Season 12 Awful

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Another thing that bloody annoyed me was nearly every scene Casey Denault featured in seem to start with him hanging around the front of some building waiting for someone
Casey was legitimately once of the worst characters in the history of Dallas. Always around, never interesting.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Casey was legitimately once of the worst characters in the history of Dallas. Always around, never interesting.

They seemed to want Casey to be JR junior. It couldn't have worked -- he had JR's slime but not his charisma.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wasn’t really a fan of this season. To be honest the range war and Haileyville are the only storylines that seem to stand out from it so that pretty much sums it up.

Bobby and Tracy were okay but here we were again watching him fall for the daughter of the family’s enemy. Kind of felt like we had been here before.

Sue Ellen’s movie and her exit was such a disappointment. Should’ve been handled so much better.

I think the tone of the season is set very early on when Nick’s death is swept under the rug with no charges filed and everyone moves on like he never existed. No wonder Nick’s father returned for justice but even that made no sense. Since when does the mob just let things go and not even the score for a loved one’s death, accident or not?

All of these plots were just all over the place and felt kind of thrown together with little planning but despite all this I kept watching the last two seasons. Wouldn’t have had it any other way at the time.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
They seemed to want Casey to be JR junior. It couldn't have worked -- he had JR's slime but not his charisma.
Casey Jr....Childhood memories from Dumbo...:jolly:

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve said it before but I think more than any other season 12 is a transitional year.
Season 11 in my opinion is the worst of the lot. It’s awful.
Season 12 - the writers knew they had to start injecting a bit of new life and that’s what they did and this peaked in season 13 when we had a much younger cast and new flashy opening titles. Had Baywatch or 90210 started at this point? Season 13 seemed to try and emulate those shows

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve said it before but I think more than any other season 12 is a transitional year.
Season 11 in my opinion is the worst of the lot. It’s awful.
Season 12 - the writers knew they had to start injecting a bit of new life and that’s what they did and this peaked in season 13 when we had a much younger cast and new flashy opening titles. Had Baywatch or 90210 started at this point? Season 13 seemed to try and emulate those shows

The network pushed for younger characters.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The network pushed for younger characters.
Which I sorta get,but also think it was a bad idea. Younger viewers weren't interested in shows like Dallas at that point. All the producers ended up doing was alienating loyal fans that still watched.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Which I sorta get,but also think it was a bad idea. Younger viewers weren't interested in shows like Dallas at that point. All the producers ended up doing was alienating loyal fans that still watched.

Exactly. And networks just can't help themselves. They do it over and over again. And it never works -- for precisely those reasons.

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ellie had a really bad habit of not calling the cops. Started way back in the miniseries when she didn't want to report those men that held the Ewing women hostage and subjected us all to Linda's singing.
It's funny how the BBC never showed that episode in the UK.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I remember reading somewhere that the writing goal for season 12 was to place JR in situations where his wealth and power couldn't help him.
Maybe with better writing or better storylines it could have been better.
However, I thought that over time, Jr became less capable in this series, made mistakes that he never would have made earlier in the
show's history, and it was ultimately, a badly flawed directions.
I have wondered that if Jim Davis hadn't passed, JR would have remained in charge of Ewing Oil, Bobby would become a senator or governor,
with Cliff and Wendell playing both sides against the middle.
The battle for Ewing Oil was good TV, but it never appealed to me that much.
Totally unrealistic to split the company in two, and then expect both JR and Bobby to be co-presidents.
This co-president structure is much more likely to fail, then succeed.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember reading somewhere that the writing goal for season 12 was to place JR in situations where his wealth and power couldn't help him.
However, I thought that over time, Jr became less capable in this series, made mistakes that he never would have made earlier in the
show's history, and it was ultimately, a badly flawed directions.

I have such mixed feelings about all that. I didn't mind JR becoming a bit more vulnerable in the closing years -- getting kind of burned out. Some people hated that -- they didn't want him "weakened" and therefore humanized; they wanted him full-on sociopath until the end.

I, for one, had no issue with JR being softened slightly, even depressed, as the show was aging. It's a slice of life, and I never saw it as the betrayal of the character as some did...

But it's the way they did it which was a disaster... Haleyville? The chain gang?? I'm okay even with those things happening, but the silly tone and details was what ruined it... Let JR lose his edge -- that's okay with me, but don't allow the show around him deteriorate simultaneously.

Yet they did exactly that.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Such a good idea with such poor execution.

JR's wealth was useless to him in Haleyville, but to think he wouldn't have used it to get even after he got back to Dallas is preposterous.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Younger viewers weren't interested in shows like Dallas at that point
An interesting point because I began watching Dallas as a teenager and it wasn't because of Lucy. Perhaps it was my own mature personality - back then - but I found it was the characters of Bobby and Pam which drew me in, followed quickly by that wicked JR. I liked Jock because he was a mans man. Miss Ellie reminded me a little of my own grandmothers; the backbone of any family.

Yet, when the Dallas brass decided to introduce those youthful characters I found them boring, un-interesting and offered little to the story...and I was still in my 20's. Perhaps the writers didn't know how to write for youth as evident with Lucy. She went from naughty school girl to pigtails to...well...whatever the writers could muster to keep her interesting. The harder they tried the more it was evident Lucy had over-stayed her welcome.

The introduction of James was another failure. The concept JR had an illegitimate son out there had merit but this story should have been introduced earlier and with an actor with depth, skill and a killer body. Imagine if instead of Jamie walking down that Southfork driveway it was some young shirtless guy, wearing ripped jeans and displaying a six pack dripping in sweat.

If it was youth the producers and writers were chasing then offer something tangible. Oh, wait they did...

Peter.jpg

Of course this was nothing but stunt casting and eye candy. Did it work? I don't recall at the time teenagers clamouring to Dallas because of Christopher Atkins. Another example of a good story but the execution of casting was off. Too many viewers found the relationship between Sue Ellen and Peter icky but then and now I still find this story refreshing until Lucy has a hissy fit.

So, I think the writers had great ideas in introducing more youthful characters but casting has to be spot on.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
James could have been a great addition to the show. It was a fantastic idea for JR to have a previously unknown son. The casting and the execution is what made James and his storylines so hard to watch.

I would have preferred for James to show up before Sue Ellen left - and of course, be played by an actor who can actually act.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
An interesting point because I began watching Dallas as a teenager and it wasn't because of Lucy. Perhaps it was my own mature personality - back then - but I found it was the characters of Bobby and Pam which drew me in, followed quickly by that wicked JR. I liked Jock because he was a mans man. Miss Ellie reminded me a little of my own grandmothers; the backbone of any family.

Yet, when the Dallas brass decided to introduce those youthful characters I found them boring, un-interesting and offered little to the story...and I was still in my 20's. Perhaps the writers didn't know how to write for youth as evident with Lucy. She went from naughty school girl to pigtails to...well...whatever the writers could muster to keep her interesting. The harder they tried the more it was evident Lucy had over-stayed her welcome.

The introduction of James was another failure. The concept JR had an illegitimate son out there had merit but this story should have been introduced earlier and with an actor with depth, skill and a killer body. Imagine if instead of Jamie walking down that Southfork driveway it was some young shirtless guy, wearing ripped jeans and displaying a six pack dripping in sweat.

If it was youth the producers and writers were chasing then offer something tangible. Oh, wait they did...

Of course this was nothing but stunt casting and eye candy. Did it work? I don't recall at the time teenagers clamouring to Dallas because of Christopher Atkins. Another example of a good story but the execution of casting was off. Too many viewers found the relationship between Sue Ellen and Peter icky but then and now I still find this story refreshing until Lucy has a hissy fit.

So, I think the writers had great ideas in introducing more youthful characters but casting has to be spot on.

Exactly. It's a myth that kids only want to see kids, but the braindead executives are always trying to find foolish ways to assembly line things, or dumb ways to fix them.

If kids abandoned DALLAS, it was for the same reasons the adults had abandoned DALLAS: bad writing and bad casting for the newbies.

In fact, when I was a teenager (and still, today, as a creaky geezer) I tended to hate shows and movies in their attempts to portray teens, as that was the age always, always portrayed most unrealistically. (And whenever a series was promoted as a particularly "realistic portrait of teens," that meant it was going to be even worse than usual).

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Such a good idea with such poor execution.

JR's wealth was useless to him in Haleyville, but to think he wouldn't have used it to get even after he got back to Dallas is preposterous.
Haleyville was an unincorporated community in the deep south though. Normal "law and order" doesn't apply there.