illegal ingredients got into the US, they'll most certainly look at Adam's passport. Someone (I'm hoping Alexis, though anyone will do) might see his visa stamps for Paraguay and France at the exact times that Steven traveled to those places and start putting the clues together.

I might be mis-remembering, but I thought Femperial (or what was left of it*) was Liam's publisher. If he were to simply say "Nope, I haven't written the book" to his editor, it's not like the company (now part of Fallon Unlimited) would sue him, since it's his wife's company. I guess it's about his ego and his need to be successful in spite of his mother's criticism from beyond the grave.

* Kirby supposedly sold off Femperial when she joined that cult, but in a later episode Fallon had supposedly bought it back to fold into her company "Fallon Unlimited" and spoke of how Liam still had a contract with them.

Lankershim Blasdel 1

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
This episode , to me, unlike the previous few didn’t feel revised or edited post cancellation news.
Alexis finally woke up, you would think held down face first in a fire place would have done that but apparently not, nor being framed for murder but better late than never I guess. The last scene well done.
I miss the season 1 ( I know I’m the only one, doubt that) and 2 template of the whole cast being in every episode and situations continuing and evolving like a (soap opera)
This clunky one off episodes usually centered around Fallon’s weekly nothings and last week Liam’s big bore sprinkled with a couple minutes of actual drama makes me wonder how are they going to wrap everything up in 3 more episodes.
3 seasons after Steven and Sam living at the manor or just still being around feel forced and unnecessary.
2 week hiatus ( this season started in December remember ) then the final 3, hopefully they go out fitting the name Dynasty

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I might be mis-remembering, but I thought Femperial (or what was left of it*) was Liam's publisher. If he were to simply say "Nope, I haven't written the book" to his editor, it's not like the company (now part of Fallon Unlimited) would sue him, since it's his wife's company. I guess it's about his ego and his need to be successful in spite of his mother's criticism from beyond the grave.

* Kirby supposedly sold off Femperial when she joined that cult, but in a later episode Fallon had supposedly bought it back to fold into her company "Fallon Unlimited" and spoke of how Liam still had a contract with them.
I genuinely wonder if the writers themselves are keeping track of it at this point. With that said, I think we're supposed to believe he has another publisher that isn't associated with Fallon at this point and I guess assume that it's something that happened off screen. Also, I doubt the writers actually gave much thought about that line about having bought back Femperial - it was likely just written into the script because they like having Fallon "win" at every turn and didn't consider that it meant that she again would own the company that has Liam on their rooster.

Last edited:

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Alexis finally woke up, you would think held down face first in a fire place would have done that but apparently not, nor being framed for murder but better late than never I guess. The last scene well done.
I find this late change of heart quite unconvincing. As you said, she did not turn on Adam after she ruined her face so you would think nothing could turn on him. Nothing except maybe attacking another family member... like what he did with Steven. If Alexis had found about this, it would have been more convincing to see her not supporting him anymore.

That being said, in the last scene of the episode Elaine Hendrix proved that she is perfectly able to play a ruthless Alexis.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As I mentioned in the synopsis, it appeared (to me, at least) that Dex was/is the catalyst for her change of tune. It felt as if pre-Dex Alexis was clinging to her children for dear life, since they were the only people on Earth who loved her (or at least tolerated her). Adam was the only one of her kids who took advantage of that devotion and twisted it for his own purposes, but I think that she would have allowed her other kids to walk all over her as well if they had tried to, simply because she was so desperate to have someone around who loved her (or just claimed to). I recall that when she bought that insane penthouse, she confessed to someone (Fallon?) that the main reason she bought it was because of "the view": she could see Fallon's office building and the hospital where Adam worked (and Amanda eventually also worked) from her balcony, and it made her feel closer to them.

An argument could be made that all her kids (not just Adam) offer her conditional love, and she'd been willing to accept that. Conditional love was better than no love at all. Once Dex walked into her life and showed her how much he loved her and wanted to be "on her side" the way a husband should, it gave her the courage and self-esteem to expect more...and to feel worthy of more. I agree that Alexis should have smacked Adam down long, long ago....but so many things Adam "deserves" to happen to him had to be put off in the name of keeping him on the canvas as long as possible. Unfortunately his comeuppance is the can that has been kicked down the road too many times, so it will be very difficult to create something rushed, yet worthy and satisfying.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, it's a far fetched explanation but somehow I'm buying it. Too bad that Alexis did not justify her change of attitude by saying that.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, it's a far fetched explanation but somehow I'm buying it. Too bad that Alexis did not justify her change of attitude by saying that.
Sorry if you can't grasp the subtlety and nuances of nuDynasty, but complex tv shows aren't for everyone x

Lankershim Blasdel 1

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
I buy that explanation in context with season 4 and 5, a bit in 3
Recasting and actress capability’s aside, season 1 Alexis manipulated both her kids for her personal gain and plan.
Season 2 Alexis instantly became a sad sack,
a punch line for Fallon, she pushed back the real Adam, knowing it was her thought dead son afraid of being exposed with Hank.
Season 3 new Alexis manipulated Adam to join forces with her and Jeff.
Current Alexis desperately wanted to be a part of her remaining 3 children’s lives.
So that’s the meaning of introducing this pointless boring Dex, to make Alexis become a better person I guess.
I wonder if Elizabeth wasn’t cast as Fallon, (if the CW didn’t think they could revolve the whole show around her) if this show would have been more balanced.
Nathalie was the first actor cast in this reboot, she was the potential star.
Even more so than S1 when it still was an ensemble soap.
Only 3 more eps to go and the synopses for the next 2 are out and sound like the same old.
I guess it wasn’t worth the $ completely rewriting these episodes but at this point the show should be running on all cylinders,
I do agree the 2 times I saw Alexis with this actress, having her son arrested and calling Oliver at Joseph’s funeral. Not enough for a 3 year stint.
EH plays up too much with the comedy but I believe she , Michael Michelle and Nicolette Sheridan S2 were done wrong.

Last edited: